Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I think if we've learned anything from our transfer policy (or lack thereof) down the years it's that it's about signing the right players rather than just making broad brush stroke signings based purely on criteria like "up and coming" or "proven and experienced". Tonev and Lescott are two signings on the opposite ends of the spectrum that show how disastrous either approach can be when a lack of nuanced thought goes into it.

There's a balance to be struck between youth and experience. I understand that it's a good idea to on the whole prioritise younger players, but ultimately if an obviously option who happens to be in their late 20s+ comes up then it'd be careless to turn our noses up in favour of signing the potential next Ashley Westwood.

The vast, vast majority of top clubs around the world have at least a couple of players in this mould, and though we might not be anywhere near one of those sides at the moment, if we have aspirations of climbing the ladder to eventually even being in contention for the top 7 of the Premier League then a few mature heads will be absolutely necessary. Speaking hypothetically, if there was any realistic chance of Milner coming back next season in the event of us getting promoted (*furiously knocks on wood*) we'd be mad to turn it down.

Edited by Indigo

For the first time in a long time, we have a manager and coaching set up that are PROVEN at coaching players better. Pretty much the entire Brentford team were unknowns. 

Even if we were to make "uninspiring" signings, that may be because the set up has seen something in that player that can be coached or developed. 

Grealish, El Ghazi, McGinn, Tuanzebe, Elmo and Taylor have all moved on a step since DS and his team turned up. 

For me, and hopefully the club, recruits need to have Premier League potential, a potential that can be coached sooner rather than later.

6 hours ago, villan-scott said:

You’re right. I used to work with someone who had Ng as their surname. That’s how it’s pronounced. 

Yeah I lived in South East Asia for a while, so came across it often - didn't know if the player had origins there though.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2019 at 07:00, fightoffyour said:

Let's just go now:

Albrighton, Milner, Clark, Benteke, Young, Stevens, Veretout, Ghana. Not sure we can tempt Gollini as he looks likely to be playing CL football. 

Ghana ?? What ?? All of them ??

• Haha 1

Speaking with a Charlton fan today at work and he says a number of clubs (Villa included) have been watching Joe Aribo during the season? He rates him highly.  Now I know nothing about this guy, but sounds like an interesting one to keep an eye on over the summer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d be happy with keeping Jack, signing Mings, El Ghazi, Haus, Maupay and Lolley. Would also like to see Tammy (loan or perm), a CB and a RHS wide man.

We could spend more but we need to reconcile or run the risk of another ‘Too many new faces’ syndrome, like 4 years ago.

Edited by thunderball

On 08/05/2019 at 22:39, HanoiVillan said:

These threads are gold dust. I always look forward to the new one. Seeing people talking about signing Felix or Kompany reminds me of that time someone suggested that we shouldn't sign Wes Hoolahan because we should be picking up Isco instead. 

Great entertainment. 

Ended with Simon Dawkins

I know some (most, if not everyone) think my transfer hopes are delusional, but the world's most reluctant Reggae Boy may indeed become a...Reggae Boy

http://www.loopjamaica.com/content/leon-bailey-accept-reggae-boyz-call-after-jff-agent-agree-terms

LOOP SPORTS CREATED : 10 MAY 2019SPORT
Leon Bailey

Leon Bailey

Bayer Leverkusen forward Leon Bailey is expected to represent Jamaica at the upcoming Concacaf Gold Cup as the long dispute with the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) seems to have come to an end.

The 22-year-old Bailey had previously turned down numerous invitations to represent the Reggae Boyz, the most recent coming in October of last year.  On that occasion Bailey had agreed to play against Bonaire but later refused after his adopted brother Kyle Butler was not invited to the squad.

According to both parties, however, the impasse seems to be at an end with the player potentially making his debut against the United States in an upcoming friendly international.

“Chris Samuda worked hard with some things and the minister has also given her support. We love our country and we want to play for our country,” Bailey’s agent and guardian Craig Butler said.

President of the JFF Michael Ricketts also confirmed that the long dispute between the parties is now resolved.

“Leon Bailey will be called because the coach and I have had discussions recently, and he will be invited both for the friendly in the U.S. and also for the Gold Cup tournament,” Ricketts said.

“I think that coach (Donovan) Duckie has interest for the brother (Kyle) for the Olympic squad because he did indicate to me that he has an interest in inviting him for the Olympic squad,” Ricketts added.

“We are looking forward to having them here, and we just hope that we will be able to put the past behind us and just restart the whole thing of just having him (Bailey) in the national set-up.”

So, I think my hopes of one day (soon) seeing him in our Claret & Blue colours should not be ridiculed.

Image result for glasses push gif

Edited by 8pints
I don't know where that 2 came from and why there's so much space or how to remedy it

On 10/05/2019 at 20:41, ferguson1 said:

Speaking with a Charlton fan today at work and he says a number of clubs (Villa included) have been watching Joe Aribo during the season? He rates him highly.  Now I know nothing about this guy, but sounds like an interesting one to keep an eye on over the summer.  

On 10/05/2019 at 21:13, villan-scott said:

I’ve heard he’s absolutely Tangfastic. 

See my post lads from November 2018 before my illness (Seems like many years ago and also January transfer window both of them below... 

i've seen Aribo play 5 times live in last two seasons! Could easily do a job for us. Trust me.. he signed new deal few months back so around £3million to £4million should get him now..

D6Xbbn6XoAAJC46.jpg:large

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 4

On 10/05/2019 at 20:30, KMitch said:

Saw an article saying we're after Gary Hooper and I had to laugh.  He's a prototypical Bruce player!  hahaha

he's now a free agent been released by Bruce last week.

Not happening for lots of reasons first one is he's rubbish :D

4 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

he's now a free agent been released by Bruce last week.

Not happening for lots of reasons first one is he's rubbish :D

Why do you think he’s rubbish? Wherever he’s been in his career, he’s scored goals, I’d take him on a free if we’re still in The Championship next season

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think he’s rubbish? Wherever he’s been in his career, he’s scored goals, I’d take him on a free if we’re still in The Championship next season

Come on SGC Hooper he is absolutely rubbish.. Crap like Hooper at 31 is not going get us anywhere apart from clogging up a big wage and certainly if we still in Championship next season won't fire us to Premier League even on 1 year deal.

That i'm willing bet my house on as i'm that certain..

He is nowhere near good enough for us even in Championship.. 

i've never rated him, just think he's an atrocious footballer that's my reason.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why can't you understand that we're trying to move away from signing exactly that sort of player. 30+ with his best years behind him. No no no! We want younger players with lots of potential.

• Like 1