Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Brom

limpid

Match Polls  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/02/19 at 23:59

I haven't really got to say a lot about that. I thought as a whole the defence is ok today with Hause and Mings looking promising. As we all know the midfield is the problem area and Tammy had once good chance he should have taken, but he gets very little support. All a bit  flat, Albion deserved the win. We offered very little in the second half.

I just hope Dean, the coaching staff and the board have some good ideas in the off season as today is not my idea of having fun on the weekend.

We’d have more points under Bruce, fact. 

Really think the situation needs to be monitored carefully now. Always been a DS fan but if this trend of hopeless abject performances continues then I can certainly see a scenario where we say “thanks but no thanks Dean” come end of season. 

Questions to be asked: 

- why did we fail to sign a CM with physicality, legs and a pass in Jan?

- where is the intensity in our performances ? 

- why does he continue to flog the dead horse that is 4-3-3

- Kalinic ? Did we not learn anything from the damp squib that was nyland, we now have a bigger damper squib in goal 

- what are we doing in training?

Lots of questions to answer dean

ps the whole “no one out footballs Brentford “ comments in midweek were straight out of the Steve Bruce self preservation manual, you’d be best advised not to do that dean  

I don't go as often as I'd like these days, but went to the game today. Something like a 315 mile round trip, and on top of that I've been feeling pretty ill for the last couple of days and had almost no voice today. Won't be in a rush to go again - certainly not this season!

I do think we looked good until they scored, though.

There is clearly an issue with confidence, but that's not the only thing. We're in a malaise. There was no style of play and a complete lack of runners at times. I'm not sure if Whelan refuses to run into space when it's available due to instructions, or because he chooses not to. Either way, I get that he's supposed to be mindful of the counter attack and a deeper option, but it's so frustrating when he's the one who could potentially break through the lines or carry the ball forward while most others seem static, and he just stands several yards behind the play. Hourihane, who certainly should be in a position to do that, constantly went missing awful yet again today, and the fact he felt he could walk slowly off the pitch when we were trying to build momentum spoke volumes. Pathetic. McGinn as usual was the only one who looked like he could make anything happen, but he can't do it on his own.

Green wasn't sharp enough in tracking his man in the first half and I think he seems quite predictable overall. On the opposite side, I can see why Elmo got selected because he's the only one of our wingers who can be trusted to put a decent defensive shift in too. Unfortunately, he's also a bit shit. As are several of our players, such as Hutton (although at least he tried to move the ball forward more than most). Hause looked much better than the Brentford game - not that he could have been much worse - and I very much like Mings. He seemed incredibly frustrated at half-time - it seemed to me at the lack of movement in front of him. He took it forward himself a couple of times and looked like he'd be a better central midfielder than Hourihane and Whelan combined!

I know what any football fans can be like, but some of ours really do make me wince sometimes. Even in the first half, there was a palpable unease (which often became at least two or three men screaming nonsense at the top of their lungs) when we were passing it round the back or towards the keeper. It just doesn't help. Couple of guys near me also yelling at Ramsay after one or two poor touches not long after he came on, calling him a word removed etc. - emotions are high but it's just ridiculous. It'd be laughable if they weren't 'supporting' the same team as me. Was a very difficult situation for the young lad to come into - especially when we ended up just playing it long to Abraham or down the channels almost every time.

At least I'm at home and in bed now!

• Like 1

Lowlight for me, apart from conceding twice, was that corner late in the game where a perfect ball was played across the top of the box for Ramsey to have a shot and Whelan decided he'd cut the lad out and have a go himself, of course ending disastrously. 

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure it's a popular view, but I thought we deserved more from that game. We were the better side for 75 minutes of it and for me the performance was much better than our last two - sadly we were as threatening as a kitten with a daffodil and we still give away goals too easily.

I thought Mings looked good again and I thought Hause was good too - I don't think Taylor has put in a performance to match that one this season - I thought Whelan was good in midfield, McGinn too, and though it pains me to say it Elmohamady had a decent game on the right hand side.

