Racism Part two

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Well no because the statement was that we are a predominantly White Christian country. A sigificant proportion of the practising Christians are BAME for starters

Come on then, show us your workings, I used ONS.

I’d still say we are predominantly white and we are predominantly Christian.

I’d be surprised if there was a larger grouping. 

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Looking at this wikipedia page, I think it works out to be about 52% 'White British Christian'.

In the 2011 census, the White British population was 51,736,290, 81.9% of the UK total population

Statistically, White British are more likely to be Christian than other ethnic-based classifications. According to the 2011 UK Census, White British are 64% Christian in England and Wales, mostly Anglican in England, while the percentage for all groups is about 59%. The percentage of White British who are Christians is lower in Scotland, at 55% (mainly Presbyterian there), whereas at least 54% of all Scots are Christian. The British country with the highest percentage is Northern Ireland, where white people are 94% Christian, while 93% of all usual residents are.

Edit: I perhaps ought to have said worked out in 2011. If we go on our earlier posts, we both expect it to be lower next time round so I'd be very surprised if a majority were white British Christians in 2021.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

British Social Attitudes Survey 2019

Levels of religiosity have declined over the past three decades and are likely to decline further, mainly as a result of generational replacement.

One in three (31%) in 1983 did not belong to a religion, compared with one in two (50%) now. The largest decline has been in affiliation with the Church of England, which has halved since 1983 (from 40% to 20%).

This change – which is likely to continue – can be explained by generational replacement, with older, more religious, generations dying out and being replaced by less religious generations. There is little evidence that substantial numbers find religion as they get older.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not sure a survey of 3,000 beats the national census number crunched by the ONS.

The ONS have included all valid surveys of sufficient size in their figures.

Census survey question is extremely flawed and is now 9 yeas out of date. The way the question is asked is particularly relevant. You are just asked to name a religion you identify with in the Census. The BAS straight up asks you if you believe in God on when you answer in the positive do you get  choice of religions to identify with. The BAS is also a highly regarded accademic survey conducted every year by Britins Largest Independent Social Research Agency. Their data is used by the government

• Like 1

Nah, the first box, literally the top one was ‘no religion’.

If people of no religion are so thick or threatened that they have managed to miss that and tick something else that’s not a demographic you really want to lay claim to.

There was even ‘other’ if you wanted to go Jedhi. 

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Nah, the first box, literally the top one was ‘no religion’.

Yes, I understand, it's still extremely flawed methodology. We'll only have to wait until next year (or the year after for the data probably) for possibly the last ever census.

Regardless of what the census says, I don't buy that anything like a majority of the British public are genuinely Christian. A majority still probably claim to be so, they're kind of "social" Christians. They like Christmas and Easter, but never go to church other than funerals and weddings.

Ask them if they think an omnipotent being created the world in 6 days then had a rest, and see what reaction you get. Ask if the think not only did Jesus really exist, but he literally turned water in to wine then was resurrected. People who are genuinely religious are an extreme minority IMO. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you want to read some horrible - and horribly predictable - Twitter comments then I dare you to look under the hood of this one:

Labour went with Michael Jackson or a woman as the father. 

Comments are scathing as well. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Well no because the statement was that we are a predominantly White Christian country. A sigificant proportion of the practising Christians are BAME for starters

We are predominantly a white Christian country, again show me evidence as asked for before that we are not

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

We are predominantly a white Christian country, again show me evidence as asked for before that we are not

Do you have any evidence to support your claim? 

59 minutes ago, limpid said:

Do you have any evidence to support your claim? 

Only what has been quoted from the last census at 64% which is the only barometer that can be really used . The nearest other religious group are Jews at 0.5%

Edited by Follyfoot

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Only what has been quoted from the last census at 64% which is the only barometer that can be really used . The nearest other religious group are Jews at 0.5%

Absolutely nothing in this sentence is true

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

The white bit no, the Christian bit, yes

Still, does it really matter? I think as @KenjiOgiwara says, its only when its depriving money from other erstwhile causes or propagates mistreatment/violence against others, thats when religion becomes an issue. Couldn't care less otherwise. Going off topic though :)  

Â