Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Pointless comparison. Ofc. keepers for dogshit teams will average lots of saves.  Not a chance he was or is a top 5 keeper. 

I don’t understand this logic.

You’re right that it’s obvious that the teams at the bottom will face more shots, but the amount of ‘goals conceded:shots saved’ would surely reflect whether the keeper was bad/okay/good?

You can’t just say that a keeper of a relegated team making a decent amount of saves is a pointless stat. Those shots would have resulted in goals if he was a worse keeper.

You could look at every keeper in the league and see how many saves he made in 100 shots. Irrespective of the league position of the club, the stat would still give you a half-decent representation of how good a keeper they are. The only difference with the teams at the bottom, is that you’d reach the 100 shot mark much quicker than you would a team at the top.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chewie said:

If they get him on local TV singing or doing some stupid stuff in a Villa shirt then maybe 4 or 5 people might take notice 😝 Not that it matters, Fanatics don't ship kits here anyway. I'm 100% behind the signing though, will save me loads of time explaining who Villa are when I can just say "Our keeper is Filipino and our owner own's the bucks" ('dem Filipino's love basketball). Might also stop the Mrs being a secret Manc 🙄

oh right, are the Phillipines not a football loving nation?

22 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You’re right that it’s obvious that the teams at the bottom will face more shots, but the amount of ‘goals conceded:shots saved’ would surely reflect whether the keeper was bad/okay/good?

You can’t just say that a keeper of a relegated team making a decent amount of saves is a pointless stat. Those shots would have resulted in goals if he was a worse keeper.

You could look at every keeper in the league and see how many saves he made in 100 shots. Irrespective of the league position of the club, the stat would still give you a half-decent representation of how good a keeper they are. The only difference with the teams at the bottom, is that you’d reach the 100 shot mark much quicker than you would a team at the top.

I agree, you also need to factor in quality of shot/chance. Teams down the bottom with worse defences will allow more presentable chances and under less pressure than those towards the top with better defences.

However, there are so many other variables you could factor in like shot distance, players stronger/weaker foot, etc. It really comes down to the quality of chance/shot saved. 

I think something like XG saved might be a better way to make comparisons... if there is such a thing. Even then I don't think it gives a good overall impression of a goalkeeper, simply their shot stopping ability which as we know is only part of being a good keeper nowadays.

Personally if we are looking for a new number 1 keeper, I'd think we'd be looking for someone with better distribution than Ethridge because that's what Smith wants from his keeper to suit the system. In that regard I don't see him as an upgrade to Steer.

• Like 1

Think there is some very harsh criticism on here on his highlights reel!

What I saw was a goalkeeper who stays on his feet right until the shot, leading to very good saves often off his head shoulder or arms.

Also while there were a few camera saves, there were alot of genuinely excellent stops. Very strong hands / wrists.

And watch it again, almost every parry was out of danger or straight to his own player. Even the punch back out down the middle at the end which on first glance looked poor. It was very controlled and straight to his own player in space. 

In fact every parry in the video either went safe or straight to his own player in space 

Looks good

Not much shown in terms of claiming crosses though

Edited by ramshackler

Not sure on Etheridge, honestly think Kalinic is worth a go. Not my £10m, but seems to me we're not as short between the sticks as almost every other position.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure on Etheridge, honestly think Kalinic is worth a go. Not my £10m, but seems to me we're not as short between the sticks as almost every other position.

Never a good thing being short between the sticks....

Wow, maybe the club knows more than is being let on, but releasing players the way we have must suggest we are very confident on our positions with our targets? We are not the most attractive team in the market and didn’t have a big nor massively talented squad so this tact is intriguing. 

I thought the window was now open but am perplexed why so little activity there has been generally amongst all clubs?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Wow, maybe the club knows more than is being let on, but releasing players the way we have must suggest we are very confident on our positions with our targets? We are not the most attractive team in the market and didn’t have a big nor massively talented squad so this tact is intriguing. 

I thought the window was now open but am perplexed why so little activity there has been generally amongst all clubs?

The window may be officially open but, by and large, this is the only real holiday footballers have so until preseason kicks in there will likely be relatively minimal movement. It either happens immediately (before they go on holiday) or will start rolling again in a few weeks/early next month building up to the normal panic the day before the season starts this year.

Hoping deadwood is deadwood regardless of intended targets. The Bunn, Richards and McCormacks of our squad were never going to play. Only Whelen and Adomah really featured much towards end.

1 hour ago, ramshackler said:

Think there is some very harsh criticism on here on his highlights reel!

What I saw was a goalkeeper who stays on his feet right until the shot, leading to very good saves often off his head shoulder or arms.

Also while there were a few camera saves, there were alot of genuinely excellent stops. Very strong hands / wrists.

And watch it again, almost every parry was out of danger or straight to his own player. Even the punch back out down the middle at the end which on first glance looked poor. It was very controlled and straight to his own player in space. 

In fact every parry in the video either went safe or straight to his own player in space 

Looks good

Not much shown in terms of claiming crosses though

With DS and the top brasses' dedication to the moneyball principle, I'm confident they have a pretty good picture of Etheridge's potential also when it comes to claiming crosses, commanding the box and distributing his balls.

It also shows me that DS is willing to look at EVERY part of the team for improvements, putting sentiments aside. Makes me more excited about the summer, really, it's going to be a bloody interesting ride.

• Like 2

If we do sign Etheridge that’s 4 keepers who in their minds would be competing for the number one spot. Surely two would be leaving, perhaps Nyland permanently and Steer out on loan?

Then there’s Sarkic but guess he’s a shoe in for a loan any which way.

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Image result for you can prove anything stewart lee

• Like 1