refereeing standards sub standard?

Mr.Messy

Yesterdays terrible officiating has again reinforced my feeling that referees in this division are generally poor, ever since relegation to me it seems that we are aways debating crap official decisions against us. I decided as a guage to consult the oracle that is the match reaction thread poles (see results below) to see if there is any legitimacy to my paranoia/suspicions in respect to opinion on refereeing performance. It would seem that overall we collectively share the same view or maybe Aston Villa fans are just a bit negative? Is this just football? Not since the first game has the majority scored the referees performance higher than average.

Hull a 48% good

Wigan h 42% poor

Ipswich a 36% poor

Brentford h 55% very poor

Reading h 36% poor

Sheff Utd a 57% average

Blackburn a 42% poor

Rotherham h 48% average

Sheff Wed h 39% average

Bristol C a 65% average

Preston h 43% very poor

Millwall a 40% poor

Swansea h 41% average

Norwich a 56% average

QPR a 48% average

Bolton h 42% average

Derby a 45% average

Birm Cty h 46% average

Nott For h 50 % average

Middlesbrough a 43% average

WBA a 77% very poor

Stoke h 56% average

Leeds h  39% poor

Swansea a 65% average

Preston a 42% poor

QPR h 48% very poor

Wigan a 51% average

Hull h 58% average

Ipswich h 52% average

Reading a 40% poor

Sheff Utd h 81% very poor

I do sometimes feel for referees having to make a fair judgement on something that hppens in an instant, when everyone else gets to the benefit of a full post mortem with replays and slo-mo. Time for VAR in the Championship? I think so. I personally feel there is some conspiracy against the mighty Aston Villa in the Championship, after all everyone likes to see the underdog win.

The trouble with the match rating system is the likelihood of a good of very good rating for a referee. If a referee does their job really well and it's a quietish game we shouldn't really notice them, so pretty likely to get an average from us fans.

But I do feel we've had some awful refs this year, yesterday and QPR the standouts for me but for completely different reasons.

Yesterday for important result affecting individual decisions and the QPR game for completely losing control of the game whilst getting whistle happy and stopping any football being played.

55 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

commercial ambitions for the franchise. 

I think I just did a sick in my mouth. 

Refs are terrible though. I thought premier league refs were bad, but Jesus! I dread to think what happens in league two. Just drag some pissed up bloke out the boozer?

• Haha 1

Call me crazy but I think the elf want to keep us down here as we generate money and interest in this league. It’s more interesting for them to have us in the elf than a Huddersfield or Cardiff

Thats whywr get so many bad decisions against us

Edited by Demitri_C

Last night I watched the 88th minute penalty that wasn't given on super slow mo to see if Mings had been impeded. 

I froze frame at the moment his shirt was clearly showing as being pulled. 

I was just about to press play to resume the footage when I realised the still on my telly was almost comical. 

Bearing in mind the ball was in play and on its was into the box, of the 5 or 6 Villa players in view every single one of them had a a Sheffield arm right a cross their body impeding their movement. Every one of them. 

The penalty that wasn't given could have actually been given for 7 different offences! 

Edited by sidcow

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Last night I watched the 88th minute penalty that wasn't given on super slow mo to see if Mings had been impeded. 

I froze frame at the moment his shirt was clearly showing as being pulled. 

I was just about to press play to resume the footage when I realised the still on my telly was almost comical. 

Bearing in mind the ball was in play and on its was into the box, of the 5 or 6 Villa players in view every single one of them had a a Sheffield arm right a cross their body impeding their movement. Every one of them. 

The penalty that wasn't given could have actually been given for 7 different offences! 

Any chance you have it recorded to grab a pic of it? Haven’t seen any of the incident myself... 

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Call me crazy but I think the elf want to keep us down here as we generate money and interest in this league. It’s more interesting for them to have us in the elf than a Huddersfield or Cardiff

Thats whywr get so many bad decisions against us

What an opportunity to ignite a challenge..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRltXtJd5VDkOiLf49W_Gn

Oil company's out!

49 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Watched the highlights just now.

Here's a screengrab

Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 10.26.37.png

I don't know how to do a screen grab off my telly but it was more or less that shot but showing another 3 or so Villa players being grabbed left of that. 

• Like 1

The ref from last night, Tony Harrington, is from Cleveland, of North Riding Yorkshire.

I understand that referees want to be regarded as professionals, especially under the glare of TV coverage, fans in the stands, their peers, and their bosses. However, when it comes to 50/50 calls, a person cant help subconsciously gravitating towards their favoured team.

Looking back at previous results which he officiated, gives no indication at all that he is a Sheff Unted fan. The results are all over the place, so I wont go so far to say he is corrupt. He seems to be more likely an incompetent tool rather than a cheat.

However, regardless of all this, I have a great idea. How about when selecting officials for matches, they don't choose refs for teams from their home area? I hope that is not too hard.

Mike Dean however, now that is a #%$#@(! cheat.

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Watched the highlights just now.

Here's a screengrab

Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 10.26.37.png

Cheers Stefan! 

What is the ref actually looking at there then if he doesn’t notice a blatant shirt pull? FFS.  

What did he give? Anything, or did play just go on? 

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Cheers Stefan! 

What is the ref actually looking at there then if he doesn’t notice a blatant shirt pull? FFS.  

What did he give? Anything, or did play just go on? 

Nothing. Played on.

Â