refereeing standards sub standard?

Mr.Messy

I think there's just such a weird stigma about stuff that happens in the penalty area, especially around set pieces, that it just seems ridiculous when you look at them in isolation.

Like a lot of set pieces, if the above had happened in the centre circle it would 100% have been a foul. But refs are reluctant to give penalties. Which makes the heavy handedness in the box even worse, which makes the refs even more reluctant and it spirals out of control.

It's one of those things where the only way to really solve it is to just start giving them as fouls and have a few weeks of chaos as people get used to it. It'll never happen though.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there's just such a weird stigma about stuff that happens in the penalty area, especially around set pieces, that it just seems ridiculous when you look at them in isolation.

Like a lot of set pieces, if the above had happened in the centre circle it would 100% have been a foul. But refs are reluctant to give penalties. Which makes the heavy handedness in the box even worse, which makes the refs even more reluctant and it spirals out of control.

It's one of those things where the only way to really solve it is to just start giving them as fouls and have a few weeks of chaos as people get used to it. It'll never happen though.

Yep. It was done in the WC and it was so effective and we've regressed back to this bullshit again.

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

#clearing in the woods 

What a prick. And this is one of England's best? Anyone who thinks that should be forced to bungy jump without a rope.

20190211_225926.thumb.jpg.ed1da75bc68fba7321b795ed6a1e640d.jpgHere is that still by the way. 

I saw a replay of their first goal and noticed there was none of this from our defenders. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i find it hard to believe the Mings pull down was "missed" --by the clown officiating!--i just wonder what would have happened had it occoured in their box?---after all the ref and linesman "missed" Sharp being offside and interfering and the fact his studs were raised and Kalinic clearly had both palms around the ball!!---------probably a penalty no doubt!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Objectively, the officiating in Cardiff vs Chelsea game is absolutely the worst I've ever seen in my entire life. Cardiff denied two clear penalties, a red card for Rudiger who committed a foul whilst being the last man and had a goal scored against them that was a mile offside. Cardiff's status as a premier league club is in the balance and there's no excuses for systematically awful decisions during a match. The officials should be suspended for such levels of incompetence. Utterly horrific.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Diabolical officiating. How that could have ever been given a red is beyond me, they clearly operated on assumption rather than clear evidence, disgusting stuff.

Yeah. I mean I have SOME sympathy there, for the ref anyway. If his linesman has told him El Ghazi has elbowed someone then he doesn't really have a choice but to send him off.

As for the linesman, there WAS a flailing arm, and Bamford did go down like he'd been hit. So I can kind of see why he thought that had happened. But at the end of the day it was so far from being true that it's hard to see how the linesman can be "sure" what had happened. And if he's not sure he can't advise a red for that.

But overall the officials didn't have control of the game at all. I don't know why refs are so reluctant to get their cards out early on. Keeping them in your pocket just encourages people to go in hard. Leeds players were basically taking it in turns to get yellow cards in the second half.

Â