Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

I think the main reason that I would like to go up is because I'm desperate to see how ambitious our owners are. 

For example will we be looking to go all out for young European talents like Joao Felix?? Teams like Wolves and West Ham have shown that it's possible to sign top players from foreign leagues. I think because of the money now, the days of only the top 4/5 singing top players are gone.

What are peoples expectations of what the summer could hold if we are success full on Monday?

I think although the temptation to splash the cash would be there, what we will need should we go up is some continuity. Dean Smith has done an outstanding job getting the way he want's to play across to the players in the middle of a season, but that kind of thing isn't going to fly in the Premiership, we'd need to be at it from the start. We can't afford a quite few months while half a team gets used to the system.

Many people on this thread have pointed out that the first thing we need to do is lock down the loan signings that have done so well for us, I agree completely, I don't even mind paying a little over the odds to get them so we can keep the core group, and then we'd need to strengthen in a few areas with new players (i.e left back and right wing).

We'd need to be wary of doing a Fulham, signing top players from Europe is not as easy as the likes of Wolves make it look...

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In that interview it almost seems Tyrone is trying to stop himself from flat out saying he wants to stay.

He is very media friendly. If we sign him and establish ourselves back in the top flight he could become a legend at the club. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Am I the only person that doesn’t hate Delph? 

I blame the club more for how the whole thing was handled. If you break it out all down the club knew all along he was going. But they managed to get 6m out of it and also make him a hated person.

I agree with you. We're too fixated on how a naive kid handled the media over a few weeks, and ignore the several seasons of very good service that led up to it. Hard to argue with his decision now.

We forget that "loyalty" is often a cover for a lack of ambition. There was a great comment from Pochettino recently where he said he wants to have players who push for transfers to bigger clubs:

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/tottenham-boss-mauricio-pochettino-reveals-16242819

“I don’t trust the players who want to stay, not the ones who want to leave, because if they want to join a bigger club most of the time it’s because they are ambitious and want to win titles.

"That is the type of footballer Tottenham need because this player is going to give everything he has.”

I'd like to see us have this mentality. We should be a club where players come to prove themselves and try to win things, not a comfortable job for "nice guys" who say all the right things on Twitter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I agree with you. We're too fixated on how a naive kid handled the media over a few weeks, and ignore the several seasons of very good service that led up to it. Hard to argue with his decision now.

We forget that "loyalty" is often a cover for a lack of ambition. There was a great comment from Pochettino recently where he said he wants to have players who push for transfers to bigger clubs:

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/tottenham-boss-mauricio-pochettino-reveals-16242819

I'd like to see us have this mentality. We should be a club where players come to prove themselves and try to win things, not a comfortable job for "nice guys" who say all the right things on Twitter.

Well Gabby was quite loyal....

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think although the temptation to splash the cash would be there, what we will need should we go up is some continuity. Dean Smith has done an outstanding job getting the way he want's to play across to the players in the middle of a season, but that kind of thing isn't going to fly in the Premiership, we'd need to be at it from the start. We can't afford a quite few months while half a team gets used to the system.

Many people on this thread have pointed out that the first thing we need to do is lock down the loan signings that have done so well for us, I agree completely, I don't even mind paying a little over the odds to get them so we can keep the core group, and then we'd need to strengthen in a few areas with new players (i.e left back and right wing).

We'd need to be wary of doing a Fulham, signing top players from Europe is not as easy as the likes of Wolves make it look...

Wolves had a coherent strategy, Fulham didn't.

Clubs who have immediate success with European transfers often get several players in from the same country. Arsenal and Newcastle had a lot of joy taking players from France. Wolves with a Portuguese manager, couple of established Portuguese players from their promotion season, were well placed to welcome some new Portuguese players or players who had played in Portugal.

At the other extreme, you have clubs like Burnley who sign virtually all of their players from English lower leagues, and have good success with that.

So it's more about consistency than anything I think. If you just randomly throw money at a load of highly rated players from wherever, it usually ends in tears.

Given the makeup of our current dressing room, I'd look at English lower leagues, Scotland, Ireland, France, Holland, Scandinavia for good value players who can fit in quickly.

Back-to-back Premier League champion Fabian Delph isn't good enough to start for us atm. He'd be all over the place in that DM role and he isn't as good as McGinn or Grealish.