We've got trouble in the middle of the park - Hourihane has never been the most aggressive of players, or the second most aggressive to be honest, but he's got through it by doing the things he's good at pretty well - right now he's not doing those things well and his confidence has gone completely, which is making him worse - he's currently about half a Hourihane and you can make an argument as to whether the full one is good enough - his head had gone today, he was visibly emotional when he went off and looked for a moment like he might have a go at the crowd - that wouldn't have been wise. Only he can get himself out of this rut - it's a test of his character.

Jacob Ramsey came on and looked nervous, which is understandable, he's seventeen and there are 39,000 people watching - I thought he got better as it went on, but he doesn't look like a player that can settle straight in and start games - which is a pity as we're now without McGinn, Grealish, Lansbury, Carroll and Bjarnason for the next one which means that he'll most likely have to start and worse, means he might have to start alongside the ghost of Connor Hourihane.

Albion didn't impress against a struggling Villa, I mean, they'll be delighted with the result, but I have a feeling they'll be back next season - a better team would have put us away today. 

It all looks like hard work for Abraham at the moment where a month or two ago it looked like the most fun in the world. He'll have better days than this.

The radio was full of people calling for Smith's head - I think it's six points from eight games in 2019 - that's poor form and it's going to get worse before it gets better - the next four are all tricky and one of them is just across the city. There will be a test of our new owners I think and of our faith in the manager. For me, at this point I think I'd stick rather than twist, I like Smith, but more importantly I can see that this squad isn't good enough - you can't make a silk purse from this crap no matter how good a manager you are.

This season finished during the week, no matter how much the local press might talk up our chances of taking a play off spot - only four of today's starting eleven are contracted for next season and for me, the size of the job in the summer is so big that next year will be a transitional one - there's a lot wrong here at the moment and sacking the manager won't solve it.

Given that most of the squad will leave in the summer, I'd keep the manager and change the team - but those calls are going to get louder over the next month because we're not looking like a team that can win games - how's your luck Dean?

Great post. Was on the plane on the way home so missed the game but this is exactly how I could picture the game.

When a club like Villa aren’t winning games the fans will turn and the players we have can’t take it. It’s more than just ability to be a top player, you have to have mental strength.

Ask any Leeds fan why so many players and managers have come and gone.

Ive seen nothing to suggest Smith can be the right manager but then I look at how his teams have played in the past when he has the players he wants, I like what I see.

If there is a Rafa or a Nuno available that wants the job then sack him. Otherwise stick with him and back him.

Sometimes you have to regress to progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good start to the game which peetered out very quickly. WBA wernt great, how they are in autos playing the way they do is beyond me. 

Barry had a great game again, why we never had someone stick on him and shut him down was a big mistake. Was picking out passes with barely any effort needed. Such a simple and effective player and at 38 still a class player.

The only ones to come out with any credit today were:

Hause much better today.

Mings again was probably our best player.

Elmo did well today and probably could have had a couple of goals if he had took shots instead of passing.

Whelan was ok.

Andre looked good but still lacking the final pass or cross, and sometimes trys to beat a man too much. Plenty of time for him to make it here though! 

Mcginn again the only one working hard and trying all he can. Wasted here at Villa unfortunately at the moment, wont be surprised to see someone come in for him this summer. Shame really he is a quality player, i hope to god we can keep hold of him this summer and build a team round him.

Ramsay did well looks composed and looking forward to seeing more of him.

The rest were just plain useless again. Absolutely gutted we didnt beat these lot and im starting to fear the worse when we visit the Sty in a few weeks time...... 

Deano needs to switch it up in terms of formation until the end of the season to accomodate what we have. Season is over but we really need to turn this round and quickly. I wont consider getting rid of him for at least another year yet. We need to just get through to end of the season now as positively as possible. 

One of our problems at the moment is Jack (obviously). He is normally double marked taking 2 players out the game when he is on ball thus leaving us space for a free man, we are not getting that at the moment and this a huge problem for us at the imo. Even so we should be doing better.

Another rebuild this summer is shocking considering all the money we have already spent down here. 

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, leighavfc said:

Good start to the game which peetered out very quickly. WBA wernt great, how they are in autos playing the way they do is beyond me. 

