Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

See we have been tentatively linked with Joe Aribo in the brum mail via one of those click bait sites .. sure someone said recently they heard we were looking at him.. I’d take him and Powell on frees for sure.... 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-target-exciting-transfer-16305780

The latest name to be linked with the claret and blues is Charlton Athletic midfielder Joe Aribo.

Him and Phillips would supplement what we have nicely IMO ... 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, thabucks said:

See we have been tentatively linked with Joe Aribo in the brum mail via one of those click bait sites .. sure someone said recently they heard we were looking at him.. I’d take him and Powell on frees for sure.... 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-target-exciting-transfer-16305780

He certainly will be popular; both kids and grownups love him so. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Not heard we was looking at him until your post.. :) no one else has mentioned him on here.

He was one of my suggestions from last November on January transfer thread also this summers transfer thread.

Nick Powell is close to joining Stoke i've heard.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, sne said:

I'd happily have Veretout, Amavi and Gueye in the sqaud fwiw

maybe Gueye....but towards the end of his stay, they were going past Amavi, like he wasn't there......I wouldn't swap Veretout for Jack or John.

However, does seem like they have done better at other clubs, but that sometimes happens.

I think it was a case of too many French all at one time.....but the money we paid was a poor return.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

maybe Gueye....but towards the end of his stay, they were going past Amavi, like he wasn't there......I wouldn't swap Veretout for Jack or John.

However, does seem like they have done better at other clubs, but that sometimes happens.

I think it was a case of too many French all at one time.

Amavi was still recovering from his injury.

Would not swap them either, but as for having a squad I'd take them all in a heart beat. They were all on much lower wages than Lansbury, Whelan and Jedi.

I think it was a case of a club that was a total joke and incompetent managers.

2 of them being french was only an issue because the club was run like it was.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Amavi was still recovering from his injury.

Would not swap them either, but as for having a squad I'd take them all in a heart beat. They were all on much lower wages than Lansbury, Whelan and Jedi.

I think it was a case of a club that was a total joke and incompetent managers.

2 of them being french was only an issue because the club was run like it was.

fair point.

19 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Dwight Gayle anyone?  Albion have rejected the option of signing him.  Whichever league we are in next season, he’s a good option for the squad surely.  

Yes if still in Championship but can’t cut it in the Premiership.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Junxs said:

Exactly, Jordan Ayew too. it was failure by the coaching team and lack of integration - they have all proven they are quality players since moving on. Gil and Traore also showed glimpes of magic. Under the right management that could have been a good team. 

Certainly better than being relegated by Xmas anyway, we were that far behind that it wasnt even worth spending money in January to try to save the season.

This is correct. Almost every foreign player we signed has gone on to do well since leaving villa (except gil - but he won PoY or something in the mls) amavi, veretout, gueye, traore and ayew (less so) have all done very well. 

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So where is the Aribo youtube video?

Would he be a whelan upgrade, or is that a rhetorical question?

With only League 1 football to his name I'd imagine he'd be a squad option with potential to develop?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would love us to go after Kalvin Phillips if we get promoted. I've been really impressed with him everytime I've seen him this season. 

Must say I'm not a fan, I think he's a good player and would probably improve us in that area, but I don't like his attitude. I've only seen him a few times but on each occasion there were very reckless challenges and generally being a nasty so and so. I'm all for having a snotter, but they need to play hard and fair, not sure this guy understands the fair part and could be a liability should we go up and have to deal with VAR.

16 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Even if all of those players made the step up to the championship, the price of them would mean that we’d have very little money for other positions we need to invest in (DM and LB), and that’s before we even look at the possibility of buying the rest our loanees!

Imagine if we bought Mings, Tuanzebe, Hause, El Ghazi, Bowen, Lolley And Maupay. You’d be spending around £75m to essentially replace Green with Bowen, and Tammy with Maupay from our current eleven. That doesn’t feel like a £75m investment. I suppose £75m doesn’t go a long way nowadays, but I just feel like our new scouting set-up could find us ‘our own’ Bowen, Lolley and Maupay, instead of buying them while their price tags are at their peaks, much like Hogan and McCormack when we bought them.

How times have changed (sadly since we’ve been in the second tier). I actually think if we secured that lot for £75m it would be very good business. Just shows how much catching up and investment we need just to stand still. Too many loans, too many older short term signings, we have generally wasted money for 4 years.

• Like 3

If we go up and if we sign Mings, do you reckon Smith might play him at LB and we buy a new centre back? I can see How Mings could do very well at left back, we could also get some height along the back if we added another whopper.

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

If we go up and if we sign Mings, do you reckon Smith might play him at LB and we buy a new centre back? I can see How Mings could do very well at left back, we could also get some height along the back if we added another whopper.

I think Mings injury history along with the sheer size of him makes it impossible for him to play at LB over any longer period.

Also think he's way better and suited to play CB than LB.

My prediction is that if we go up, we will sign Mings, El Ghazi and Hause on a permanent, we'll fail in our attempts to get Tammy,  with Chelsea keeping him as a back-up, and we'll get Tuanzebe back on loan, with Man Utd extending his contract for a year and giving him Premier League game-time with us.

I would be happy with that, all things considered.

Mings, El Ghazi and Hause would be great permanent additions, probably costing around £20m for all three, and bringing Tuanzebe back on loan would allow us to spend transfer funds in other areas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would love us to go after Kalvin Phillips if we get promoted. I've been really impressed with him everytime I've seen him this season. 

Or Thomas Gravesen or Oliver Dacourt.....types.