That £15m can go on something else.

Can't seem to start a topic, thats fair enough...

Wednesday are looking to sign Josh Onomah..i know he played a fair few games for Villa, he played about 4 for us...got injured, went back to spurs...

is he worth a punt?

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Clubs who have immediate success with European transfers often get several players in from the same country. Arsenal and Newcastle had a lot of joy taking players from France. Wolves with a Portuguese manager, couple of established Portuguese players from their promotion season, were well placed to welcome some new Portuguese players or players who had played in Portugal.

At the other extreme, you have clubs like Burnley who sign virtually all of their players from English lower leagues, and have good success with that.

So it's more about consistency than anything I think. If you just randomly throw money at a load of highly rated players from wherever, it usually ends in tears.

Given the makeup of our current dressing room, I'd look at English lower leagues, Scotland, Ireland, France, Holland, Scandinavia for good value players who can fit in quickly.

I think we were on to something with the French setup. We just seemed to forget you also need a defence and Goalie that gives a shit.

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I agree that having a good strategy is important, but it also depends on how far along in that strategy you are, Wolves only signed 5 or 6 new(meaning not on loan the previous season) when they came up, some of them were loans and not all of them went straight in to the first team. They could get away with this because they had a solid base and managed to get the players they'd loaned the previous season on permanent deals, so they kept continuity and added in positions they needed the most.

If you look at Liverpool they can afford to not really play some of their signings for several months while they get used to the system/culture because they have such a solid base.

If we go up and don't get the loan players on permanent deals then we'll need to replace them, and then improve the others areas, which would mean trying to integrate too many new players in to the first team.

I don't think European players has to be specifically the direction we go in, I think a mix of both European and British is better, but we need to ensure new players will fit the system and the group they are going to be working in and not just signing somebody because they are a 'big name' or play for a 'big club'.

2 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

Can't seem to start a topic, thats fair enough...

Wednesday are looking to sign Josh Onomah..i know he played a fair few games for Villa, he played about 4 for us...got injured, went back to spurs...

is he worth a punt?

For free or a few million yes. He’s an alright squad player learning his game. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For free or a few million yes. He’s an alright squad player learning his game. 

Did he play much for Villa mate?

He has shown glimpses that theres a player there, but went missing for 20 minutes at a time....bearing in mind he wasn't the only bugger lol

3 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

Did he play much for Villa mate?

He has shown glimpses that theres a player there, but went missing for 20 minutes at a time....bearing in mind he wasn't the only bugger lol

He played a fair bit for us in the first half of the season but became a bit of a scapegoat when things weren’t going well. I don’t think he would have been so hated had he been our player but there was no chance he was getting another season with us. 

edit: actually you summed up his time with us. Glimpses of a player but kept going missing.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Am I the only person that doesn’t hate Delph? 

I blame the club more for how the whole thing was handled. If you break it out all down the club knew all along he was going. But they managed to get 6m out of it and also make him a hated person.

Could have walked for free, but signed a contract that got us £6m. 

Harshly treated here in my opinion,  Some act like it would have been better if he left for free 🙄.

I can understand why he’d want to leave the shipwreck that we were to join a club that were clearly going places, and like you say - he got us 6m which quite frankly, he could have negotiated into his own pocket.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Fulham fell apart because their defense was complete shit.  Chambers was the only Premier League quality defender in their whole squad.  A close friend of mine is a Fulham supporter, so I've heard him moan on and on all season about how shit some of their signings were and didn't want to play for the badge. 

Just now, KMitch said:

Fulham fell apart because their defense was complete shit.  Chambers was the only Premier League quality defender in their whole squad.  A close friend of mine is a Fulham supporter, so I've heard him moan on and on all season about how shit some of their signings were and didn't want to play for the badge. 

Sacking the manager when they did was wrong too. I hope if we go up and are struggling we don’t resort to sacking Smith.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He played a fair bit for us in the first half of the season but became a bit of a scapegoat when things weren’t going well. I don’t think he would have been so hated had he been our player but there was no chance he was getting another season with us. 

edit: actually you summed up his time with us. Glimpses of a player but kept going missing.

don't think we can afford the risk then......signed so many wasters in the last couple of seasons its untrue..

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bruce likes him mate.

After flickin' through this forum mate...I dunno whether that is a positive or a negative lol