Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Apparently Barcelona, Ajax, Feyenoord, Leverkusen, Watford, Anderlecht and a host of other clubs are scouting Alhassan "Hasse" Yusuf at IFK Göteborg who I mentioned a while back.

He really looks like a baby Kanté when he plays but at 18 it obviously can go either way with his development.

Even with a potential work permit issue (not yet established himself in the Nigerian national side, he will soon thou) he'd be worth the little money he'd cost to sign. £3-4m or so.

He just looks an amazing prospect.

Loan him back to IFK for the rest of their season.

Edited by sne

We've just got rid of a load of overpaid players who barely made an impact. Let's not sign more in players like Sturridge. 

I really hope we're broadening our horizons a bit and looking outside of free transfers from the Premier League. There's a lot of good players in the world.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

We have so much to do. I really can't help feel it will all be a bit too much. So many players need to come in, settle and hit the ground running. The Premier League is far less forgiving than the Championship. Smith and co have such a tough job this summer.

This struck me t'other day too, with regard to DS - he has been given the sort of opportunity managers of his experience can only dream about. One window to create a squad to stay in the premier league, possibly with upward of £100 mill to spend. This could go completely tits up. That said, it is lovely to see players being looked at to fit into a system, rather than seeing which players with a prem league reputation and large wage demands will come to us. Different times these days I hope. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Being linked to Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard, got twenty-two goals and eight assists for them last season, only twenty-one as well.

I think you've misread the article mate. I've read it and it refers to Celtic in a battle with us for Maupay if they need to replace Edouard rather than us being in for him.

Well lets sign him anyway, looks like a good player. One of the more exciting links.

Edited by useless
😎😍 🤬 👼 🤺 🦇 🎃 🏀

20 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This struck me t'other day too, with regard to DS - he has been given the sort of opportunity managers of his experience can only dream about. One window to create a squad to stay in the premier league, possibly with upward of £100 mill to spend. This could go completely tits up. That said, it is lovely to see players being looked at to fit into a system, rather than seeing which players with a prem league reputation and large wage demands will come to us. Different times these days I hope. 

But Dean Smith is not in charge of recruitment.  Jesus Pitarch is and he has built teams at Athletico Madrid and used to signing big player.

Smith is just the coach.

Edited by sidcow

Honestly, I wouldn't have Sturridge taking up a spot even if he offered to play for free.

Watched him towards the end of the season, he is still a good footballer, technically sound, drops deep, gets on the ball, but all his pace, acceleration and zip has gone.

He was a joy to watch 5 years ago but he is done now as this level. Can reinvent himself as a pure poacher maybe in the MLS .

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But Dean Smith is not in charge of recruitment.  Jesus Pitarch is and he has built teams at Athletico Madrid and used to signing big player.

Smith is just the coach.

Smith Out.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, YLN said:

I probably would have given Adomah, Hutton, Jedinak and Whelan new contracts. 

The squad is very bare now, and those are reasonable back up players. Maybe not first 18 players, but there are relationships in squads that do not correlate with how good a player is. McGinn might be best friends with Adomah, and Grealish and Whelan might be thinking of buying an apartment share in Ljubljana. 

Now it might seem like a waste of money, but I think we can afford whatever their next clubs are going to pay them to keep the squad spirit as it is and even to have that depth of squad. Perhaps Hutton wouldn't be happy to be fighting with Elmo for a place on the bench and that's why he's gone, but Whelan is probably still worth a place on the bench and Adomah is a player to come in for an injury crisis. 

These aren't players who need games to progress their careers. At this stage they're probably just happy to not have to program in a new route to training on their Google Maps.

I fear our first 18 next season is going to be too dissimilar from our play off final winning team. I think the team that won the play off final would beat the teams that finished 14-17 in the Premier League this season. We fill the team with strangers and when we start losing games next season, who has an investment in the club doing well? McGinn and Grealish and Mings (IF), and they're telling Guilbert to stop googling the career progression of Amavi and Veretout, while our new attacking midfielder sits trying to text his agent underneath his shorts. Meanwhile the other 8 players we've gotten in to replace those that left are still more concerned about getting their parking passes and buying new cars with their new big money contracts, because they've finally hit the big time. 

We will spend big on players who are unproven in the premier league. Almost because it is the done thing, without thought that it might disrupt the dressing room or that these players might be absolute pants. How often next season will we hear that the new players are just adapting to life in English football and next season they'll be better? Hutton Whelan Jedinak and Adomah know English football, and we know them. Hutton can tell new players how he went from Bomb squad to running the length of the pitch to score against the greatest rivals. 

Maybe we're going to sign them all back up at the end of the month, and it's all just a FFP thing.

TLDR; The new players we spend money on may have a less positive impact on the squad than were we to just extend the contracts of the players we've released. And the players we've released may have had a positive impact on the new signings. 

Cheer up mate, we just got promoted...

Time to be positive, none of us has any idea what the actual transfer strategy is. If we manage to get the loanees in (who played a massive part in our success) we will still have a core of good players who know each other and work well together.

None of the players we released would have made much of a contribution, clearly not good enough for PL level.

Trust in Deano and our ownership.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Smith just puts the bibs out

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If he's been really good they let him hold a cone for a bit.

I thought Terry did all of these things? Humbly of course...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Smith just puts the bibs out

I don't think you understand how things are done at AVFC .... Smith is only a small part of the management group that is in charge of sourcing and handing out bibs. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People expect everything now.

Just chill your beans, it's been 10 days since the playoff final, the tables haven't even been reset yet and people are panicking about the state of the squad.

Remember when we used to wait for things? Great days.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't think you understand how things are done at AVFC .... Smith is only a small part of the management group that is in charge of sourcing and handing out bibs. 😉

And those wee drill cone things too..

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Cogs_and_Gears_Bib_300x300.jpg?height=30

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

And those wee drill cone things too..

bf719b1a-caea-47bc-a676-96d861e3ad1b.jpg

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1