Racism Part two

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I didn’t notice until it was pointed out on the Tuesday club podcasts. 

Strong, tall, black strikers = beasts.

Strong, tall, white strikers = units.

Funnily enough my mate calls Davis a beast of a unit, not sure how that sits after reading the above ? 

for balance, I always described Peter Withe as a beast also Shearer and a few others Regardless of skin colour. I suppose it’s all about the context

Edited by Follyfoot

8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I didn’t notice until it was pointed out on the Tuesday club podcasts. 

Strong, tall, black strikers = beasts.

Strong, tall, white strikers = units.

I always thought unit was just a nice way of saying fat word removed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've complained about this for years. It's obvious once you notice it.

Black players are always (not literally always, just more often) powerful, beasts, quick, pacey. White players more often described as cultured, intelligent, good technique etc.

Funnily enough now you mention it a recent example would be Adama Traore, they bang on about him like that continuously 

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've complained about this for years. It's obvious once you notice it.

Black players are always (not literally always, just more often) powerful, beasts, quick, pacey. White players more often described as cultured, intelligent, good technique etc.

I always point to this Key and Peele sketch because it's so accurate, and to be honest I see it more with football (soccer) than American sports

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thinking about examples of this, and one example we're familiar with was Benteke. The way commentators went on about him you would think he was some limited targetman Kenwyne Jones or Duncan Ferguson or something and not the most talented striker we had at the club since Yorke probably. He had outstanding physical qualities for sure, but he was so much more than that. It's kind of like how Peter Crouch always jokes about people saying "he's got good feet for a big man". He's got good feet period!

• Like 2

An editor has revealed more than 1,500 readers have been banned from her news website’s Facebook page over “hateful and outright racist” comments.

Jenna Thompson, digital editor at Hull Live, has called for readers’ help to tackle online abuse after taking action following coverage of recent Black Lives Matter protests.

Jenna, pictured, has pledged to report such comments to the police and publish the names of “proven offenders” online and in sister daily the Hull Daily Mail in a bid to combat the problem.

A number of other editors across the industry have also pledged to take similar action in recent weeks.

In an editorial, Jenna wrote: “On the day the first Black Lives Matter demonstration was held in Queen Victoria Square, we were proud of how people in the city came together to stand up against injustice.

“Pictures of people in Hull clearly standing two metres apart while peacefully protesting spread across the world.

“At the same time, we saw an increase in hateful and outright racist comments on our Facebook page. We deleted hundreds of comments from our live stream on Facebook and subsequent stories we posted. More than 100 people were banned from the page (over 1,400 had been banned already).

“This happened again the following week. More than 1,000 comments were deleted and another 100 people banned.

“At the end of that day, we took the unusual step of deleting all posts about Black Lives Matter from our Facebook page because there would be eight hours where someone would not be able to check them (11pm to 7am) and we felt it was too risky.”

Jenna said the action had led to Hull Live being criticised for “censoring” readers and “taking away their right to free speech,” but she added: “Free speech does not include hate speech. And it doesn’t include the right to abuse or harass people.

“Unfortunately, Facebook doesn’t allow pages like ours to turn off comments – a simple solution which would eradicate the issue,” she said.

“We don’t want to not be able to post news on our Facebook page. That would mean that loud minority we mentioned would spoil things for the majority of people who read our stories and either write constructive comments or never comment at all.

“And this is why we need your help. We will check the comments as much as we possibly can, but we also know it’s not possible to catch them all. If you do see a comment on our Facebook page which is offensive or is hate speech, please message us. We will take action.

“We are not expecting miracles – we know there are people out there intending to upset and offend others, no matter what. But with your support, we can make our corner of the internet a better place.”

Earlier this year Jenna spoke out on online abuse and bullying, saying it had made journalists she works with “reluctant” to look at social media.

Hull. 'Nuff said.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Grandstanding at its best

I've had dealings with the Live platform, it's the old Trinity Mirror Group.

A year or so back, a particular story on our company had libelous comments made about a member of our staff in the comments section.

I wrote an email to the Digital Editor (who was in Uni with me as it happens but she doesn't realise that), who was on holiday but forwarded the email to the relevant stand in and within half an hour of that, not just the libelous comment but the whole comments section on the story was shut down. They also don't always have comments sections on stories they know will be trouble

If 1000's of racist comments were made it's because they allowed them to be made. It's very easy to shut their comments section down and can be done at the drop of a hat

Methinks they allowed it to happen so they could grandstand, either that or expect the Hull Digital Editor to be sacked very shortly (I'm not expecting that to happen)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Grandstanding at its best

I've had dealings with the Live platform, it's the old Trinity Mirror Group.

A year or so back, a particular story on our company had libelous comments made about a member of our staff in the comments section.

I wrote an email to the Digital Editor (who was in Uni with me as it happens but she doesn't realise that), who was on holiday but forwarded the email to the relevant stand in and within half an hour of that, not just the libelous comment but the whole comments section on the story was shut down. They also don't always have comments sections on stories they know will be trouble

If 1000's of racist comments were made it's because they allowed them to be made. It's very easy to shut their comments section down and can be done at the drop of a hat

Methinks they allowed it to happen so they could grandstand, either that or expect the Hull Digital Editor to be sacked very shortly (I'm not expecting that to happen)

Birmingham Live is is another one. Very few of their stories now allow for comments, unless it something innocuous like a rescued cat. 

They've had their hands burned in the past with comments on crime descending very quickly into race baiting and threats! 

Here's a thought....

If a Premier player had decided he simply did not believe in the political objectives of BLM and had refused to wear that shirt with the BLM motif would he...

Be sacked by his club

Attacked in the street by people who felt insulted by his stance

or

allowed freedom of choice...

'Regards'

VLD.

26 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Here's a thought....

If a Premier player had decided he simply did not believe in the political objectives of BLM and had refused to wear that shirt with the BLM motif would he...

Be sacked by his club

Attacked in the street by people who felt insulted by his stance

or

allowed freedom of choice...

'Regards'

VLD.

Do you think they’re allowed the freedom of choice not to advertise loan companies or betting shops?

yours faithfully

STD

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Do you think they’re allowed the freedom of choice not to advertise loan companies or betting shops?

yours faithfully

STD

You are right of course..

11 minutes ago, choffer said:

That back nine must've taken ages.

Yes , lost as well.......

As ' American Politics 'site has closed I hope the moderators allow me to make an apology....

After my  round my gloating partner, asked to see my texts that I had hurriedly tapped out in between holes. He read them all and chuckled here and there. You are mostly right he said, but the anology re 'white power/ black power was crass'. revisiting that comment was painfull. It was crass and not at all what I meant to say. So sorry guys.

Regards,

VLD.

Just now, Graham t said:

You are right of course..

Yes , lost as well.......

As ' American Politics 'site has closed I hope the moderators allow me to make an apology....

After my  round my gloating partner, asked to see my texts that I had hurriedly tapped out in between holes. He read them all and chuckled here and there. You are mostly right he said, but the anology re 'white power/ black power was crass'. revisiting that comment was painfull. It was crass and not at all what I meant to say. So sorry guys.

Regards,

VLD.

Fair play for holding your hands up on that one. What about the claptrap about leading black sportsmen and actors “stating that BLM was a crock of s**t”?

Â