Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

When you see the likes of West Ham having a £30m bid for Gomez accepted after the signing of Fornals, on top of what they already have, it kind of rams home how difficult next season is going to be. 

1 hour ago, AXD said:

Not too many 🙂

I do see the highlights of Genk every week as I am from Belgium (not a Genk supporter). He was injured for a while this season, but the games he played he was always very good. He is big and has a physical strength suited for the PL. He can spot a pass and go past his man. So I think he could do well for villa.

Linked with Spurs and a few other teams in the past. 21 years, 193 cm and 12 caps for Norway. Seems to be very highly rated in Belgium.

28 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Not really, there is a place for loans in the modern game, every team outside of the top 6 does it, there’s a reason for that. We are newly promoted Aston Villa not Man City.

I agree, perhaps after another 50 years of buying success Man City may be mentioned in the same breath as the mighty Villa. But with the developing rebirth of the greatest of sleeping giants, I think they’ll always be in our shadow. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Linked with Spurs and a few other teams in the past. 21 years, 193 cm and 12 caps for Norway. Seems to be very highly rated in Belgium.

I read that as, “linked with Spurs and a few other teams in the past 21 years”. I thought, blimey he must be a late developer! Duh 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I read that as, “linked with Spurs and a few other teams in the past 21 years”. I thought, blimey he must be a late developer! Duh 😉

He's their version of Miguel.

35 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it's a mistake to completely rule it out, especially when we need quite so many players. 

To eliminate an avenue to possible improvement on principle is foolish, whether you're running a football club, or living your own life. It's like saying "I refuse to read books because I don't want to make Amazon wealthier."

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Loans can be helpful in terms of FFP, or to avoid panic buying. We might be able to get a good loan signing in for a few million, then just sign a permanent player the following summer in a different FFP window. It'll also mean with us signing so many players, you don't have to panic to look for a permanent solution to a gap, just get someone in to cover, then look at fixing it permanently the following year.

I agree with this 100%. And in the case of Tuanzebe, for example, if he were to become available again on loan, we already know how well he partners with Mings, he wouldn’t take any time to settle into the city or the manager’s style of play, he already knows plenty of the lads, and he’s a major talent. If he helps us stay up the way he helped us get promoted, I’d call that a success. I’d rather we signed a CB of our own, mind, but if we get priced out or fail in those bids for one reason or another (or if we’re up against FFP), bringing Tuanzebe back wouldn’t be so bad. Just kick it into the next year. The key is to stay up.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Loans can be helpful in terms of FFP, or to avoid panic buying. We might be able to get a good loan signing in for a few million, then just sign a permanent player the following summer in a different FFP window. It'll also mean with us signing so many players, you don't have to panic to look for a permanent solution to a gap, just get someone in to cover, then look at fixing it permanently the following year.

That's just wrong though. 

Normal transfers accounts are spread across the length of the contract. You buy a player for £20m on a 4 year contract then the cost of the asset is spread over those 4 years combined transfer fee and wage.

You loan a player and you pay a loan fee of say 3-5m for one season plus his wages. 

It works out roughly the same, but if its a high profile loan it will end up costing you more for the season.

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

That's just wrong though. 

Normal transfers accounts are spread across the length of the contract. You buy a player for £20m on a 4 year contract then the cost of the asset is spread over those 4 years combined transfer fee and wage.

You loan a player and you pay a loan fee of say 3-5m for one season plus his wages. 

It works out roughly the same, but if its a high profile loan it will end up costing you more for the season.

I appreciate the finances are done on an amortization basis, but ultimately it's impossible to look at things that way as you have no idea how long a player will stay. If we sign a player and he stays for 10 years, it'll obviously work out much cheaper than a loan on a per-year basis, . But generally speaking, the quality of a loan player is going to be less than one you can sign permanently and you won't be paying a ridiculous fee or huge wages IMO.

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

But generally speaking, the quality of a loan player is going to be less than one you can sign permanently and you won't be paying a ridiculous fee or huge wages IMO.

I'd argue its the other way around. The quality of the loan player will probably be higher than the player you can sign permanently - especially for a newly promoted club. 

It's just a far better model to get your own signings as they work out cheaper in the long run due to the way the finances are calculated. Theres a reason why none of the bigger / more successful clubs loan players, it's a crap model.

Everton paid £7m to Chelsea to loan Zouma for one season for example. Do your scouting properly and you can probably find someone just as good for that price on a permanent signing from the European leagues. Double it and you can buy the best defender in the Championship pretty much to keep.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I'd argue its the other way around. The quality of the loan player will probably be higher than the player you can sign permanently - especially for a newly promoted club. 

It's just a far better model to get your own signings as they work out cheaper in the long run due to the way the finances are calculated. Theres a reason why none of the bigger / more successful clubs loan players, it's a crap model.

Everton paid £7m to Chelsea to loan Zouma for one season for example. Do your scouting properly and you can probably find someone just as good for that price on a permanent signing from the European leagues. Double it and you can buy the best defender in the Championship pretty much to keep.

I don’t disagree with your general sentiment that I prefer permanent signings, but “none of the bigger clubs loan players” is a bit of a stretch. This season alone I can think of Higuain on loan at Chelsea, James Rodriguez at Bayern etc off the top of my head - I think as people say there’s a time and place because it just depends what deal you strike - there are times there’ll be no loan fee at all for young players especially.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, av1 said:

When you see the likes of West Ham having a £30m bid for Gomez accepted after the signing of Fornals, on top of what they already have, it kind of rams home how difficult next season is going to be. 

It does indeed but West Ham have established themselves as a top flight team now. They have shown improvement each year and their next goal is to try and challenge the top 6. 

Our competition for next season are the newly promoted teams and Southampton, Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley and Bournemouth.  These teams have declined and will be in the mix for relegation. It may almost be like a mini league of 8. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Let's just go crazy and make a move for Sandro Tonali. 19-year old CM who plays for Brescia as a deep lying playmaker. Looks a very decent player, but would imagine he would cost a lot of money to shift.

Is he good in FIFA or something?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

The reason bigger/more successful clubs don’t loan players is because they can chuck vast amounts of money at it and, if it doesn’t work, they aren’t hindered at all. They can sell at a loss if need be.

A lot of clubs underneath that elite level loans players. It’s a fairly risk-free way of bringing in genuine quality that you otherwise couldn’t afford and gives you a chance to view a player before committing to a transfer fee and long term contract.

The whole “let’s not develop another teams’ player” argument is such a Football Manager way of thinking (FWIW, I never loan players on FM).

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The reason bigger/more successful clubs don’t loan players is because they can chuck vast amounts of money at it and, if it doesn’t work, they aren’t hindered at all. They can sell at a loss if need be.

A lot of clubs underneath that elite level loans players. It’s a fairly risk-free way of bringing in genuine quality that you otherwise couldn’t afford and gives you a chance to view a player before committing to a transfer fee and long term contract.

The whole “let’s not develop another teams’ player” argument is such a Football Manager way of thinking (FWIW, I never loan players on FM).

Better tell that to Dean Smith and Purslow then because they literally said "We don't intend to develop other teams players any more, we meed to develop our own players so we can benefit ".

Loans have their place, but not to the degree we were dependant on them.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Better tell that to Dean Smith and Purslow then because they literally said "We don't intend to develop other teams players any more".

Loans have their place, but not to the degree we were dependant on them.

I think it would be extremely naive of them to completely rule out loans given the lack of squad we have at the moment. 

• Like 1