Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I don't know whether I like all the talk of buying players like Maupay, Lolley, Bowen etc. I get that they're good players at this level, and that they probably have the potential to be better. But this idea of picking up the better Championship players seems flawed, considering the inflated English prices, when for the same amounts you could probably get better players from European leagues.

I'm no European expert myself, so I'm useless if anyone wants an example of the type of players we should go for. But I just look at Anwar El Ghazi, who apparently can be picked up for somewhere between £3m-£6m, and I see that as a much better option than splashing £10m-£15m on a Lolley/Bowen type.

I'd be interested to see a list of Dean Smith's Walsall and Brentford signings, including their purchase prices and from where they were bought from.

Like you, I am no expert.....but we have seen at first hand a splash in to the French Market and where that landed us.

but,You are also right the English players do seem a bit inflated and unless we are sure we are getting a good return ( as sure as you can be) it can be a punitive gamble i.e McCormack,Hogan,Richards.

Unless the foreign players carry a bit of durability, they too can be a huge gamble.

Watford do seem to be able to secure players with the required talent and the bit of steel necessary to survive....I think Norwich have done an impressive recruitment job too.

The business of knowing if a championship player will function well in the Premier League is a skill on its own.

who would be a manager?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Dwight Gayle anyone?  Albion have rejected the option of signing him.  Whichever league we are in next season, he’s a good option for the squad surely.  

Think he's a very good championship striker but below average PL striker.

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I don't know whether I like all the talk of buying players like Maupay, Lolley, Bowen etc. I get that they're good players at this level, and that they probably have the potential to be better. But this idea of picking up the better Championship players seems flawed, considering the inflated English prices, when for the same amounts you could probably get better players from European leagues.

I'm no European expert myself, so I'm useless if anyone wants an example of the type of players we should go for. But I just look at Anwar El Ghazi, who apparently can be picked up for somewhere between £3m-£6m, and I see that as a much better option than splashing £10m-£15m on a Lolley/Bowen type.

I'd be interested to see a list of Dean Smith's Walsall and Brentford signings, including their purchase prices and from where they were bought from.

They are all quality players who deserve to be in the pl. All of them were in meh teams and still performed excellently when everyones attention was on them. If we keep Grealish people will be focused on him and they can take advantage of weaker coverage and bag a bunch of goals. You also can't overlook both Grealish and mcginn are 2 of the most foul able players in Europe and in the Premier league most of the challenges would be guaranteed yellows and a lot of them would be straight reds. This will obviously be really helpful if we have players who can create for themselves and others players like bowen and maupey will force a foul or get a decent shot off and I think they are both good enough finishers at the Premier league level. 

Obviously if Smith finds a cheap winger who could provide 7 and 7 or something for around 8 mil I would be happy but often it is hit and miss when coming to an English league. But I think bowen would be about 12 million, lolley 8 and maupey 10. (prices aren't super informed but I don't think they would be too much more max 15 each I think) 30 million plus 6 for el ghazi would give us an attack of

Maupay

El ghazi.                        Bowen

Grealish      mcginn

Lolley off the bench, he can play anywhere in the attacking midfield and bowen can play striker so everyone of these 5 can have a rest when they are playing poorly. Plus he is an excellent back up if Grealish gets Injured again. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

No point targeting anyone until we know what league we're in. I hope either way it'd be younger players with a bit to prove rather than established players who will command big fees.

We won't be signing Lolley, Bowen and Maupay. That is at absolutely minimum £50m for those three, I'd imagine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No point targeting anyone until we know what league we're in.

This is more for fans' wishes more than the club. I fully expect Smith and the team to have loads of players in mind.

The very next post I did say I'd like Powell though!

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think bowen would be about 12 million, lolley 8 and maupey 10. (prices aren't super informed but I don't think they would be too much more max 15 each I think) 30 million plus 6 for el ghazi would give us an attack of

Maupay

Grealish      mcginn

Lolley off the bench, he can play anywhere in the attacking midfield and bowen can play striker so everyone of these 5 can have a rest when they are playing poorly. Plus he is an excellent back up if Grealish gets Injured again. 

Even if all of those players made the step up to the championship, the price of them would mean that we’d have very little money for other positions we need to invest in (DM and LB), and that’s before we even look at the possibility of buying the rest our loanees!

