What Year Will Villa Be Promoted?

maqroll

What Year Will Villa Be Promoted?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What Year Will Villa Be Promoted?

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Parachute payments are gone next season. Half a dozen teams will have them. It's going to get more difficult.  

At least until you realise that parachute payments only cover the enormous difference between PL and Championship TV money and are almost completely eaten up by having players on PL salaries that you can't get rid of.

The only teams that benefit from parachute payments are yo yo teams that don't add much to their Championship team, therefore getting all the benefits of PL money without the negative of having to pay players crazy amounts (Cardiff for example should be in pretty good shape even if they come back down) 

Our mistake was, of course, not phasing the players on PL salaries out in those 3 years (even adding to them!) but most of them will be gone in the summer anyway so next year we shouldn't be any better or worse off than most teams in this division, apart from having to buy a whole new team that is 

I voted 2021, this year's out, next season will be a rebuilding year and after that we should be able to push on 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weedman said:

At least until you realise that parachute payments only cover the enormous difference between PL and Championship TV money and are almost completely eaten up by having players on PL salaries that you can't get rid of.

The only teams that benefit from parachute payments are yo yo teams that don't add much to their Championship team, therefore getting all the benefits of PL money without the negative of having to pay players crazy amounts (Cardiff for example should be in pretty good shape even if they come back down) 

Our mistake was, of course, not phasing the players on PL salaries out in those 3 years (even adding to them!) but most of them will be gone in the summer anyway so next year we shouldn't be any better or worse off than most teams in this division, apart from having to buy a whole new team that is 

I voted 2021, this year's out, next season will be a rebuilding year and after that we should be able to push on 

For us I don't think with this season's parachute it makes a huge difference considering that our owners are super rich.

I've just been reading and another 13 million has been injected in by our owners to cover the signings of Kalanic and Guilbert.

All we really need is for our guys at the top that our owners placed in charge to find investments, so long as they keep doing that then I don't see FFP a thing for us. 

Salaries are going down which will free up alot of funds from what is a very high wage payout. Question is are we going to learn our lessons and sign some players who are not as high on weekly pay and demanding those type of wage packets.

I voted 2022 as I think it's going to take this season and possibly next to make a squad capable of being a worthy challenge again. While that squad is being made there is also the possibility that we will loan more, even sign more and they do not fit. As much as i say let's get out of the loan market and start buying first teamers again, I spose there is the pro that we can test a player before making commitments which is great. I'm trying to account for building a team and finding that balance where we seem to get a real good season with no bad apples in the squad, that will take longer than a season or two I think.

I went with next season. 2020. And I honestly believe that for many, many reasons. 

While I believe some of our squad are poor, we have a few players who I think can do a very good job in this league. Grealish stays for me. Unless he bangs in 20 goals in his remaining games I don't see anyone matching his valuation given his season so far. 

The youngsters will be back, except with first team men's football experience and a few of them will be very handy at this level, hopefully next season. 

We will have money to spend. Not a lot, but we will. I'm sure of this given our coolness regarding FFP and the investment we've made into a goalkeeper and buying a right back, to loan him back for the rest of the season. Sound like a club under financial pressure? 

I dont buy the 'next season will be a transition' stuff either. Preseason is the transition phase. Farke, Jokanovic, Nuno, Bielsa.. They didn't have a whole season to transition. The first two had poor half's of a season with someone else's squad. They all had one preseason though and their squad was ready. 

2020. Its ours. Champions. 

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I am a baker by trade, so I will use a baking analogy.

Let's say you set off to make a cake but half way through you realise you have added a wrong ingredient (player) or worse a few wrong ingredients (players) what should you do.

When I was young in my career I would try and think of ways to fix it quickly, too much sugar add some salt, too much liquid add more flour....

As I got more experienced (I didn't make as many mistakes) but when I did I knew it was easier and faster to start again.

Our team is one nasty cake mix, some good flavours over powered by some bad ones.... We've tried the fast option, now we need to bite the bullet and start fresh with a new cake mix.

It will taste delicious and well worth the effort!

trouble is ...we don't have the doe.

16 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

2021 is probably a sensible guess. Of course, the 'jam today' crowd will shout loudest and be disappointed.

“‘Jam today’ crowd”?

Very funny but maybe not in the way you think.

You realise the phrase comes from Alice In Wonderland where the White Queen tells Alice she can have jam tomorrow but never jam today - so you never actually get the jam because on any given day it’s always coming tomorrow?

So to all fully paid up members of the ‘jam tomorrow’ crowd - best of luck with that!😂

Edited, just for you...

2021 is probably a sensible guess. Of course, the 'millennial instant gratification' crowd will shout loudest and be disappointed. 😉

(And no... I am not for one instant suggesting that you are a millennial... I've kind of worked that out for myself).

Edited by Raver50032

We need get used to the Championship now.

Our chance was when we had parachute payment's. Without the parachute payment's we have to adopt the Brentford model, it was never an option for us, it was the only choice left. Every season now a team will come down with more disposable income and each season we need to beat these teams plus the teams that are still receiving an income that never got promoted. 

We need to rebuild an entire team on a near shoe string budget. Even if it was a 20M budget, we aren't going to be able to replace all the players we are going to lose adequately. We might as well stick with Dean Smith.....because literally no one else would give a ****, at least he's a Villan. 

We got relegated and Newcastle promoted at first attempt and Norwich are doing it in the final year of the payments. Our chance was missed with the previous owner playing us with a ride or die attitude. Xia had destroyed us last season and the new owners might have a big wallet but FFP has put a rather chunky chain and lock around it. 

I've gone with the 2020/2021 season (i.e. the year 2021 in the poll).  Next season, due to an enormous upheaval in playing staff; be it contracts expiring or players moving on (Jack); I think it would be nothing short of a miracle to be able to rebuild and go straight up within the same season.  So the following season will be the one where we can hit the ground running, know what we're truly about and fulfil Smith's vision.

15 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Edited, just for you...

2021 is probably a sensible guess. Of course, the 'millennial instant gratification' crowd will shout loudest and be disappointed. 😉

(And no... I am not for one instant suggesting that you are a millennial... I've kind of worked that out for myself).

Absolutely. **** millennials- always whinging about how we took all the money etc.

On 20/02/2019 at 17:36, holteend1982 said:

Sneak that 6th place spot this season. Win the play offs.

This. Imagine the scenes compared to everything that's going on right now. Even Hourihane would be hailed a hero!

More likely 2020 I think, get the right players in and start functioning more as a team. Hopefully we see an influx of players at the start of the window.

On 20/02/2019 at 11:55, Michelsen said:

I think 2021 is realistic but I’ve kind of accepted it might be longer. The sooner we realise we can’t quick fix our way back, the better. We’ve basically wasted our chance of a quick return to the Premier League and we’re now in a position where we really have to earn it. Total squad rebuild and a lot of patience is required. I’m worried we as fans haven’t got it in us. 

We have.

Just under the correct manager would be a start.

Yes we need a rebuild, but under a better manager.

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We have.

Just under the correct manager would be a start.

Yes we need a rebuild, but under a better manager.

I’m sure you’re aware of the irony in what you’ve written just there.

Â