Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Agreed, but I think those fans who want us to spend £30m on players, £100m net spend and make some marquee signings don't really realise where this club is at right now and what it took to get back here.

Would it be exciting - it sure would. Would it be sensible - no it wouldn't.
"but these owners mean business" I hear you cry - so did Randy and Tony.

There is an increasing reliance on rich benefactors, the best thing for this club is for this club to spend sensibly, if it means risking a slog of a relegation battle then so be it.

We have to build half a team and more, and get results from the off with unfamiliar faces. It's already going to be a relegation battle no matter what we spend.

Some people are going to be very, very disappointed I feel.

BK.JPG

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

There's a lot of bang average PL teams that would struggle for Championship promotion if they dropped. I'm quite calm and confident

I mentioned this not long after we were confirmed up. Despite Dean saying the season target is to finish 1st - which I applaud - as a first stage target, we only need to be better than three of the other teams there. And I'm pretty certain we will be be, so I'm sharing the calmness.

Whilst I like the notion of Dean saying "1st", realistically we aren't going to storm the league first season back and do a Leicester. I'd like to think we will do a solid consolidation job and be quite a bit better than the "Doomed 3" and be mid-table but looking promising for the following season to push for European football.

As @Mazrim rightly points out, we need to invest to capitalise on the achievement of getting back. If we do OK, we'll likely keep our best players, if we drop I don't see Jack, for example, hanging around a second time.

And as for mentions of Fulham spending big and going down (I think 'Boro did something similar years ago, if memory serves), emulation of action doesn't equal identical outcome. Any penalty shootout shows you that, eh Baggies? Ten men step up, not all score and only one team gets to go home and **** the Prom Queen(s).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, privateer said:

I'd like to think we will do a solid consolidation job and be quite a bit better than the "Doomed 3" and be mid-table but looking promising for the following season to push for European football.

Whilst i hope you are right, i think you'll be disappointed as it seems pretty unrealistic. 

Mid-table (ie: 8-12th?) in the first season back?!

Realistically, i think everyone knows its about trying to finish 17th and then building in future seasons from there. 

We've currently got 2 players who are possibly mid-table players.

7 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

This is where you are a typical villa fan. Short sighted. You should use his testicle and breed many many mini hazards for the future not just spend the money for instant results for about the 2 years he has left at the top. 

Little Bio-Hazards?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Amazing how many fans have a good idea of our budget.

If you listen to the Jonny Gould podcast with Dave Jordan (@YorkshireAVFC), he analysed our FFP situation and concluded that conservatively we have circa £140m to spend this window next season without encroaching in PL profitability and sustainability rules. This assumes we finish 20th and don't improve on our commercial deals and don't sell anyone.

This sets the logical marker, however our owners could spend double that out of their own pocket if unconstrained. Add into this the release of out of contract, elderly players and deadwood and return of loans, we do need 8-10 players of a decent quality to improve our squad bearing in mind we finished 5th in the Championship last season. So it not really rocket science to 

TBH I think we have made a good start: El Ghazi, Hause and Jota are all decent squad members for £15m, so there's 3 already, so the average spend is £5m so far. If we get Mings for £15m that's another good value signing. Just need some free transfers/out of contract and maybe a good season loan.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

No we don't.

We have Elmo (165 appearances) & Taylor (131 appearances). Next closest to them is Chester with 60. Those 3 each averaged 75-85 minutes played per game . Grealish only made 34 appearances and averaged 48 minutes per game. Other than that there is very little PL experience left in our squad at all

Many of our squad are also internationals so have played high level competitive football.

I'm sure this will be addressed as we have mr Terry in the backroom team who is more experienced than anyone when comes to highest level football.

59 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Agreed, but I think those fans who want us to spend £30m on players, £100m net spend and make some marquee signings don't really realise where this club is at right now and what it took to get back here.

Would it be exciting - it sure would. Would it be sensible - no it wouldn't.

Some people are going to be very, very disappointed I feel.

If you look at the squad we had last season when we finished 5th in the Championship, we've lost Mings, Abraham and let go of 8 players. If we don't spend ~£100m we've no hope. I don't think it's feasible to try to sign 8 players for ~£8m each on average and hope to compete. If we were in the champiomship with the squad we have now we'd finish around 10th - 12th. That's the stark reality.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Many of our squad are also internationals so have played high level competitive football.

I'm sure this will be addressed as we have mr Terry in the backroom team who is more experienced than anyone when comes to highest level football.

Who?  The same 3, elmo with 85 for egypt, Chester & Taylor have played 30-40 for Wales, Mcginn has played a few games for scotland, Hogan has played a couple of friendlies for ROI, Hourihane has played a handful for ROI, Thor has played loads for iceland, Kodija has played less than 20 for ivory coast & kalinic has played less than 20 for croatia.

Most of these players won't even be on the bench next year, let alone part of the reguar starting 11

• Like 1

I wouldn’t mind a few loans (with option to buy) like we have done the past few seasons. Maybe get Wilson, Tomori, or a few other squad players from City, Liverpool or Chelsea. It’s a tournament year with Euro 2020, so some players might look for game time.

we will at least have a bigger squad without having to spend too big.

32 minutes ago, thunderball said:

If you listen to the Jonny Gould podcast with Dave Jordan (@YorkshireAVFC), he analysed our FFP situation and concluded that conservatively we have circa £140m to spend this window next season without encroaching in PL profitability and sustainability rules. This assumes we finish 20th and don't improve on our commercial deals and don't sell anyone.

This sets the logical marker, however our owners could spend double that out of their own pocket if unconstrained. Add into this the release of out of contract, elderly players and deadwood and return of loans, we do need 8-10 players of a decent quality to improve our squad bearing in mind we finished 5th in the Championship last season. So it not really rocket science to 

TBH I think we have made a good start: El Ghazi, Hause and Jota are all decent squad members for £15m, so there's 3 already, so the average spend is £5m so far. If we get Mings for £15m that's another good value signing. Just need some free transfers/out of contract and maybe a good season loan.

Listening to Simon Jordan on the subject of FFP he explained that the actual amount paid for a player does not immediately affect the balance sheet as the player becomes an asset on one side and his cost a negative on the other side. It is the wages and amortization that affect FFP. amorization means that a players asset value is written down by dividing his cost by the length of his contract. Therefore this is the type of calculation the club would make when working out how much they could spend in terms of transfer fees paid. And breathe!!!

2 minutes ago, KH** said:

I think we’d be stupid to rule out using the loan market 

I really agree with you on that. If we can have a defender on loan, maybe a striker if we can’t afford the quality in terms of buying. With a bargain buy to be a back up and introduced slowly. 

That would give us a chance to identify a proper replacements.