Pre-Match Thread

OutByEaster?

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Can I be first to have a little panic over our midfield please?

Here are your choices gentlemen, any three from.....

• Hourihane
  • Whelan
  • Ramsey
  • Jedinak

Go!

Can we not just play a two in midfield and have two up top? We’re going to lose the midfield with two there or with three there.

Even picking two from those three is pretty difficult though! Not sure why Doyle-Hayes was allowed to go on loan. Now would be a good time to give him a few games and see how he goes. 

• Like 2

I think I'd try:

---------------------------------------Kalinic---------------------------------------

---------------Elphick-------------Mings-----------Hause-----------------

Elmohamady---------Whelan--------Jedinak-----------------Hutton

----------------------------------------Ramsey----------------------------------

---------------------------Abraham-----------Davis--------------------------

Which I think would be a little unfair on Ramsey and would still lose.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think I'd try:

---------------------------------------Kalinic---------------------------------------

Elmohamady---------Whelan--------Jedinak-----------------Hutton

----------------------------------------Ramsey----------------------------------

---------------------------Abraham-----------Davis--------------------------

Which I think would be a little unfair on Ramsey and would still lose.

You know that looks half decent, however I'd be tempted to play adomah in that left wing back position instead of Hutton. 

Doyle -Hayes was probably allowed to go on loan so he could develop his game away from our negative, non supportive fan base in the hope that when he returns he will have a skin thick enough to cope with the ‘twelfth man ‘ that inhabits our stands.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2019 at 18:50, OutByEaster? said:

Can I be first to have a little panic over our midfield please?

Here are your choices gentlemen, any three from.....

• Hourihane
  • Whelan
  • Ramsey
  • Jedinak

Go!

We can’t have Whelan and Jedinak in the same midfield, we might as well forfeit the match if that’s the case. I want to see Ramsey start the match after his impressive cameo against West Brom 

We last won at Stoke in 2014 and drew 2-2 at Villa Park 2 months ago, coming back gamely from a goal behind twice on that occasion. Overall we have won 47 and have drawn 27 of the 105 league games that there have been between the two clubs.

They lost their last home game to WBA, so that is something that we both have in common. They followed that defeat up with draws in their next two league games away at Wigan and Ipswich. They have had a miserable first year outside of the top flight to the extent that they will start the game 4 points behind us.

This is therefore a mid-table clash between two clubs that had previously been accustomed to playing football in the league above the one they are currently both floundering in. Both clubs had promotion hopes at the start of the season as well as managers with whom they have since parted company. Both clubs now face a minimum of another season outside of the top flight. 

This will be Stoke's first home game since Gordon Banks passed away, so they will be paying tribute to their late, great former player before this game. Anything other than a third successive defeat would be nice. Show us some fight Villa!  

• Like 2

Good post @OutByEaster?

I would go with this where I have made a couple of alterations in bold.

On 16/02/2019 at 19:21, OutByEaster? said:

I think I'd try:

Hutton-----------Whelan--------Hourihane----------------Green

----------------------------------------Davis-----------------------------------

---------------------------Abraham-----------Kodja------------------------

Edited by AvfcRigo82

20 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Good post @OutByEaster?

I would go with this where I have made a couple of alterations in bold.

At first I thought this was completely mad... but I've thought about it.

Elmo -----------Whelan--------Hourihane----------------Green

-----------------------------------Abraham-----------------------------------

---------------------------Davis------------Kodja------------------------

I would give this a go. Abraham spent most of the game on Saturday dropping into the midfield, he might as well play in the number 10 role as he can at least hold a ball up and take on a player.

Our major problem in this formation is the lack of wing backs we have. Elmo is a natural wing back and would probably be best on the right, on the left you could play any of Green, Adomah or El Ghazi; all have their limitiations defensively.

On 17/02/2019 at 16:47, smg said:

Doyle -Hayes was probably allowed to go on loan so he could develop his game away from our negative, non supportive fan base in the hope that when he returns he will have a skin thick enough to cope with the ‘twelfth man ‘ that inhabits our stands.

Best post of the topic - any topic