Racism Part two

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The international broadcast rights have recently changed, meaning it's been removed from YouTube. And is still available to watch everywhere that has the right to show it.

Keep those culture war fires burning though. 

Nothing like a good ole fact to stifle a right wing rant 

I'm guessing his mate who works at channel 4 told him that it was removed for racial reasons. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The international broadcast rights have recently changed, meaning it's been removed from YouTube. And is still available to watch everywhere that has the right to show it.

I’m glad to hear it. Do you think pulling shows from Little Britain to Fawlty Towers is a calm, measured response to a guy being murdered by police 4000 miles away?

How far does it need to go before people pause and say, “well, I’m against slavery and murder but I can’t support cancelling Poirot”? 

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I must have missed the bit where 'the left' or Black Lives Matter took over UKTV or Netflix or whatever private company it is this time, but any port in a storm I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Why are so many people on here obsessed with left wing and right wing, The extremists on both sides are the problem, ignorance of this matter really does not help

I think it is too easy to jump to left and right and use them against people.

According to something the Welsh First Minister (Labour) has said this month, I am inherently right wing. 

I’m actually a very reasonable middle of the road, so those labels can get a bit silly.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's not a response to that though, is it?

George Floyd's murder might have been the butterfly flapping its wings in this particular situation, but those shows haven't been pulled as a response to his death.

Indirectly they have. A small number of far-left activists and outright race grifters have been given licence to act like animals because of it. The BBC and the rest of the wokerati have gleefully jumped on board in a frenzy of censorship. 

Anyone offended by John Cleese parody of British neurosis about WW2 can just do one. It’s pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think it is too easy to jump to left and right and use them against people.

According to something the Welsh First Minister (Labour) has said this month, I am inherently right wing. 

I’m actually a very reasonable middle of the road, so those labels can get a bit silly.

I’m not sure where this puts me on the political spectrum but if I can’t get to my caravan In Devils bridge before the end of autumn there’s going to be hell to pay regardless of race

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

A small number of far-left activists and outright race grifters have been given licence to act like animals because of it.

Who are the 'race grifters' and how are they acting like animals?

The BBC and the rest of the wokerati have gleefully jumped on board in a frenzy of censorship. 

Lol.

Anyone offended by John Cleese parody of British neurosis about WW2 can just do one. It’s pathetic. 

Because one episode that contained numerous racial slurs was taken down? I know it was said as a joke and acceptable but at the time but I find this level of anger baffling.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

Indirectly they have.

Indirectly being the operative word. If your post I replied to said this...

23 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’m glad to hear it. Do you think pulling shows from Little Britain to Fawlty Towers is a calm, measured response to the increased awareness of racism and racial stereotyping brought about buy the BLM protests that have occurred around the world triggered by George Floyd's death?

which in my opinion is a more accurate representation of what has happened, then my answer would probably be yes to be quite honest (although I'd caveat it with a few things...)

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

A small number of far-left activists and outright race grifters have been given licence to act like animals because of it. The BBC and the rest of the wokerati have gleefully jumped on board in a frenzy of censorship. 

I've deliberately ignored this part of your post...

Edited by Stevo985

People who say shit like 'times have changed' as if that means everything should stay. Well yeah, of course times have changed. No one is having a go at John Cleese though, are they? 

What is happening is stuff that would not be published if it was made now being taken down. Christ, I can't remember the amount of times my grandma has said "we used to do/say x" but I wouldn't dream of it now.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Indirectly being the operative word. If your post I replied to said this...

which in my opinion is a more accurate representation of what has happened, then my answer would probably be yes to be quite honest (although I'd caveat it with a few things...)

I've deliberately ignored this part of your post as it's genuinely pathetic, and you do yourself a disservice by posting it imho as your usually an extremely eloquent poster despite me disagreeing with a lot of your posts.

Fair to say we disagree about this on such a basic level there’s nothing to be gained by going back and forth. I think everyone, whatever their background, deserves a fair shot. The real determinant of that isn’t the colour of their skin, it’s the content of their parents’ wallet. 

You’re buying what BLM Is selling, I’m not. Ciao for now. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’m glad to hear it. Do you think pulling shows from Little Britain to Fawlty Towers is a calm, measured response to a guy being murdered by police 4000 miles away?

In the (possibly naive) assumption you're asking in good faith and not just trying to square up for a fight, I'm not all that stressed about it either way. 

Is it a Taliban-style cultural aberration that an episode of Fawlty Towers is taken down for a couple of days while a 15 second bit, mocking Major Gowen's racism while he talks about the difference between n*****s and w**s is removed? Not really.

Would I really be that bothered if that change didn't happen and I, or my young children saw it in the original form? Not in the least.

There's enough real stuff going on to not bother digging a trench over this. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

That's exactly the point though. Talk about this and the real issues don't have to be tackled, exactly as @HanoiVillan stated a few posts ago.

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

The real determinant of that isn’t the colour of their skin, it’s the content of their parents’ wallet. 

This is basically 'all lives matter' without saying it outright.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

In the (possibly naive) assumption you're asking in good faith and not just trying to square up for a fight, I'm not all that stressed about it either way. 

Is it a Taliban-style cultural aberration that an episode of Fawlty Towers is taken down for a couple of days while a 15 second bit, mocking Major Gowen's racism while he talks about the difference between n*****s and w**s is removed? Not really.

Would I really be that bothered if that change didn't happen and I, or my young children saw it in the original form? Not in the least.

Not naive, I know we’re not on the same page most of the time but I don’t start from a position of bad faith - not with you at any rate.

I see this as part of something much bigger than 15 seconds of whatever, but as part of an attempt to delegitimatise anything and everything of which the present moment disapproves. Philosophically I see that as profoundly misguided and dangerous.

And, truth be told, l’m still boiling inside at seeing that cretin trying to set fire to the union flag on the Cenotaph last weekend. Not enough to still resist getting involved, but angry beyond words. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

Fair to say we disagree about this on such a basic level there’s nothing to be gained by going back and forth. I think everyone, whatever their background, deserves a fair shot.

Well we don’t disagree on that, that’s for sure. 

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

The real determinant of that isn’t the colour of their skin, it’s the content of their parents’ wallet. 

Not really sure what you’re getting at here. 

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

You’re buying what BLM Is selling, I’m not. Ciao for now. 

This is a really condescending way to say “agree to disagree”. But I’ll go with it. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Not really sure what you’re getting at here. 

Really? Your life chances in this country are based on money, not ethnicity. I don’t know how to saying any clearer than that. 

• Like 1

Â