Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/19 at 23:59

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're playing badly, we're badly organised, we have an ageing and disjointed squad and we're being propped up by loanees. We play two good sides next and I fear for us a little bit, and yet I know in five years time I'll have forgotten that and I'll still remember me and Andre, me and Glenn. It's a curious and magical game this thing of ours. 

Yup, More loans propping us up than Help[ to buy loans propping up the housing market! 

There was one job to do last night and that was to mark billy sharp, our defence is shocking only equalled by the ref and some of our baby players. Its part of the game to read a ref and know what you can get away with Liverpool won titles on it.

11 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I am sorry but that was awful. I feel so mixed up, really excited by the end but it is impossible to ignore the first 80 minutes when we didn’t even trouble them once. Smith was a huge gamble that is not paying off. I want it to work but he will be gone before the start of next season. Totally out of his depth. I know I will get abuse for this post but I don’t care. If you are happy with what is happening then you do not understand football.

If you understood football, you'd realise that Smith needs players that fit his style of play. He can't be playing his attacking, high intensity style with Jedinak, Hutton etc. 

18 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Just seen the replay. Do the championship have goal line technology?

Their first goal looks like it didnt cross the line.

Yes - they showed it during the coverage last night. 

Speaking of that ‘coverage’ - special word for Andy Hinchcliffe. The man clearly hates us but I’ve never seen anyone swivel on their opinion so quickly, particularly with their second goal, and our penalty shout for Mings I think it was

3 and out / back to the pub is a thing for fans I know, has been for a long time, and these are fans that are home and away every week, I can remember leaving white hart lane after 30 minutes and st marys after 16 i think it was (And the 4th went in before I got to the concourse) only ever had it happen once at VP though and that was the Liverpool game 

I even turned the TV off at 3 - 0 (I am on holiday to be fair to me)

24 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Managed to watch the game last night and knowing you have this thread I spent the first 80 minutes wondering who would get MOM! The team were playing so poorly, the ref was poor ( I don't think in this day and age many refs would have allowed their second goal.......gone are the days of Nat Lofthouse et al bundling the ball and goalkeeper over the line to score 😀 and invariably in 50.50's they side with the goalkeeper) and there was no spark with the midfield certainly  second to everything. McGinn would have been used to much of the play as for a long spell the main ball being played was a diagonal to Hutton......at Hibs it was always a diagonal ball to David Gray as the only out ball we seemed to have......predictable for the opposition.

At that point I almost turned it off.....but am glad I didn't.....what an ending and shows how much confidence and belief is part of the game. Once one went in Sheff United started to sit deeper and once the second was scored you could see the Villa players begin to believe and United defenders became a little panicky culminating in the mis-kick that McGinn pounced on got to the line and put in the perfect cross for the third.

You never know this may get the team going for a push towards the play offs. If they can do this against one of the top sides in the league then who knows? Sort of result that gets the dressing room and fans buzzing even though it was only one point.

As for McGinn, thought he had a poor game till the last 10 when he got on the ball a bit more and then made the  equaliser. Smith seems to have him playing quite far forward, certainly from when he first came to you ( and for us)  and much of the game seemed to pass him by and wasn't involved in many midfield tussles and not much opportunity to use that famous arse of his! I noticed in one or two 50.50 balls he didn't go flying in like he used to which of course often got him a yellow.......perhaps the coaching team are sorting this side of his game but am not sure his best position is so far forward in the midfield. Many times he was waiting in the box for crosses and passes to come in where in the past he would be the one running with the ball into the box and to the line to cross and trying to make things happen for others.

Up to 80 minutes I had Mings down as MOM and still believe he deserved it at the end especially as his goal started the comeback.....looks a good player.

'mon Villa , kick on from here.

McGinn’s positioning in midfield is down to Grealish’s absence, he’ll go back to just doing two jobs when Jack is back!

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Not that much of a mess really, play off final and a squad of decent players at this level.

Oh dear! Do you want to try again? Even the previous manager was bemoaning how the team had been decimated. 

Yes, mess, a big mess. If you can't see that then you need to look again.

14 minutes ago, a m ole said:

McGinn’s positioning in midfield is down to Grealish’s absence, he’ll go back to just doing two jobs when Jack is back!

Aye, I can see that.   Hopefully Grealish will be back soon to halve the load. 😀

14 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

As an Aussie I find it very hard to criticise Jedinak at all, he has been an absolute warrior for my country and was a very decent premier league footballer. So I say this with a heavy heart, please DS never ever play him again, if we are that desperate then put a kid in there to see what they can do.

Mile if you happen to read this, I'm sorry

I feel very much the same. Love him but it's time to take him out the back and shoot him (figuratively speaking of course). 

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Was you at the game?? 

I wasn't and I left early............from the telly.

awful display for 70 minutes.

