Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Gotta say I’m with @JAMAICAN-VILLAN on this one.

I find Danny Rose to be extraordinarily dull and defeatist, and pedals the wrong message about how to deal with racism. 

Talks about quitting football because of the racism.. Don’t talk, do it.  And when you experience racism in your next job, quit that too. And the next. And the next.

There’s an aura of negativity about him which I’d prefer to be kept well away from villa park.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thug said:

Gotta say I’m with @JAMAICAN-VILLAN on this one.

I find Danny Rose to be extraordinarily dull and defeatist, and pedals the wrong message about how to deal with racism. 

Talks about quitting football because of the racism.. Don’t talk, do it.  And when you experience racism in your next job, quit that too. And the next. And the next.

There’s an aura of negativity about him which I’d prefer to be kept well away from villa park.

Again, he's never said anything about quitting, just that he'd be happy to see the back of football when he inevitably hangs his boots.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Indeed. Cheeky League Cup trophy perhaps?

This!

One of the things I hated most about our last few seasons in the Prem, was the completely disgusting way we approached cup games. 

I'm fine with playing the '2nd team' or the kids in cup games if it's deemed necessary. We use to put out a group of players who were usually out of form and/or in the bomb squad, and put them with a few vulnerable youngsters. We use to almost set the teams up so we couldn't win. I can't remember who it was against but I swear we didn't have a shot on target against a league 1 side for crying out loud.

I hope Dean Smith does the right, sure protect our PL status. Absolute priority I understand, surely though (especially if fixtures are kind) we can have a right proper go in at least one of the cups.

That's what should seperate us from clubs like Bournemouth and Crystal Palace, big clubs go on cup runs. It's the one thing I've got against Eddie Howe, it's almost like he is scared to go on a cup run.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Again, he's never said anything about quitting, just that he'd be happy to see the back of football when he inevitably hangs his boots.

He did clearly state word for word 'I can't wait to quit football' and then when he was questioned further he gave some very vague reply saying in 5 years time he will probably have had enough.

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not so sure about that. Use Delph as a yardstick. We paid £ 6 million in 2009 if I remember correctly. Right now he'd probably have been a £ 25 million talent. Are you telling me the TV deal is 400% as lucrative? I seriously doubt that cause I remember what they called "The worlds most lucrative promotion" back then and they said it was worth £100 million. Now they are saying £200 million, which to me indicates it's about twice as lucrative. 

The TV deal does not alone explain extreme prices for championship talent imo.  

Wasn’t Delph signed from league one and Leeds were also desperate for money?

Had he been in the championship and Leeds wernt in such a mess he would have cost more.

I agree it’s not just the tv deal that has increased championship valuations though. It’s hard to pin point what it is. Maybe Championship clubs are better run these days so are not in a desperate need to sell their top assets and can ask for a lot more?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not so sure about that. Use Delph as a yardstick. We paid £ 6 million in 2009 if I remember correctly. Right now he'd probably have been a £ 25 million talent. Are you telling me the TV deal is 400% as lucrative? I seriously doubt that cause I remember what they called "The worlds most lucrative promotion" back then and they said it was worth £100 million. Now they are saying £200 million, which to me indicates it's about twice as lucrative. 

The TV deal does not alone explain extreme prices for championship talent imo.  

Yes it does. It is worth ~200 million per year over the championship (plus parachute payments) so that is an additional 300million over 3 years. Now if I'm a championship club I want some of that money so they would bump it up to 20 mil if their player is only worth 15 and so on and so forth. The increase in the market justifies the other costs, kodjia cost us 15 million are you telling me that maupay and benrahma arent worth more than kodjia was. 

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

How many players we going to be signing this week then? I'm guessing 3.

And how many will have been mentioned in the media??

When do Butland and Mings get back off their holidays? I reckon as soon as they land, we'll start to see those rumours pick up some pace.

Wesley should sign this week, you'd expect. So I'm hoping he's confirmed today.

19 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes it does. It is worth ~200 million per year over the championship (plus parachute payments) so that is an additional 300million over 3 years. Now if I'm a championship club I want some of that money so they would bump it up to 20 mil if their player is only worth 15 and so on and so forth. The increase in the market justifies the other costs, kodjia cost us 15 million are you telling me that maupay and benrahma arent worth more than kodjia was. 

It doesn't. We are discussing the new mental prices for championship players. The new TV deal does not support how championship clubs suddenly are asking 4 x what they would have asked 10 years ago. 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whelan saying if we were to sign Phillips from Leeds that puts mcginns place in the team in jeopardy as he is better.

No chance in hell is he better is he better than mcginn.

Wouldn't it be Whelan's vacant position he'd play in? Fail to see what he is thinking here.

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Wouldn't it be Whelan's vacant position he'd play in? Fail to see what he is thinking here.

It's a strange one as like you I thought there is a gap now in cm  now Whelan is gone. I think Conor won't be a automatic now for us and used more from the bench or when injuries kick in so I think freakish and mcginn will be starting along with a new dm.

Seen some more links on Ampadu. Normally I wouldn’t have a problem with this is he improved the team. But after hearing Purslows comments, especially the on the record part. It would be disappointing if we then went and loaned a youngster with no chance of signings. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It doesn't. We are discussing the new mental prices for championship players. The new TV deal does not support how championship clubs suddenly are asking 4 x what they would have asked 10 years ago. 

The top clubs in the Championship are better than they used to be and now more than ever owned by people with deep pockets. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seen some more links on Ampadu. Normally I wouldn’t have a problem with this is he improved the team. But after hearing Purslows comments, especially the on the record part. It would be disappointing if we then went and loaned a youngster with no chance of signings. 

Might as well ignore +80% of rumours. Complete fishing expeditions by lazy journalists

• Like 1