Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ml1dch

The Funny T Nebulous Independent Group Oxy Morons

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think you mean you have different views, you should join in more. I think we have a fairly diverse range of backgrounds and locations. Hell we're even nice to the shandy drinker from Surrey (sometimes), I've even shared a few pints with him in various pubs over the years, same goes for Risso too. Both have very different outlooks on bolitics to me. Different opinions is good

While that's true there is still a bit of the old sweeping 'all Tories are evil/scum' or whatever from a couple of posters that probably puts people off.

Either way, Heidi Allen is hot.  I only know a bit about a few of the others but I can think of a few MPs that I respect that I can see joining.  Hopefully it turns into a proper movement as I know quite a few people who have wanted a centrist alternative, having been left behind by both parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Finally a party that returns us to the traditional centrist values of David Cameron.

 

That’s what I for one voted for but don’t currently believe the Tory party represents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the ridicule, does anyone think there's a chance that this could shake things up a bit and threaten the two party system we're currently in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

For all the ridicule, does anyone think there's a chance that this could shake things up a bit and threaten the two party system we're currently in?

I think it depends how long it lasts, who else joins and whether they actually coalesce in to a party or just stay a grouping of independents.

What happens after next week's vote or non-vote might give an idea. Maybe the likes of Grieve or Letwin could walk? Boles, too.

To your question, then, there is a chance but probably not that much of one. We could well be in quite new territory, though.

Opportunely, I'm off to a talk given by David Owen next Friday night called 'Hubris. The Road to Trump. Power, Populism and Narcissism'. I'm guessing he's rewriting it as we speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are they hoping to achieve? Will they organise themselves in time to actually oppose Brexit? Otherwise...

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Finally a party that returns us to the traditional centrist values of David Cameron.

 

Is that all this is? No thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, snowychap said:

 

If his scraps in Brussels with other UKIP types are anything to go by, standing isn't really Steven's strong suit anyway.

Dz3da7_WsAEpPJX?format=jpg

Edited by ml1dch
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

For all the ridicule, does anyone think there's a chance that this could shake things up a bit and threaten the two party system we're currently in?

One interesting thing about the Scottish Independence vote was the surge in interest in politics from people who were previously disengaged.  That was different in that it was a more positive campaign than the Brexit stuff has been, and there was a vibrancy about it that the current UK climate doesn't reflect.

That has died back a bit of course, and party memberships have fallen back a bit.  But when you have to move a party political meeting because three times as many people have turned up as the room can hold, you know something unusual is happening.

There's been a sense for some time that traditional party loyalties have been weakening, and the current splits partly reflect that.

Back when the SDP split happened, there was much talk of breaking the mould of politics and so on.  Some enthusiasm, less than Scottish indy but more than the pretty negative stuff around Brexit.  Some people really thought it was the death knell of traditional party politics, but it wasn't.

The current situation is probably a shaking up, but not something which fundamentally threatens the current system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

If his scraps in Brussels with other UKIP types are anything to go by, standing isn't really Steven's strong suit anyway.

Dz3da7_WsAEpPJX?format=jpg

Is that when he ended up in hospital getting the hj from Farage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Is that when he ended up in hospital getting the hj from Farage?

Just checked my keyboard, the 'h' key is just above the 'b'. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PompeyVillan said:

Just checked my keyboard, the 'h' key is just above the 'b'. 

Enable safesearch. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I think you mean you have different views, you should join in more. I think we have a fairly diverse range of backgrounds and locations. Hell we're even nice to the shandy drinker from Surrey (sometimes), I've even shared a few pints with him in various pubs over the years, same goes for Risso too. Both have very different outlooks on bolitics to me. Different opinions is good

Notice how he said shared rather than bought. :) 

but yeah echo that really , I’ve enjoyed a few discussions and pints with the 2 (ex posters) Ian’s over the years regardless of slight differences of opinion in Bolitic related matters 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

If his scraps in Brussels with other UKIP types are anything to go by, standing isn't really Steven's strong suit anyway.

Dz3da7_WsAEpPJX?format=jpg

Is that a genuine picture of it?  I never realised there was one floating about :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it appears that Brexiter Ian Austin has resigned from Labour last night and will be joining the Tiggers this morning. Really struggling to see this having much coherence now; Soubry couldn't have been clearer yesterday that this is not about austerity for her, only about Brexit, in which case what exactly is the position on Brexit that can please both of them?

Rumoured further joiners in the near future include Margaret Hodge and John Mann. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

So it appears that Brexiter Ian Austin has resigned from Labour last night and will be joining the Tiggers this morning. Really struggling to see this having much coherence now; Soubry couldn't have been clearer yesterday that this is not about austerity for her, only about Brexit, in which case what exactly is the position on Brexit that can please both of them?

Rumoured further joiners in the near future include Margaret Hodge and John Mann. 

Even with a few more members, it will remain a tinge group.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grieve on Newsnight last night saying that should the country be heading for No Deal he would have no option but to leave the Conservative Party

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

So it appears that Brexiter Ian Austin has resigned from Labour last night and will be joining the Tiggers this morning. Really struggling to see this having much coherence now; Soubry couldn't have been clearer yesterday that this is not about austerity for her, only about Brexit, in which case what exactly is the position on Brexit that can please both of them?

Rumoured further joiners in the near future include Margaret Hodge and John Mann. 

Oh Jesus Christ.  Literally nothing could make me turn against a project more quickly than Hodge's involvement.  The most disgraceful MP in recent history, bar none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what they're going to call this new 'centrist' party? How about... The Social Democrats? What could possibly go wrong? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder what they're going to call this new 'centrist' party? How about... The Social Democrats? What could possibly go wrong? 

Ch-Ch- Chukka Vision.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â