Sign in to follow this  
bickster

The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

1 hour ago, bickster said:

In theory, you are breaking the law if you watch live to air TV without a licence.

In practice, the chances of detection are absolutely minimal

I guess they used antenna detection in the earlier days. When everything comes by fiber cables, how can they detect it? 

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

I guess they pretended to use antenna detection in the earlier days.

FTFY

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

When everything comes by fiber cables, how can they detect it? 

They need to gain access to the premises, though it could be said anyone paying for a service like Cable or Sky will automatically be required to pay for a licence. Not sure if the Licensing Authority have access to that information though

The letters they send out if they suspect you've not paid the licence are masterful examples of how to write something that appears threatening.

At uni I lived in a mixed occupancy house for a while and would regularly get TV licence less through. They are written with lots of serious and threatening sounding language that is meant to scare you into acting without actually reading and understanding what they say, and it's brilliant. The ones we used to get were along the lines of 'we know you're being the law. Buy a TV licence now or you'll be in significant trouble. We know you're breaking these laws, and we'll prove it when you're forced to let us inspect your TV equipment. You are breaking the law, it will be better for you if you don't make us prove it, as you'll be then be subject to to prosecution under these acts too. But a TV licence now'.

The irony being I had bought a TV licence.

My brother has had a mexican standoff with them for years as he refuses to buy a TV licence.

He steadfastly refuses to watch any free-to-air telly and will only watch netflix (not iPlayer). They don't believe him as they say he clearly has a telly in the living room. He replies saying that they are welcome to come and visit to see for themselves. He has no aerial and the TV is not tuned in to receive any channels but they've never taken him up on the invitation, even when he told them he'd get chocolate hobnobs in specially for their visit. The letters are, as Chindie says, to scare you into getting a licence. The chances of them taking you to court over it are infinitesimally small.

I questioned him once as to why he won't buy a licence. He said it was because he objected to them dictating that he needed a licence. He really is a belligerent bugger.

1 hour ago, choffer said:

My brother has had a mexican standoff with them for years as he refuses to buy a TV licence.

He steadfastly refuses to watch any free-to-air telly and will only watch netflix (not iPlayer). They don't believe him as they say he clearly has a telly in the living room. He replies saying that they are welcome to come and visit to see for themselves. He has no aerial and the TV is not tuned in to receive any channels but they've never taken him up on the invitation, even when he told them he'd get chocolate hobnobs in specially for their visit. The letters are, as Chindie says, to scare you into getting a licence. The chances of them taking you to court over it are infinitesimally small.

I questioned him once as to why he won't buy a licence. He said it was because he objected to them dictating that he needed a licence. He really is a belligerent bugger.

I don't know if it's changed, but you used to need a licence to operate equipment capable of receiving broadcasts. It makes no difference if you don't watch broadcasts. The licence is for operating the equipment.

• Like 1

Just now, limpid said:

I don't know if it's changed, but you used to need a licence to operate equipment capable of receiving broadcasts. It makes no difference if you don't watch broadcasts. The licence is for operating the equipment.

Quite possibly the case. He's strung it out for 6 years so far though and not heard a peep from them for a couple of years, from what he's said.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

The letters they send out if they suspect you've not paid the licence are masterful examples of how to write something that appears threatening.

At uni I lived in a mixed occupancy house for a while and would regularly get TV licence less through. They are written with lots of serious and threatening sounding language that is meant to scare you into acting without actually reading and understanding what they say, and it's brilliant. The ones we used to get were along the lines of 'we know you're being the law. Buy a TV licence now or you'll be in significant trouble. We know you're breaking these laws, and we'll prove it when you're forced to let us inspect your TV equipment. You are breaking the law, it will be better for you if you don't make us prove it, as you'll be then be subject to to prosecution under these acts too. But a TV licence now'.

The irony being I had bought a TV licence.

Does Dem work for them?

;) 

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this  

Â