Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

When we were relegated, I suspect there must have been some relegation clauses that kicked in for player wages.

I wonder if there are any clauses that mean the wages will automatically go back up again if we go up?

im not even sure who this would affect?

Chester? Or did he sign a new contract since?

Any others?

38 minutes ago, Thug said:

When we were relegated, I suspect there must have been some relegation clauses that kicked in for player wages.

I wonder if there are any clauses that mean the wages will automatically go back up again if we go up?

im not even sure who this would affect?

Chester? Or did he sign a new contract since?

Any others?

Chester wasn’t relegated with us, he joined in the summer of 2016, so doubt he’d have a clause regarding relegation/promotion. Maybe though?

Jack perhaps? Maybe some of the other lads that came through the youth setup like Green. 

Most likely to have a clause like this is Micah Richards though... Eugh.

If we go up...
I really think we will see a ridiculous clearance of the squad on top of those out of contract. I think Smith will be ruthless, and there are a lot of players in the squad who will end up on loan next season with a view to a sale rather than integration into the first team at a later date - but to keep options open in case they step up.

In this list I would have Bree, Green, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy, Doyle-Hayes, Suliman and possibly O'Hare from the youngsters, plus the likes of Kodija, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Hogan, Taylor and Nyland (once fit). None of these should be near our squad if we're in Premier League. One might add Elmo to that list.

Obviously with the latter lot, selling now is better!

The likes of McCormack, Tshibola, Gardner and Adomah just need to be gone ASAP on top of the ones out of contract - none of whom should be renewed IMO.

I make this around 25 players out who are (or should have been) in or around the first team squad at some point this season, plus the 5 who are on loan here. 

We saw the changes made in our last season in the Prem, with some decent players coming in but without the time or manager to bring them together quickly.
For this reason, I think it's really important we buy Tammy, Hause, El Ghazi and Mings - and try desperately to get Axel back as this at least would give us better continuity so a better chance to stay up. 

4 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

If we go up...
I really think we will see a ridiculous clearance of the squad on top of those out of contract. I think Smith will be ruthless, and there are a lot of players in the squad who will end up on loan next season with a view to a sale rather than integration into the first team at a later date - but to keep options open in case they step up.

In this list I would have Bree, Green, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy, Doyle-Hayes, Suliman and possibly O'Hare from the youngsters, plus the likes of Kodija, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Hogan, Taylor and Nyland (once fit). None of these should be near our squad if we're in Premier League. One might add Elmo to that list.

Obviously with the latter lot, selling now is better!

The likes of McCormack, Tshibola, Gardner and Adomah just need to be gone ASAP on top of the ones out of contract - none of whom should be renewed IMO.

I make this around 25 players out who are (or should have been) in or around the first team squad at some point this season, plus the 5 who are on loan here. 

We saw the changes made in our last season in the Prem, with some decent players coming in but without the time or manager to bring them together quickly.
For this reason, I think it's really important we buy Tammy, Hause, El Ghazi and Mings - and try desperately to get Axel back as this at least would give us better continuity so a better chance to stay up. 

If this is what you think / want you are going to be sorely disappointed. 

• Like 1

It's extremely unlikely we'll make wholesale changes like that @Pez1974

Though you're probably right in the players that won't be good enough for the Prem, it'll just be too big a squad upheaval. I think Smith will look more down the route of bringing in 7-8 players maximum (after the ones that we have on loan already). Although our squad needs changes, too many can upset the squad harmony that we clearly have.

I would imagine we'll see something along the lines of this, IF we go up:

If possible, buy:

DF: Mings, Tuanzebe, Hause, New first choice LB, New CB

MID: New DM, New CM

WING/FW: Abraham, El Ghazi, New RW, New LW, New FW

Keep:

GK: Steer, Kalinic, Nyland

DF: Chester, Guilbert, Elmohamady, Taylor, Bree, 

MID: McGinn, Grealish, Hourihane, Lansbury, Whelan

WING/FW: Kodjia, Davis, Green, 

If possible, sell/ release:

GK: Bunn

DF: Elphick, Hutton, De Laet, 

MF: Bjarnason, Gardner, Tshibola, Jedinak

WING/FW: Adomah, McCormack, Hogan

This would leave us with the following squad of first team/ back-up players:

Steer, Kalinic, Nyland, Chester, Mings, Tuanzebe, Hause, New CB, Guilbert, Elmohamady, Bree, New LB, Taylor, McGinn, Grealish, Whelan, Lansbury, Hourihane, New DM, New CM, El Ghazi, Green, New RW, New LW, Abraham, Kodjia, Davis, New FW. Plus some youngsters that would be loaned out or given the odd chance (Doyle-Hayes, O'Hare, Hepburn-Murphy etc).

This leaves us with a few players that probably aren't good enough for the Prem (Lansbury, Kodjia, Green, Taylor etc etc), but it's probably better to keep a good squad together and bring in some quality, than do wholesale changes and risk dropping like a stone next season due to the squad not being 'one'.

• Like 1

Horrendous to think of the undoubtable disparity regarding transfer links over the summer depending on the result of a single game of football:

We Win = Aston Villa close to completing the signing of exciting Benfica forward...

We Lose = Aston Villa are considering the signing of Preston Central Midfielder Ben Pearson.

😅

• Haha 1

I think you are more correct on what will happen that I am @Rob182

It feels daft to retain players when we know they aren't up to it - which is why I think the outgoing loan market could be a massive factor for us if we go up. Getting a few out for 6 months (with a view to extending) will help, although perhaps not financially as much as we like. But it could rip the heart out of the squad.

For example I would keep Elmo - he seems popular, does OK and can cover the whole right side, which will help.

I think we'll get rid of Kodjia; rumours are he nearly went in January and he just doesn't fit. And the likes of Davis and Green - if they aren't going to play, why keep them around? We aren't helping ourselves, and could be ruining their careers by stopping them developing.

Over the past few years, we have got ourselves into a mess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

I think you are more correct on what will happen that I am @Rob182

It feels daft to retain players when we know they aren't up to it - which is why I think the outgoing loan market could be a massive factor for us if we go up. Getting a few out for 6 months (with a view to extending) will help, although perhaps not financially as much as we like. But it could rip the heart out of the squad.

For example I would keep Elmo - he seems popular, does OK and can cover the whole right side, which will help.

I think we'll get rid of Kodjia; rumours are he nearly went in January and he just doesn't fit. And the likes of Davis and Green - if they aren't going to play, why keep them around? We aren't helping ourselves, and could be ruining their careers by stopping them developing.

Over the past few years, we have got ourselves into a mess. 

I think you need extra bodies though, even if they're not Premier League quality (yet). Players like Davis and Green are both promising youngsters, on low wages that could be used in cup games or for the odd sub appearance. I'd definitely look to loan out the players that haven't even made their mark in our championship team, such as Doyle-Hayes, O'Hare and Hepburn-Murphy. Send players like that out to a Championship team to further their development before they try to make the step up to (hopefully) the Premier League, if we're there!

• Like 1

Looking at Dean Smiths history, he's not afraid to make wholesale changes. Let 14 go in his first season at Walsall and brought 12 in, 18 came in during his first window for Brentford.

If we don't go up I think we can expect a lot of ins and outs, lots of young players coming in and the likes of O'Hare and Green getting more of a chance. 

If we go up however, I think it would be wiser to keep some continuity, obviously try and get the loan players in permanently and add maybe 4 or 5 in key positions that require it. We may still have a number in the squad that aren't 'premier league quality', but players knowing the system and keeping the group together would be important for surviving a first season back.