Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

5 minutes ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

Would love to kick off the new season with this back 4

Guilbert.....Mings.....Axel/Tomori.....Targett

Would have no complaints at all, but would rather see this: 

Justin..............Konsa................Mings...............Targett

I know transfer fees have inflated a lot, but fifteen to twenty million for a left-back that couldn't get into a side that were nearly relegated seemes excessive to me. Having a look on a Southampton forum most of them don't seem to rate Targett all that much, and see Sam McQueen as the better left-back. Not saying he would be a bad signing but seems some are building him up to be a bigger deal than he actually is, I think around £10m would be a fair price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

I know transfer fees have inflated a lot, but fifteen to twenty million for a left-back that couldn't get into a side that were nearly relegated seemes excessive to me. Having a look on a Southampton forum most of them don't seem to rate Targett all that much, and see Sam McQueen as the better left-back. Not saying he would be a bad signing but seems some are building him up to be a bigger deal than he actually is, I think around £10m would be a fair price.

Then we won't get him, somebody else will and we will rue the day. 

McQueen couldn't get a game for Boro last season. 

22 minutes ago, KMitch said:

No way in Hell Southampton will let Targett go. He’s their next superstar youth player who will go to a top 6 club in 2-3 years for massive money. Would require a bid of 25+ mil to get him now, and he isn’t worth it yet. 

Then Bertrand will have to go. Who we should also have interest in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Would have no complaints at all, but would rather see this: 

Justin..............Konsa................Mings...............Targett

Agreed...any of those back 4 would be solid with Hause/Chester and another RB as back up! I think that would see us strong defensively

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I liked Bertrand when we had him on loan, I'd take him back if the fee is right, must admit I don't feel he's quite kicked on too much since then though, if he had he'd be knocking on that England left back door.

30 by the start of the season. Good left back, probably never kicked on as much as he could have as he was loaned everywhere by Chelsea until he was 26. Feel as though he would've been better moving on earlier.  But he may never have been good enough to play a Champions League final had he not held on at Stamford Bridge, can see why players try and stick it out there for too long! 

What you reckon a journalist would get from an Agent to put stuff in the paper?  3K?

Not saying thats the case with Targett but it must go on to put the player in the window or show is club indirectly he int happy.

4 minutes ago, Ponky said:

To survive in the Premier League I reckon the two most essential players are a keeper that will save you games and a clinical striker who will put away the few chances that may come their way. 

If we end up spending over the odds on both of these positions then so be it. 

I know Bent was ultimately a flop but he pretty much kept us up the year he signed with us. So too Benteke. 

I don't necessarily disagree with this.   The price for Butland is excessive, but if he fits the brief of the club then I'd be happy and have Steer as back up.  

Up top, I still like Mitrovic.  Although I know he's not popular on here.  Maupay would then be a fantastic back up/option from the bench.  

Start the season with those four players including Mings and couple of others and I'd be happy.  

7 minutes ago, Ponky said:

To survive in the Premier League I reckon the two most essential players are a keeper that will save you games and a clinical striker who will put away the few chances that may come their way. 

If we end up spending over the odds on both of these positions then so be it. 

I know Bent was ultimately a flop but he pretty much kept us up the year he signed with us. So too Benteke. 

I would say the back 4 and goalkeeper are the priority in staying in the Premier League. If you look at Fulham last season, and us when we went down; the shambles of a defence was the downfall.

The more goals you concede the more you have to score in order to pick up points. Chances are being on the back foot in games we will get less chances to score and so you don't want to be conceding a high proportion of goals.

We ourselves have proved how important a defence is, our season picked up this year as soon as the back 4 was sorted out after January.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with this.   The price for Butland is excessive, but if he fits the brief of the club then I'd be happy and have Steer as back up.  

Up top, I still like Mitrovic.  Although I know he's not popular on here.  Maupay would then be a fantastic back up/option from the bench.  

Start the season with those four players including Mings and couple of others and I'd be happy.  

£20m to sit Maupay on the bench under a vastly inferior Mitrovic is an interesting call

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

I would say the back 4 and goalkeeper are the priority in staying in the Premier League. If you look at Fulham last season, and us when we went down; the shambles of a defence was the downfall.

The more goals you concede the more you have to score in order to pick up points. Chances are being on the back foot in games we will get less chances to score and so you don't want to be conceding a high proportion of goals.

We ourselves have proved how important a defence is, our season picked up this year as soon as the back 4 was sorted out after January.

Although I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, 'boro went down with a pretty measly defence, they just didn't take enough chances the other end of the pitch because they didn't have the quality to do so. You can't stay up on a good defence alone is what I'm trying to say.

I think it's important to have a balanced team, as we had towards the end of last season, we were both attacking and clinical and solid at the back when we needed to be, I expect investment throughout the team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

What you reckon a journalist would get from an Agent to put stuff in the paper?  3K?

Not saying thats the case with Targett but it must go on to put the player in the window or show is club indirectly he int happy.

or that he wants a new contract despite having plenty of time left on his current one and being well paid

its a mugs game, number 1 for the games gone thread IMO, they've ruined football