Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

GK: Kalinic/Steer

RB: Guilbert/Elmo

LB: new player/Taylor

CB: Chester/Hause (buy)/Mings (buy)/Tuanzebe(loan/buy) or Cahill (sign)

DM: Berge (buy) or Ampadu (Loan)/Hourihane

CM: Grealish/McGinn/Lansbury/O’hare or new player 

LM: El Ghazi/Green

RM: Wilson (loan/buy) or Lolley (buy)/Jota

ST: Wesley/Tammy (loan)

I don’t agree with people being against loans ‘because’ we would help other teams. We loan a player because he would add something to our team and would improve throughout the season. Loans should have am option to buy if possible though.

I think neither tammy or Axel would be near the starting 11 at their clubs, so they should want to come back. Wesley and tammy would give us options up front.

CM we are little light. An injury/suspension to Jack or McGinn is likely so I prefer to blood O’Hare rather than to buy someone. Also, this team looks a lot more like the one that got us up than the teams I have seen on here. I don’t get why we would go after eg Dunk if we could get Mings.

this team does lack in PL experience though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Reading is that fruitful miracle of a communication in the midst of solitude.

No it isn't. It's a town in Berkshire. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who is Berge AXD?

21 year old Norwegian international. Plays DM at Genk in Belgium and is highly rated. He would cost quite a few million.

there is no one talking about him though, this is just something I would like to see

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AXD said:

21 year old Norwegian international. Plays DM at Genk in Belgium and is highly rated. He would cost quite a few million.

there is no one talking about him though, this is just something I would like to see

Do you watch a lot of Norway or Genk matches?

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Not too many 🙂

I do see the highlights of Genk every week as I am from Belgium (not a Genk supporter). He was injured for a while this season, but the games he played he was always very good. He is big and has a physical strength suited for the PL. He can spot a pass and go past his man. So I think he could do well for villa.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Amazed at people being so completely against loans. We need a squad for the PL and are currently very light. 

Exactly. I understand the desire to only accept loans with an option to buy, but as far as solely helping develop another club's players, if that player's development helps us stay in the Premier League for another season, seems like a fair trade to me. Longer we're in, more time we'll have to develop our players.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Exactly. I understand the desire to only accept loans with an option to buy, but as far as solely helping develop another club's players, if that player's development helps us stay in the Premier League for another season, seems like a fair trade to me. Longer we're in, more time we'll have to develop our players.

Nopety nope nopeski non no nein heeeeelll nopata just reeeee nah.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’ve watched since he was 17, as he signed his first professional contract with my Norwegian club. He’s excellent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think it's pretty obvious why loans aren't a good idea. I've been against them every since the days of loaning Milner, Walker etc. 

You aren't getting the finished article but a rough diamond that you have played a part to mould. What's worse is you have paid a premium to do this then have nothing to show for it at the end of the year. 

That year could have been spent giving much needed game time to your own youngsters. See Onomah stopping O'Hares or Doyle-Hayes development. 2 years later Onomah has failed in 2 loans when we could have had a very ready young player of our own. 

Then there's Sam Johnstone who spent a year and a half here but is no better than a player we always had in Steer. Would have paid 2 loan fees for him and his wages whilst also paying Steer. Had Steer been allowed to just play for the last 3 seasons we would have known him inside out by now and make a proper decision on him being ready for the premier league or not rather looking to spend 20m on yet another new keeper. Remember he would have had 3 years of proper development by now. 

Occasionally you might get a decent player on loan like Abraham whose goals obviously played a big part in promotion, but at the end of the day it's Chelsea who have benefitted by having a more complete player on their books whilst we've had to spend 22m replacing him. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Think it's pretty obvious why loans aren't a good idea. I've been against them every since the days of loaning Milner, Walker etc. 

You aren't getting the finished article but a rough diamond that you have played a part to mould. What's worse is you have paid a premium to do this then have nothing to show for it at the end of the year. 

That year could have been spent giving much needed game time to your own youngsters. See Onomah stopping O'Hares or Doyle-Hayes development. 2 years later Onomah has failed in 2 loans when we could have had a very ready young player of our own. 

Then there's Sam Johnstone who spent a year and a half here but is no better than a player we always had in Steer. Would have paid 2 loan fees for him and his wages whilst also paying Steer. Had Steer been allowed to just play for the last 3 seasons we would have known him inside out by now and make a proper decision on him being ready for the premier league or not rather looking to spend 20m on yet another new keeper. Remember he would have had 3 years of proper development by now. 

Occasionally you might get a decent player on loan like Abraham whose goals obviously played a big part in promotion, but at the end of the day it's Chelsea who have benefitted by having a more complete player on their books whilst we've had to spend 22m replacing him. 

On the other hand we ended up signing Milner in the end. I'm sure his familiarity with the club helped is decision to come, or it likely played a part. A similar thing would have happened with Johnstone had we had money last year and may still happen with Tammy/Axel in the future if their clubs don't want them.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

On the other hand we ended up signing Milner in the end. I'm sure his familiarity with the club helped is decision to come, or it likely played a part. A similar thing would have happened with Johnstone had we had money last year and may still happen with Tammy/Axel in the future if their clubs don't want them.

That's scraping the barrel for a good reason to loan players tbh.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think players from Belgian, Scandinavian and German leagues would adapt quicker to the PL. Although there is some great emerging talent in Spain and France, it is very hit and miss whether they can cope with the pace of PL football. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I don't agree. It also simultaneously has helped us compete/not get relegated over various seasons. We do benefit too. It's obviously better to develop players but loans are useful too....you just wouldn't want to depend on them solely and have to rebuild each year. One or two are OK.

12 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I don't agree. It also simultaneously has helped us compete/not get relegated over various seasons. We do benefit too. It's obviously better to develop players but loans are useful too....you just wouldn't want to depend on them solely and have to rebuild each year. One or two are OK.

Yes helped us because we were desperate and in a self made hell because we wasted 100 million quid on players after we got relegated, so from that and the subsequant failites we needed to loan players to get us out of the self created disaster scenario we were in.

I agree a couple of quality loans in the championship to help you get promoted is a good idea, which we did.

In the premiership it is a terrible idea, unless it's loan with an option to buy.

Edited by MaVilla

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Not really, there is a place for loans in the modern game, every team outside of the top 6 does it, there’s a reason for that. We are newly promoted Aston Villa not Man City.

• Like 2

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

Not really, there is a place for loans in the modern game, every team outside of the top 6 does it, there’s a reason for that. We are newly promoted Aston Villa not Man City.

well regardless, luckily the Villa hierarchy have stated their dislike for the type of loans we did historically as a club, so im happy.

I

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well regardless, luckily the Villa hierarchy have stated their dislike for the type of loans we did historically as a club, so im happy.

I

I think it's a mistake to completely rule it out, especially when we need quite so many players. 

1 hour ago, AXD said:

No. Bad idea.