Racism Part two

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

@PaulC @coda can you show me where its a BLM street party. I have checked a few reputable sources and no mention of this. I am reading it was just an illegal street party. 

music-windrush.jpg?w=750

Here you go. BLM is a nebulous group so maybe a distinction needs to be made between the organisation and the phrase. I support the latter.

• Like 1

Buzz

There’s a Black Lives Matter live music protest taking place in Brixton’s Windrush Square today, Weds 24th June 2020, with the bands kicking off at 1pm.

It was in Brixton Buzz, organised event 1pm to 7pm

Now it has context.

Cheers. That party was at Windrush Square 1 pm till 7pm. The other one where the trouble was is at Overton Road some distance away at 11pm. 
Might be the same one, might be different. Might be nothing to do with racism. 

Edited by Seat68

13 minutes ago, coda said:

Here you go. BLM is a nebulous group so maybe a distinction needs to be made between the organisation and the phrase. I support the latter.

that's my issue with it now

until about 2 weeks ago I didn't even know BLM was a group let alone what their nutty opinions are

that's why when players take a knee in the PL I cant abide comments on social media like "how can the PL support Marxists who want to end policing" all that does it show the poster has bought in to the massive deflection from the real issue, its almost like they couldn't use the piss on the flag excuse here so cooked up something else

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You have added information and context.

Previously, we were told this is a video with black people in it, so I posted it in the racism thread.

Then pondering why others aren’t talking about it is a thinly veiled way of accusing people of bias.

It’s not the job of others to scour the internet and post everything up. If someone has seen something of interest they can post it and debate it. Not use it to accuse others, it’s a bit crappy.

This very subtle, unconsciously biased racism is some of the hardest to combat.

Because it's not-intentional, and people don't understand how it's racist.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

you have summed up exactly what is wrong with this thread. There is no room for debate! 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

you have summed up exactly what is wrong with this thread. There is no room for debate! 

There's 117 odd pages of debate. Raise a viewpoint, explain why you hold it, or ask a question about what you'd like to understand, or raise a comment made by someone on the news or in the media. People are very open (well most are) to discussing and exchanging views.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Before that there's the ego barrier to breach which is a tough nut to crack in itself. Nobody want to believe they're racist. This is probably exacerbated by the fact racism is seen as a character flaw and not just ignorance which it often is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

So NASCAR just posted the picture of the alleged noose and later-ruled garage pull and uh...that kinda looks like a noose

Yes, but it was there previous time the racetrack was used and the garage was used by a completely different (white) driver. See phot up thread of it

I will try an post in here but it usually goes wrong.

Hopefully the BLM and general move towards a better environment for everyone gets traction and starts to change things in the institutions and workplaces,  If that happened it would be great but it needs an equal movement from society in general to make it last an continue forever. 

The gist is this,  imagine a totally non raciest and approachable Police force in London or Atlanta or wherever.  There is an estate or project where the crime rate is through the roof,  robberies and drugs and all that.

Something happens (Murder or something big).

The Police are no better off than they are now in terms of being able to help clean up the estate.  Everyone knows who did it & no one will tell the police. 

They have to do stop and search and kick doors off (Piss off the no criminal people).  Back to square one and so we start all over again.

The fact that people wont talk to the police to help clean up the estate and lift it out of crime is odd.  Surely helping the police make the neighbourhood better for kids to grow up in is vital but it seems not.

Everyone on estates know who does the crime but would rather the crime and the damage it does to their community than help the police.  It seems people like crack dealers and heroin dealers but not help when it is offered and then moan the estate is rubbish and the police / council do nothing.  (At mods delete if required)

59 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I will try an post in here but it usually goes wrong.

Hopefully the BLM and general move towards a better environment for everyone gets traction and starts to change things in the institutions and workplaces,  If that happened it would be great but it needs an equal movement from society in general to make it last an continue forever. 

The gist is this,  imagine a totally non raciest and approachable Police force in London or Atlanta or wherever.  There is an estate or project where the crime rate is through the roof,  robberies and drugs and all that.

Something happens (Murder or something big).

The Police are no better off than they are now in terms of being able to help clean up the estate.  Everyone knows who did it & no one will tell the police. 

They have to do stop and search and kick doors off (Piss off the no criminal people).  Back to square one and so we start all over again.

The fact that people wont talk to the police to help clean up the estate and lift it out of crime is odd.  Surely helping the police make the neighbourhood better for kids to grow up in is vital but it seems not.

Everyone on estates know who does the crime but would rather the crime and the damage it does to their community than help the police.  It seems people like crack dealers and heroin dealers but not help when it is offered and then moan the estate is rubbish and the police / council do nothing.  (At mods delete if required)

So, for what it’s worth, here’s my take on this.

There are a few issues at play here. If we did manage to ‘solve’ racism and have a racist free system and a racist free police force and all the people knew and accepted there were no racist issues, that would be great.

But that wouldn’t solve poverty and criminality. So there would still be estates where your only opportunity feels like earning money through illegality, regardless of your colour. People on that estate don’t have the parental support to get the education to get the aspiration and the world view to do well in the current system. The problems of unemployment or poor prospects or poor health could all still exist.

Then, even the best funded police force will visit that estate to keep the peace or investigate a crime or whatever, but they won’t stay there. We wouldn’t want a police watch post on the junction of every street. So there comes a point when the police leave, and the crimes are still there. That makes it very difficult to speak out. Not impossible, but it takes a special person to stand up in those circumstances.

So there’s a whole bunch of things to be solved there. The racism, the poverty and the life chances and life skills of whoever is on the bottom rungs, regardless of colour.

Short version, it’s two different issues, there are problem streets and problem estates and slum gangs where racism is not a key factor.

• Thanks 1

Surely the best way to do a concert or a event is to have black people and WHITE people. Standing side by side showing solidity thats the goal isnt it? People treated equally no matter where they come or look like

I believe what happened the other night is to do with race. It’s an attack on our police force which they think is fundamentally racist. The bbc and the rest of the media are turning a blind eye to it all. The metropolitan police have lost control of the streets and are just running away. 

This in no way is helping racial equality. We have gone backwards 40 years IMO. There’s more racial tension now than when the handswortj riots happened and I had to flee my home on the birchfield road to keep my wife and baby safe 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Â