sir_gary_cahill

Defending Set Pieces

Recommended Posts

In my opinion, defending set pieces is an issue at the moment, we’re too soft as a team, particularly in midfield. How we fix this is obviously up to Smith but it is a problem and has been for some time in my opinion. We’re too nice, it’s probably why Mings was brought in, we need to be tougher as a team in my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We get blocked off too easily which is a problem with man to man marking, it's why so many managers are going zonal but it takes time to get used to, if it were me as soon as playoffs are completely gone I'd switch to zonal (can always man mark real danger men) and work on it relentlessly in pre season 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, weedman said:

We get blocked off too easily which is a problem with man to man marking, it's why so many managers are going zonal but it takes time to get used to, if it were me as soon as playoffs are completely gone I'd switch to zonal (can always man mark real danger men) and work on it relentlessly in pre season 

We’re only 6 points off the play offs, if we can tighten up at the back, we can make them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also like to defend our set pieces. We’ve scored quite a few goals from them and it’s one part of the game that Hourihane does perform well at, even if he’s not an absolute specialist like Bacuna.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I would also like to defend our set pieces. We’ve scored quite a few goals from them and it’s one part of the game that Hourihane does perform well at, even if he’s not an absolute specialist like Bacuna.

Agreed, in terms of attacking them, I think we’re great but not defending them, I don’t know why that is, maybe someone can shed some light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think its been an issue for years. Can only remember Guzan in last 15 years that came off his line to try catch them and it takes so much pressure off the team. The rest leave it to the defence 

Though watching other teams it seems that's what most keepers do now and its another reason for the goalkeeper decline. Only top flight keeper ive seen collect from set pieces recently is Fabianski

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think its been an issue for years. Can only remember Guzan in last 15 years that came off his line to try catch them and it takes so much pressure off the team. The rest leave it to the defence 

Though watching other teams it seems that's what most keepers do now and its another reason for the goalkeeper decline. Only top flight keeper ive seen collect from set pieces recently is Fabianski

I think you are correct Zatman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, defending set pieces is an issue at the moment, we’re too soft as a team, particularly in midfield. How we fix this is obviously up to Smith but it is a problem and has been for some time in my opinion. We’re too nice, it’s probably why Mings was brought in, we need to be tougher as a team in my opinion 

Whilst there is always room for improvement - I don't really see set pieces as isolated issue - it just chaos and unorganised in the defence - our cb's seem to stay very close to each other - but the full backs seem half way up the pitch - so the most primitive attacks cause us problems

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hutton is. A big problem here. He always gets beat or is wrongly positioned. I can't wiat to see the back of him to be honest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Whilst there is always room for improvement - I don't really see set pieces as isolated issue - it just chaos and unorganised in the defence - our cb's seem to stay very close to each other - but the full backs seem half way up the pitch - so the most primitive attacks cause us problems

I think you are correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hutton is. A big problem here. He always gets beat or is wrongly positioned. I can't wiat to see the back of him to be honest 

Not long to wait then, for me, he’s been a great servant and I’ll remember him fondly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites