When was the last time we came back from three goals down in the league?! (And I mean before today!) :D

robby b

Blimey.

😵

My dearest Sheffield United, I feel so very sorry for you for blowing your 3-0 lead in the last ten minutes... not !!! 😂

Right... so do any fellow stats nerds out there, or non-nerds, know when we last managed a comeback from 3 goals down in the league? I can't remember a single time and I've been following Villa since I was five, way back in 1979. I'd sadly resigned myself to the fact that we're just a rare club that never ever pull off a three or more goals comeback and probably never would in my lifetime! : ( But Andre Green has put that right, good lad! : )

Edited by robby b

I had a quick look and we haven’t done it in a league match in any season I looked at (I went as far back as about 1991).

Before that, the records are not as quickly and easily found so I left it, would have to leave to the older supporters or someone more dedicated to find out.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I remember being 4:1 up at Spurs and drawing 4 each 

I can't forget that terrible nightmare match, watching it in a bar in Lima on Fox Sports, it was October 2007, we were 4-1 up and cruising with just 20 minutes to go. When Spurs equalised in the 90th minute I must have looked so crushed, the kind barman looked genuinely sad for me and said sorry. That game is definitely in my five worst, most painful Villa feelings ever. :( I prefer yesterday, the other way round! :D

Very much something we never do. Was amazing to witness. A lot of people would have switched off the tele at 0-3. When Abraham scored I was thinking at least theres a bit of respectability about the scoreline but theres no way we'll equalise its just not what Villa do. Then that blatant shirt tug on mings compounded the feeling its not happening. Then we only go and equalise. Brilliant. Oh and f*** that ref, mug

• Like 1

I can honestly say, I struggled to follow the game at times

A friend of ours came about an hour before the game started

Some how that night the two of us drank 9 cans of Guinness, a litre of Rum, two bottles of Aldi lager and a snowball, very close to drinking the alcohol free lager I have in the cupboard  ( I now declare this house alcohol clean) still suffering from the effects two days later and watched the highlights this morning

On 08/02/2019 at 22:18, robby b said:

Right... so do any fellow stats nerds out there, or non-nerds, know when we last managed a comeback from 3 goals down in the league?

Happy to be proven wrong, but it appears as though the last time was 28th April 1990 at Villa Park versus Norwich City. 

As mentioned, actual reports and such are sketchy, this is the best I can do for a source.

Funnily enough the next game that season, away at Everton, was also 3-3 - and there's nice write up here as it was GT v1's final game in charge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, hogso said:

Happy to be proven wrong, but it appears as though the last time was 28th April 1990 at Villa Park versus Norwich City. 

As mentioned, actual reports and such are sketchy, this is the best I can do for a source.

Funnily enough the next game that season, away at Everton, was also 3-3 - and there's nice write up here as it was GT v1's final game in charge. 

Thanks, I just found the goals for that game on Dailymotion but they're in this order: Norwich, Villa, Villa, Villa, Norwich, Norwich. But then I see what you mean, your worldfootball.net source does make it look like we were 3-0 down. Hmm. 🤨🤔🧐

Edited by robby b

Â