Imagine if we bought Mings, Tuanzebe, Hause, El Ghazi, Bowen, Lolley And Maupay. You’d be spending around £75m to essentially replace Green with Bowen, and Tammy with Maupay from our current eleven. That doesn’t feel like a £75m investment. I suppose £75m doesn’t go a long way nowadays, but I just feel like our new scouting set-up could find us ‘our own’ Bowen, Lolley and Maupay, instead of buying them while their price tags are at their peaks, much like Hogan and McCormack when we bought them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

They are all quality players who deserve to be in the pl. All of them were in meh teams and still performed excellently when everyones attention was on them. If we keep Grealish people will be focused on him and they can take advantage of weaker coverage and bag a bunch of goals. You also can't overlook both Grealish and mcginn are 2 of the most foul able players in Europe and in the Premier league most of the challenges would be guaranteed yellows and a lot of them would be straight reds. This will obviously be really helpful if we have players who can create for themselves and others players like bowen and maupey will force a foul or get a decent shot off and I think they are both good enough finishers at the Premier league level. 

Obviously if Smith finds a cheap winger who could provide 7 and 7 or something for around 8 mil I would be happy but often it is hit and miss when coming to an English league. But I think bowen would be about 12 million, lolley 8 and maupey 10. (prices aren't super informed but I don't think they would be too much more max 15 each I think) 30 million plus 6 for el ghazi would give us an attack of

Maupay

Grealish      mcginn

Can't argue with the names above, obviously if we can find cheaper alternatives better still, but it is in wide areas that we need strengthening and players of that ilk would transform us IMO.

Sitting Kalvin Phillips behind that lot would be my first signing though (if we go up of course!)

5 hours ago, sne said:

I'd happily have Veretout, Amavi and Gueye in the sqaud fwiw

Exactly, Jordan Ayew too. it was failure by the coaching team and lack of integration - they have all proven they are quality players since moving on. Gil and Traore also showed glimpes of magic. Under the right management that could have been a good team. 

Certainly better than being relegated by Xmas anyway, we were that far behind that it wasnt even worth spending money in January to try to save the season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, avfcwills10 said:

We have absolutely no idea of either what league we are going to be in, or how much money our owners intend to invest. If we do go up, they could literally be looking to spend anything between £10m and £150m. Impossible to know!

I think its been obvious from when the Owners took charge on what they'd spend, I think they would spend tons. The owners have the coin and they stated they wanted Villa back to winning ways, i think the message has been clear from the start. You also can look at how they restructured the club, they could of brought in less experienced people who cost alot less, they didnt and brought in what i would say have been some of the very best in what they do.

If we go up, the plan will be to bring in players who want to win things, not players who just want to earn, those players will cost a fortune. The owners could say go all out and price is of no concern, I do not know in what our limit would be, any ideas?? I think our Owners know full well that if they can attract talented, skillfull players on a world stage, then they know Villa Park will be ram packed each game as well.

The owners could be about to do what us fans have always dreamed of, let's see if the Owners will do what they stated they wanted all along. I doubt they are here to make money, they have over 9 billion between the two of them, at that point I think they have entered that stage in there life's where money is less important and winning things is priority, let's hope so anyway..

Some people on here think that because we would be new to the premier again that it would put off world class players, I'm on the other side of the fence on that one. I think If the package and the plan appeal to those players then anything is possible. If we can pull of promotion we can only dream we will be seeing some world class stage players, it's not impossible, if we can attract a few then it certainly shows the ambition of this club and its Owners.

Edited by Dave-R

45 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I think its been obvious from when the Owners took charge on what they'd spend, I think they would spend tons. The owners have the coin and they stated they wanted Villa back to winning ways, i think the message has been clear from the start. You also can look at how they restructured the club, they could of brought in less experienced people who cost alot less, they didnt and brought in what i would say have been some of the very best in what they do.

If we go up, the plan will be to bring in players who want to win things, not players who just want to earn, those players will cost a fortune. The owners could say go all out and price is of no concern, I do not know in what our limit would be, any ideas?? I think our Owners know full well that if they can attract talented, skillfull players on a world stage, then they know Villa Park will be ram packed each game as well.

The owners could be about to do what us fans have always dreamed of, let's see if the Owners will do what they stated they wanted all along. I doubt they are here to make money, they have over 9 billion between the two of them, at that point I think they have entered that stage in there life's where money is less important and winning things is priority, let's hope so anyway..

Some people on here think that because we would be new to the premier again that it would put off world class players, I'm on the other side of the fence on that one. I think If the package and the plan appeal to those players then anything is possible. If we can pull of promotion we can only dream we will be seeing some world class stage players, it's not impossible, if we can attract a few then it certainly shows the ambition of this club and its Owners.

31h765.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Junxs said:

Exactly, Jordan Ayew too. it was failure by the coaching team and lack of integration - they have all proven they are quality players since moving on. Gil and Traore also showed glimpes of magic. Under the right management that could have been a good team. 

Certainly better than being relegated by Xmas anyway, we were that far behind that it wasnt even worth spending money in January to try to save the season.

Funnily enough I think all of these players maybe with the exception of Traore, would be better off with DS football. 

• Like 1