Apex Legends

PieFacE

Anyone given the new Apex Legends game a go? 

Made by Respawn, set in the Titanfall universe,  free to play AAA BR game. 

Much better than Blackout, Fortnite and PUBG. Can't wait for more AAA BR games. I've not played Overwatch but I think players of that would like this as I've heard it's similar. 

Here's Jack Frags giving more info on it.

• Like 1

This game is a ton of fun. I love the emphasis on team play and the emphasis on shorter matches in general. The match lengths in Apex if you're getting to the end each time are about 15-20 minutes long it's very pick up and play. The movement is sublime, the gun play is like Call of Duty when Call of Duty was good and the map design is varied, and very fluid to move around. If this game fails to gain traction long term it might be a sign of the genre itself losing traction as this game should succeed, it's that good. 

• Like 1

I'm **** sick of BR games. I'm yet to play one that's as fun and intuitive as The Culling.  

If you're  not particularly  good  (and  I'm not) the proportion of fun gameplay to dicking around waiting for games and running around doing **** all is grossly inadequate. This genre is shite.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm **** sick of BR games. I'm yet to play one that's as fun and intuitive as The Culling.  

If you're  not particularly  good  (and  I'm not) the proportion of fun gameplay to dicking around waiting for games and running around doing **** all is grossly inadequate. This genre is shite.

This game is forced 3-man squads so you can learn the game while potentially better players carry you.

Plus it's 20 teams of 3 on a smaller map so you're pretty much always fighting something. This is likely the best BR game since The Culling which was also pretty fast paced on a tiny map.

In the end it's free so all you have to lose is some space on your hard drive and an hour to see if it grabs you. Most matches are over in 15 minutes so you could get a fair few matches done in your first hour.  

This game is incredible. Best BR yet. Loving it. The respawn mechanic is a really cool addition. The ping system is so well thought out and every BR game will surely have that now. Makes it so easy to communicate without a mic. 

Edited by PieFacE

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm sick of people saying they are sick of BR games :P  We've only had a couple AAA ones. It's just getting started. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm sick of people saying they are sick of BR games :P  We've only had a couple AAA ones. It's just getting started. 

BR as a genre has been flooded by a lot of bad games trying to get that Fortnite money which has hurt the genre a lot. 

I'm just glad that based on the AAA BR games that the genre is heading in the right direction. I'm also liking that the AAA devs aren't afraid to experiment in their BR games. It'd have been so easy to just make a AAA PUBG but none of them have. 

I suppose Blackout is the closest to PUBG, but even then Blackout has areas with zombies and helicopters, and other things that no other BR has. Not one AAA dev has played it safe so far and I like it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

I'm going to give it a try. Looks quite good but I have 2 reservations: The TTK seems too long and as it is a team based game, I imagine it will descend into a pit of toxicity and throwers within a few months.

The toxicity issue is mitigated by the fact you don't need to talk as the game has a robust ping system. You can ping anything and the character will say it for you. Need ammo? Ping the ammo you need in your inventory and the character will say to the squad "I need more heavy ammo". Found a weapon someone might want? Ping the weapon and character will say "I found a Peacekeeper shotgun, Level 2" and the weapon will appear on the map, and will be highlighted in game. You can do this for everything its amazing. You can literally win matches with your random squad with your voice chat 100% muted. Whether people will start throwing games? I don't know. Right now the community is having way too much fun to tank a 15 - 20 minute match. A round in Apex is about as long as a round in Battlefield, but the former in my opinion is vastly more fun.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 23:49, Daweii said:

Me and my squad are still chasing that elusive win. We got to the final two several times tonight, but constantly got outplayed each time. 

Do you know of any websites that track how many wins you've had? Or a way to tell?

One thing I think this game is lacking is some kind of notification when you're in the final 2 or 3 squads alive to make the conclusion a bit more intense. Quite often I get into the final 2 squads and win the game without even realising it was the final showdown. 

My best triple kill yet, tend to ignore the therm grenade things but they're quite powerful.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/p1eface/video/69229693

• Like 1

That kill was great @PieFacE nicely done!

As far as websites that track wins or kills I don't know of any right now, though I am sure one will pop up soon enough. It took a little while for Fortnite to get a stat tracking website, so I assume the same will be true for Apex. 

I agree with you about the final circle thing. The game has announcements for all sorts like "first kill", "kill leader", but it doesn't have one for "final three teams remaining". Sometimes one of the heroes will mention it, though that seems to be infrequent at best.

• Like 1

Got my first win with my BF squad on my 10th - 15th attempt.  

It seems ok.  some things are clearly unbalanced (Peacekeeper and one LMG I can't remember the name of), and the netcode is pretty poor (20hz servers), but it's pretty solid system wise and the movement is nice and fluid. 

The characters have cool moves, but the gas bloke is OP, wallbang, early warning + your enemies get blurred vision and slow down?  Nah mate. :lol:  

I'm diggin the crow bloke. 

• Like 1

Have to say I haven't noticed an issue with netcode at all, but that could also be due to me being a bit thick haha. I'd say the only unbalanced weapons are that the snipers need a buff. Long range combat is pretty much pointless 'cos it's so easy to back away and reshield when it takes 4 or 5 shots to kill someone. R301 Carbine & Wingman  combo forever ❤️  

I hate playing as the gas dude, really struggle with his abilities with my play style. I like the smoke person. Tis should an easy way to push other squads and surprise them if you play with a n organised squad that can flank around the smoke, especially if one of your squadmates is the crow dude.

Managed to win 3 games on the bounce yesterday, this shit is getting quite easy now. 

There's still something a bit off about this game, and pretty much every BR game I've played since PUBG. None of them give you the same heart throbbing intense final showdown that PUBG gives you. It's going to be hard for any game to capture that feeling.

Edited by PieFacE

**** hell the netcode on this is awful! 

I'm still learning the game but last night I was 3 hit with purple sheild/purple helmet (kenneth) and full health from a dude using R301..

Won about 9 times in 30, maybe 40 games. 

If I get a drop and survive longer than 2 minutes then I'm probably going to be in the last 8 players. 

Â