They should pay them 20 minutes work.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's all complicated in my head so what I'm going to do is start with the referee, use him as an unnecessary and complicated metaphor for our performance, talk about the game a bit and about moments, lose my way, then finish in the opposite way to usual on a big fat negative, 

Nudge in the back. Nothing. Foul. Nothing. Good challenge. Whistle. Free kick. Take free kick. That's how it worked under this referee. Or at least that's how it worked when United had the ball. When we had the ball, it went. Nudge in the back. Nothing. Foul. Nothing. Good challenge. Whistle. Free kick.Take free kick. Whistle. Take free kick again.

Have you ever watched a game where the commentary is out of synch with the visuals, so you're never sure if the commentator is commenting on what just happened or what's about to happen? He was like that with a whistle. The Dali of referees. 

Even so, after about an hour I'd come to notice that he'd had no real influence on the game, he was strange for everyone and the players seemed to accept it and just try to do their best around him. Of course, then he decided to pull a foul up off the top shelf for their second goal and spoil that for me. He was always a step ahead, or eight seconds behind, I'm not sure which.

In many ways that's reflective of our performance in the match; we were awful, absolutely abject - but in the same way that the referee's decisions weren't influenced by play, our ability to score goals isn't in any way attached to our ability to play football - they just come, almost at random, for very little reason.

For no reason at all, we fumbled our way to a corner on 81 minutes and Mings who had a decent home debut headed home, I didn't celebrate that goal because I was in a mood. Then, we started to play with a little bit more intention than we had for the rest of the second half - that annoyed me further, if you can do it, why weren't you doing it for the previous half hour? Then, sort of out of nothing a ball popped up on the back post and Tammy Abraham did his thing to put us in sight of it. I clapped reasonably politely. We weren't good enough to get back into it, we didn't deserve it and if anything United would score again to ensure that order was restored. Of course, magically that wasn't to be.

Football gives you moments as a fan, things you remember, things you'll take with you to the end of your footballing days - moment when you're bellowing like a donkey with its cock on fire and throwing your arms around like one of those inflatable things you sometimes see outside car hypermarkets, moments where you forget where you are, who you are, what you've got to do tomorrow, that you're in your forties, that you have been in a mood for 90 minutes - everything. Moments that take you away and make you part of something that's just.....wonderful. 

I had a bit of a moment when we equalised. Andre Green slid directly at me and the players celebrated right of front of my moment. I had an eye contact moment with Glenn Whelan, it was unnerving but special. We were as one. It was only a moment, I'm sure Glenn is over it. It left me breathless; that's a first for him.

Some fans left after United's second goal, an awful lot left after the third goal - those that left after the full time whistle bounced out of Villa Park with manic grins and red faces - shared moments, moments for themselves, times to remember.

And that's why it's complicated - to try to separate the moment from the game, the magic from the underlying performance, because lets be in no doubt about it, this was a terrible performance - Taylor was poor, Jedinak showed that his next move should be retirement, the limitations of our midfield were exposed, Kodjia was half arsed and ineffective, El Ghazi hit-and-miss, Abraham alone. Individually we were second best and as a team we were miles away from the opposition - they opened brightly and passed the ball round us like we were cones, at times it was dazzling, but you always felt both team were contributing to it. We were still in the game at half time because we'd worked our magic over forty-five minutes and made them worse. 

If anything we were worse after the break, we lack energy and spark, we lack the ability to pass and keep the ball, we have a manager famed for a pass-and-move approach and either he's gone off the idea or they aren't listening, because the only passing we do is around our back four and even then we look like we're about to lose it at any moment, especially when the big Aussie in front of them has never been able to pass and is rapidly losing the ability to move. 

Ultimately today, we've got another draw - and as magical as the moment was, it's probably a draw that in the cold light of day puts an end to our hopes of reaching the playoffs. We should have had a penalty and they should have had a goal disallowed twice, but we haven't been unlucky, quite the opposite - we've robbed Sheffield of a win and their fans of their own table topping moment. If I had an ounce of decency, I'd apologise to Sheffield United.

We're a long way short of being a good Championship team and if we're to compete for the playoffs next season, we'll need to replace eight of this first eleven - given that half of them are retiring or on loan, we'll need to replace almost that many just to have a team, and before you start - there are no kids. There's no one ready to step in next weekend and make us better.

We're playing badly, we're badly organised, we have an ageing and disjointed squad and we're being propped up by loanees. We play two good sides next and I fear for us a little bit, and yet I know in five years time I'll have forgotten that and I'll still remember me and Andre, me and Glenn. It's a curious and magical game this thing of ours. 

I don't think dark times have ever been quite so much fun.

That’s the best post match report I’ve read anywhere and should be sent to Dean Smith so he can pin it up in the dressing room for for the next game against, ironically enough, Brentford.

Â