Barry had a great game again, why we never had someone stick on him and shut him down was a big mistake. Was picking out passes with barely any effort needed. Such a simple and effective player and at 38 still a class player.

The only ones to come out with any credit today were:

Hause much better today.

Mings again was probably our best player.

Elmo did well today and probably could have had a couple of goals if he had took shots instead of passing.

Whelan was ok.

Andre looked good but still lacking the final pass or cross, and sometimes trys to beat a man too much. Plenty of time for him to make it here though! 

Mcginn again the only one working hard and trying all he can. Wasted here at Villa unfortunately at the moment, wont be surprised to see someone come in for him this summer. Shame really he is a quality player, i hope to god we can keep hold of him this summer and build a team round him.

Ramsay did well looks composed and looking forward to seeing more of him.

The rest were just plain useless again. Absolutely gutted we didnt beat these lot and im starting to fear the worse when we visit the Sty in a few weeks time...... 

Deano needs to switch it up in terms of formation until the end of the season to accomodate what we have. Season is over but we really need to turn this round and quickly. I wont consider getting rid of him for at least another year yet. We need to just get through to end of the season now as positively as possible. 

One of our problems at the moment is Jack (obviously). He is normally double marked taking 2 players out the game when he is on ball thus leaving us space for a free man, we are not getting that at the moment and this a huge problem for us at the imo. Even so we should be doing better.

Another rebuild this summer is shocking considering all the money we have already spent down here. 

Its just made me laugh.....not because its false, because it is true.

but when do we double mark a quality player of the opposition?........for me that's more of the issue.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its just made me laugh.....not because its false, because it is true.

but when do we double mark a quality player of the opposition?........for me that's more of the issue.

I see where your coming from, but i would say there are not too many players in this league that need that kind of attention. I do agree though that when we come up against players of Jacks ability we should be taking them out the game. For example Barry should have been closed down from minute 1, again controlled the game as was the same against tesco away.

• Like 1

Dean Smith could do no wrong up until the Stoke game. Everyone was happy, and we were playing some of the best football we have for a long time. Even when winning Smith was complaining about aspects where we must improve and it was a breath of fresh air. 

Now everything has gone 180 degrees south and our form has fallen off a cliff at an alarming rate. I dont think its a coincidence it was as soon as we lost Jack Grealish. He really is that important. Tuanzebe also but to a lesser extent because we were still leaking goals with him in the side but at least he could play the ball out and contribute to our attacks with inteligent play. In their absence you hope certain players will step up but no one has and there lies the problem. Players with confidence and quality around them will perform 20% above their level, especially when the team are riding the crest of a wave. We've stagnated and now worryingly Smith looks like he's turning into a nervous wreck.

We are a cursed football club im sure of it. 

21 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The players have given up. I basically have as well. They don't deserve to have 40k supporters turning up. I detest the majority of them and can't wait for them to gtfo. 

That's probably the most apt statement relating to us at the moment....but i suspect it won't last long.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Great post. Was on the plane on the way home so missed the game but this is exactly how I could picture the game.

When a club like Villa aren’t winning games the fans will turn and the players we have can’t take it. It’s more than just ability to be a top player, you have to have mental strength.

Ask any Leeds fan why so many players and managers have come and gone.

Ive seen nothing to suggest Smith can be the right manager but then I look at how his teams have played in the past when he has the players he wants, I like what I see.

If there is a Rafa or a Nuno available that wants the job then sack him. Otherwise stick with him and back him.

Sometimes you have to regress to progress.

with respect its been over 10 years, many fans are having their loyalty tested, with years and years of poor decision making by the club.....I agree with your opinion on mental strength, hence the reason to get the recruitment right.

I too am not sure of Deans standing....and I am not sure if there are issues behind the scenes.....but I am sure that someone has to be given time to rebuild this and everybody attached with the club has to pull in the same direction.....picking flies by everyone after every match due to frustration....is not helping.

However, I think they need to keep us informed, incrementally of the progress we are making to give us confidence we are on the right lines.

• Like 1

Â