Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

39 minutes ago, Jimmyg said:

I hate this transfer window already.... so glad it’s closes earlier this year.

How can you hate this window? We are breaking our records, signing young promising players and don't yet seem at any risk of losing our best players. Best window in years.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Quite like the look of Olivier Ntcham at Celtic. 23-year old France U-21 who has played in Serie A as well. Could be a good / cheaper option compared to Phillips.

Rate him, one of the very few players I was impressed with last season from the SPL.

Technically very decent and great physical player too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Chip on his shoulder being because of recieving racial abuse? Angry about racism? Doesn't smile because of racism. Your post reads a bit dismissive of what he and others have said is a big problem.

No, his struggle against racism is real, he is to be commended for speaking up against this, don’t confuse this or try and make some cheap currency on the back of my comment. As a white man I have never had to walk in a black mans shoes so could never know the reality of this, butter least know the issue is real and despise it.

This isn’t the place for a debate on racism (which I clearly deplore) but that’s not all Rose is angry about - my comment was directed at his “can’t wait to get out of football” attitude and comments on the lot of professional footballers generally and them being a ‘commodity’. My comment centred on Villa has a smile on its face at the moment and frankly Rose gives the impression of someone who needs a break from the game not another contract. 

That is all.

14 minutes ago, thunderball said:

No, his struggle against racism is real, he is to be commended for speaking up against this, don’t confuse this or try and make some cheap currency on the back of my comment. As a white man I have never had to walk in a black mans shoes so could never know the reality of this, butter least know the issue is real and despise it.

This isn’t the place for a debate on racism (which I clearly deplore) but that’s not all Rose is angry about - my comment was directed at his “can’t wait to get out of football” attitude and comments on the lot of professional footballers generally and them being a ‘commodity’. My comment centred on Villa has a smile on its face at the moment and frankly Rose gives the impression of someone who needs a break from the game not another contract. 

That is all.

Is Danny Rose the only black player in the Premier League?

Yes I get that there is racism etc,

However why does that give him a better excuse than the other 100's/1000's of black players to not be a dick?

I feel like some people can milk, spin, or amplify a situation in whichever way they choose.

How many fans in the crowd at any given English football match are actually racist?

Given the amount of money they earn, the space they are in etc, that shouldn't be difficult minor white noise to drown out IMO.

I dunno man, either way I don't even know why we are discussing him. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, thunderball said:

That is all.

Solid response. 

It's a very difficult situation. I support Danny Rose fully in his anger, but as you rightly point out he has gone on record saying that he can't wait to get out of football and I'm not sure how tally's with what we are looking for in a player. As painful and abhorrent the situation is and as much as I agree with his stance, we need players who are fully committed and driven. This season more than ever. 

I really want to help the fight against racism in football, that includes supporting Danny Rose in his decision making process. I just don't think he's a good fit for us.

I actually don't think he's that good a player either. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However why does that give him a better excuse than the other 100's/1000's of black players to not be a dick?

I feel like some people can milk, spin, or amplify a situation in whichever way they choose.

How many fans in the crowd at any given English football match are actually racist?

Given the amount of money they earn, the space they are in etc, that shouldn't be difficult minor white noise to drown out IMO.

20-30%? That's a decent figure for the population as a whole, I've no reason to expect it to be less in a football ground. 

Whether he has more/less right to be a dick is besides the point. If I was black I would probably feel very similar to Rose. In fact I already do as a straight cis white man, I'm **** sick of hearing and seeing prejudice down the football. I have considered whether I want to be a part of it any more on several occasions. The reason I carry on is as I have come to understand it simply reflects society as a whole, so if I give up football for that reason I may as well give up living.  

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Rose seems to have a very negative and defeatist attitude and he is well within his right to feel that way. However he is in a very privileged position and in the limelight. If he is going to speak to the public about such a sensitive subject it’s important to say the right things to inspire those to stand up to racism, not shy away from it and give up, Especially when youngsters are listening.

I appreciate it affects everybody differently and some might admire him for speaking out. I personally didn’t like his message at all. 

As a player I think he is a very good left back. Wouldn’t mind seeing him at the club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why the f*** are we talking about Danny Rose? 

Because it’s a Sunday and everyone is bored waiting for the next villa signing? Come on it’s been 3 days!

So Brentford are looking like they are willing to let Maupay leave if the offer is right, come on Smith bring him in and let's bring a good no2 in.

Aston Villa transfer target Neal Maupay is ‘in talks’ to leave Brentford, according to reports in France.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/neal-maupay-transfer-aston-villa-16437330

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

So Brentford are looking like they are willing to let Maupay leave if the offer is right, come on Smith bring him in and let's bring a good no2 in.

Aston Villa transfer target Neal Maupay is ‘in talks’ to leave Brentford, according to reports in France.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/neal-maupay-transfer-aston-villa-16437330

Sounds like he is in talks with Seville.

59 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yet Raheem Sterling has been pretty commendable in speaking out—for the double standards in the media primarily but there was also the interaction with the Chelsea fan. I don't know. I think it's easy to brush it under the carpet, but maybe in the current climate speaking out is important. Anecdotally speaking, I've heard a few things in the last few years that I had never heard in 30 years previously. I'm not sure he was a dick about it either just because he said it was demotivating him.

EDIT: What he said about wanting out of football probably isn't going to encourage us to go after him anyway, so I'm sure we won't have to discuss it any more.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Whilst a year ago also complaining he was getting paid less than players who have left Spurs, ignoring the fact he is constantly injured.

He'd only signed the contract a few months previous as well. 

3 hours ago, useless said:

He's probably been reading this thread for tips.

I hope he hasn't read the thread about himself.