The Funny T Nebulous Independent Group Oxy Morons

ml1dch

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

She's wrong, it wouldn't

I dunno, I think many more probably would. We'd be in a place where neither tories nor the labours would be able to govern. Both would be outsized by the opposition to them. It'd inevitiably lead to a GE, which no one wants in the short term, not even Jezza.

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno, I think many more probably would. We'd be in a place where neither tories nor the labours would be able to govern. Both would be outsized by the opposition to them. It'd inevitiably lead to a GE, which no one wants in the short term, not even Jezza.

If Jezza doesn't want a GE then there would not be one as under the FTPA there are only two ways to dissolve parliament, the VONC stuff from the other month or 2/3rds of the house voting to dissolve. If Jezza doesn't want an election, he has it within his power not to have one

I suspect you are right that he doesn't, I also suspect that he could never say this publicly

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

If Jezza doesn't want a GE then there would not be one as under the FTPA there are only two ways to dissolve parliament, the VONC stuff from the other month or 2/3rds of the house voting to dissolve. If Jezza doesn't want an election, he has it within his power not to have one

I suspect you are right that he doesn't, I also suspect that he could never say this publicly

It wouldn't have to be Catweazle who put forward a motion of No Confidence, would it?

Someone else could do it surely - It's not (afaik) limited to the leader of the official oppo (only) who can do it -  I mean if the SNPs and a bunch of other freeminded MPs from the Tiggers, etc got a motion with enough sigs backing it, then it could get voted on, and then Catweazle would be in a bind (short term). He wants Brexit to happen. That's his priority. Then he wants it to hurt, then he wants to pick up support from angry voters, then he wants a GE. That's his "plan". A GE before Brexit is a nightmare for him. Because if he winss he'd have to either do Brexit, which he wants, and get the blame for the consequences - thus ending forever his 1970s utopian dreams, or he'd have to call Brexit off and go against his lifelong anti EU beliefs. He's just spent 2 years fannying around pretending to be both Leave and Remain so as not to lose (alleged) angry Northerners and (alleged) remainy southerners. Obv. if he loses a GE before Brexit happens, he gets replaced as leader and..game over.

The Tiggers (well, Chris Leslie) said yesterday that they intend to vote 'confidence' in a VONC because now isn't the time for an election. If I were Corbyn, and it was actually possible, which it might not be, I would call a VONC and force them to do that, to get that vote on the record for banking for a future election campaign. However, as I say, I don't know how plausible that is. 

One thing we know is that three more defections will cause the government to have no working majority even with the DUP. Of course, they seem to be safe in a VONC but then there will be a budget in April, and then there's (in theory) three more years of this Parliament, so I don't think Allen is that far off to be honest. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

It wouldn't have to be Catweazle who put forward a motion of No Confidence, would it?

No, absolutely not but we've already seen that the votes simply aren't there for this so that only leaves the 2/3rds majority to dissolve, Labour have over 1/3rd of the seats hence it being entirely within his control at that point, for dissolution Labour control enough seats to block it was my point

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

No, absolutely not but we've already seen that the votes simply aren't there for this so that only leaves the 2/3rds majority to dissolve, Labour have over 1/3rd of the seats hence it being entirely within his control at that point, for dissolution Labour control enough seats to block it was my point

They weren't there (the votes) but that's what I meant in my post about if many more tories do a runner a GE might well happen, because the votes would likely be there with the ex-tories now on the other side, potentially.

Just now, blandy said:

They weren't therer (the votes) but that's what I meant in my post about if many more tories do a runner a GE might well happen, because the votes would likely be there with the ex-tories now on the other side, potentially.

TIG will not currently vote to dissolve parliament, I think they've already stated this. See @HanoiVillanpost above

• Like 1

The Not-Party don't want an election as it would likely kill them in their cot. They've not got the groundwork done to prepare for an election, especially as they're rumoured to be aiming at marginals. And an election now also importantly gives Corbyn a chance at Downing Street, even if only small, and he is the Great Satan.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, blandy said:

The government is only obliged to give time to motions tabled by the official opposition which is why, I think, the officially worded one by the SNP, Lib Dems et al. before christmas didn't come to anything.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The government is only obliged to give time to motions tabled by the official opposition which is why, I think, the officially worded one by the SNP, Lib Dems et al. before christmas didn't come to anything.

Thanks Snowy.

I suppose turkeys and christmas, so if convention only obliges them to actually do a vote on a Catweazle motion of NC, they'd be unlikely to allow a vote on (say) a SNP led one. Mind you in these crazy times... I mean like (speculating wildly) May loses some vote on some Brexity thing (again), Corbyn decides not to do a VONC, but pretty much everyone else (Maybe even May) wants one (e.g. Tories ahead of Catweazle in the Polls) so she might let a SNP proposed vote go ahead? She is mad as a box of frogs #clutchingatstraws.

No, me neither

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Thanks Snowy.

I suppose turkeys and christmas, so if convention only obliges them to actually do a vote on a Catweazle motion of NC, they'd be unlikely to allow a vote on (say) a SNP led one. Mind you in these crazy times... I mean like (speculating wildly) May loses some vote on some Brexity thing (again), Corbyn decides not to do a VONC, but pretty much everyone else (Maybe even May) wants one (e.g. Tories ahead of Catweazle in the Polls) so she might let a SNP proposed vote go ahead? She is mad as a box of frogs #clutchingatstraws.

No, me neither

I guess the government could also table the motion. I doubt they'd decline time for their own motion, though with this lot...

We have no policies!  This is a new and exciting way of doing things!  People are tired of "policies".

We have shared values, man, because that's like, where the cool kids are at.  Did I say that right, Chucky love?

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

You don't think that a full manifesto inside two days is quite a big ask?

You think they just woke up one morning this week and thought "You know what, I'm going to form a new party - no, grouping - with a few other people, but I have no idea about what we want to propose, I'm sure something will emerge eventually"?

I haven't seen demands for a full manifesto down to the level of pricing policy for plastic bags in supermarkets and the best way to replace the Council Tax.   I have seen people asking about whether Brexit is their definjng issue, whether they are for austerity and against renationalisation (as suggested by their voting records); but answer came there none.

• Like 1

Â