Pre match thread

roonst83

Have no idea whether to look forward to this with slight optimism after our comeback last night or utterly dread it after our terrible performance for 80 mins last night. 

Either way, the Sky cameras will be picking it up and likely hoping for an upset for Smith on his return. 

Most unlikely result based on past couple of months is a Villa win. We always do poor away to Brentford. Probably a draw and we continue to drift. Need a win but struggle to see it with the players we have, the lack of cohesion we are displaying and the lack of grit, bite and determination that we have been showing of late (barring a last ten mins last night).

Ultimately these games are becoming more and more insignificant as we go on dropping points and missing opportunities. Some time soon we’re going to need to get a win again on the road. Wednesday would be ideal. 

The nature of the comeback gives the opportunity for it to serve as a galvanisng moment in the season. If we win here, I believe we will then go on and start winning consecutively again. Lose or draw, and it will confirm for me this season definitely is a write-off. It likely is already as that first 80 minutes was gobshite, and is more reflective of how we generally play. Still, at least we know we'll play until the very end.

We have lost on our last two visits to Griffin Park. :( That rot needs to be stopped on Wednesday night!

We last won at Brentford in 1953 and prior to 2017 we had never lost to them. That 1953 FA Cup victory was our third successive away win there. In all we have won 6 and have drawn 5 of the 13 league & cup games between the two clubs. They recorded their first ever win against us 2 years ago and since then they have stretched their unbeaten run against us to 4 games.  

This represents an opportunity to again find the form that we showed at the end of Friday night's game, rather than to return to the sort of inept away performances that we produced at Wigan and Reading. Dean's old club, their supporters (including those who visit this site) and most neutrals will be looking for any lingering promotion hopes that we might still entertain to be ended by another defeat at Griffin Park. Let's win it Villa!!!      

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Our recent results against these leave me feeling apprehensive for Wednesday night but hopefully the team can be boosted by Friday's remarkable comeback.

I would start with the same eleven that finished that game, providing Chester and Grealish are still sidelined. Would be a boost to see Jack on the bench sometime soon, seems like an eternity since he hobbled off at the Hawthorns.

Hard to call this. Usually I would say I would take a point in this kind of fixture post-match, but single points aren't enough for us. We need to attack from the off, press high, play with confidence and purpose and hopefully if we can take our chances we may edge it 1-2 or 2-3.

UTV 

Kalinic

Hutton    Elphick   Mings   Taylor

Whelan

El Ghazi  Hourihane  McGinn  Green

Abraham

I don't think we have anything better than the above currently. Whelan changed the game on Friday and needs to start over Jedinak, our problem is other than the three starting we have no other centre midfield options this week. 

Green offers more out wide than Kodjia, he is more direct and will only get better with game time.

I can't call this one, we will need to be significantly better than Friday if we are to come away with 3 points.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Kalinic

Hutton    Elphick   Mings   Taylor

Whelan

El Ghazi  Hourihane  McGinn  Green

Abraham

I don't think we have anything better than the above currently. Whelan changed the game on Friday and needs to start over Jedinak, our problem is other than the three starting we have no other centre midfield options this week. 

Green offers more out wide than Kodjia, he is more direct and will only get better with game time.

I can't call this one, we will need to be significantly better than Friday if we are to come away with 3 points.

That would be my side too, Grealish can’t come back quick enough, we need to find a way where we aren’t so reliant on him. Hopefully Green will step up, I think he will

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Spot on Raver. It's gung ho from here.

Like many have said the scoreline could be anything.

I'm going for a 3-1 win to us (hopefully).

Your optimism is as rampant as the lion on our badge... Let's hope it prevails this time :)

• Like 1

I think we'll take the last 10 minutes of Sheffield United into this game.  Almost like we've remembered we can muller teams if we go at them.  I think we win it.  It'll be an interesting watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I think we'll take the last 10 minutes of Sheffield United into this game.  Almost like we've remebered we can muller teams if we go at them.  I think we win it.  It'll be an interesting watch.

I really hope so. Smith has to build on that momentum, it's such a good opportunity to do so. 

29 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

The one advantage we may have is that Smith knows the Bees inside out.

Yes, I think this myself. 

Being at home and their players surely they will up their game too. We equally need to be on ours if we are to get something here besides another damned draw.