Tom Carroll

Farlz

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yeah, right enough come to think of it. I recall now reading something that DS was tracking Carroll most of the month.

In Carroll's official AV interview they asked him about the transfer, Carroll said he knew about the possibility of a transfer for 3 to 4 weeks, so we were definitely looking at him right fromn the start of the window.

Considering Fer fell through no more than an hour or so before the close of the window, I can't imagine there was any chance we weren't already finalising Carroll also at the same time, no way could Carroll have had his medical and gone through all the contractual stuff in time if it wasn't already being worked on alongside the fer deal.

I might be wrong, but I get the impression we were going for both Fer and Carroll, but only Carroll came off.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yes,

I think we went for Fer originally and when that didn't materialise it was Carroll that was signed.

Hopefully he has a good spell with us.

I think we were on for Carroll but somebody leaked we were after a Swansea midfielder and our previous transfer policy was to chase a player who played good vs us so 2+2 was put together

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think good teams in this league dont need a limited midfielder. Should have enough to do damage with the ball but a bonus if can put foot in

The assumption here is that a physical, defensive-minded midfielder is also "limited" - fair enough, in our current squad, it's true. Surely we're a big enough club to attract a midfielder who can do both? It's not like we haven't had players like this in the recent past - Delph, Milner, Petrov, Barry, Townsend, etc. could all mix it as well as being good technically. I know Premier League clubs stockpile players like this, but it must be possible to find someone willing to do a season in the Championship.

Look at the last few clubs to win the Championship - they've all had one combative midfielder who plays most matches, and who isn't unusually gifted on the ball (possible exception of Shelvey, who can be unbelievable on his day):

• 2015/16 Barton (Burnley)
  • 2016/17 Shelvey (Newcastle)
  • 2017/18 Saiss (Wolves)
  • 2018/19* Tettey (Norwich), Philips (Leeds)

I think these players are critical to winning titles. At one point it looked like Hourihane would be this player (more at Barnsley than at Villa), but I just don't think he's tenacious enough, much as I like other aspects of his game.

So getting back to Carroll - I liked him when he was breaking through at Spurs, and I'm willing to give him a chance. But he'll do a lot better if he has the freedom to play his natural game. A good DM would give him that freedom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

and Dennis Mortimer and Gareth Barry and Steve McMahon and Alex Cropley and Andy Towsend and Kevin Richardson and Ray Houghton and Garry Parker.

No They are there Dave,(not saying they was as good mind) they always have been and always will be....we just have to get them.

TRO - every time you bring that Cropley bloke up - you set me off on one - what a player 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 07:39, DaveAV1 said:

I would imagine that’s the long term plan. We were trying to sign Fer but he failed his medical. Hourihane won’t be alongside Carroll next season. 

Because Carroll is on loan?

On 03/02/2019 at 15:17, Spoony said:

I don’t get this weird obsession with Fer. Average player on probably quite high wages. Haven’t we had enough of those???

The way some go on about him here you'd think he's a cross between Edgar Davids and Ronald Koeman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/02/2019 at 16:17, Spoony said:

I don’t get this weird obsession with Fer. Average player on probably quite high wages. Haven’t we had enough of those???

29 and on £30k/w at Swansea.

Yeah, might have been nice on loan for the rest of the season.

Anything else than that? Nah.

Contract length and salaries would likely been wrong and as you say, we've been down that route far too many times.

as for Carroll, I'd imagine he's been loaned in to "keep us ticking over" 

8 hours ago, Dave J said:

TRO - every time you bring that Cropley bloke up - you set me off on one - what a player 👍🏻

One of my all time favourites Dave.....Andy Gray introduced me to him. I was in awe, Andy was getting ****ed off that I was not so nervous around him and so normal in his company according to him,we was  just having banter with each other, it was funny at the time....I first met Crops in the Bulls Head (Hall Green)....just for useless information.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

One of my all time favourites Dave.....Andy Gray introduced me to him. I was in awe, Andy was getting ****ed off that I was not so nervous around him and so normal in his company according to him,we was  just having banter with each other, it was funny at the time....I first met Crops in the Bulls Head (Hall Green)....just for useless information.

Your a lucky man TRO to have such wonderful memories - Alex Alex Cropperrleey ! I can still hear the chant now.

Courage of a lion this man 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Your a lucky man TRO to have such wonderful memories - Alex Alex Cropperrleey ! I can still hear the chant now.

got to be careful of going off Topic....I was close to Andy for about 2 years....He introduced me to some icons, Sir Matt Busby being one...I could write a book.

Have to be careful of not appearing to be ITK....because I am not now.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, Dave J said:

He's a taxi driver in Glasgow now and not in good health! Very sad. My mate is good mate's with his son Ross

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The way some go on about him here you'd think he's a cross between Edgar Davids and Ronald Koeman. 

Exactly. Never heard his name popping up in media speculation during the summer about players Swansea would lose after being relegated. I heard mawson mentioned, lots, and subsequently left. Never heard fer being linked with anyone. I dunno , think it's a case of " oooh look, he's Dutch that guy, he's really good " 

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's the curse of the football casual. They see them play once, they have a stormer in that ONE game so he is the second coming of Christ.

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

He's a taxi driver in Glasgow now and not in good health! Very sad. My mate is good mate's with his son Ross

That is very sad. I met Alex Cropley in his own pub in Edinburgh, I think it was 1986. There was a Scotland shirt, Arsenal shirt and of course a Villa shirt all framed and hanging on the wall. It was late morning and the pub wasn’t busy so we must have chatted for a good half an hour or so. His Mom came through and brought us both a cup of tea, she was lovely as was Alex. He said he was still good mates with Andy Gray and they kept in touch. 

I don’t think he was a natural landlord and so if he’s now cab driving I guess the pub didn’t work out. It’s a real tragedy that a player as good as Alex Cropley didn’t make enough to set himself up. He’d walk into our midfield and indeed most midfields in the PL. He was born too early I guess. Players now who couldn’t lace his boots play half a season in the PL and are instant millionaires. Madness. I doubt he’d remember our chat all those years ago, but it was great for me and wonderful to meet one of your heroes and not be disappointed. He’s a great fella. I hope his health improves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

sad to hear of his health.

Now there was a man who "scheme" and tackle.....What i would give for one of them.

Hoping Tommy Carroll can?

Edited by TRO

16 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The assumption here is that a physical, defensive-minded midfielder is also "limited" - fair enough, in our current squad, it's true. Surely we're a big enough club to attract a midfielder who can do both? It's not like we haven't had players like this in the recent past - Delph, Milner, Petrov, Barry, Townsend, etc. could all mix it as well as being good technically. I know Premier League clubs stockpile players like this, but it must be possible to find someone willing to do a season in the Championship.

Look at the last few clubs to win the Championship - they've all had one combative midfielder who plays most matches, and who isn't unusually gifted on the ball (possible exception of Shelvey, who can be unbelievable on his day):

• 2015/16 Barton (Burnley)
  • 2016/17 Shelvey (Newcastle)
  • 2017/18 Saiss (Wolves)
  • 2018/19* Tettey (Norwich), Philips (Leeds)

I think these players are critical to winning titles. At one point it looked like Hourihane would be this player (more at Barnsley than at Villa), but I just don't think he's tenacious enough, much as I like other aspects of his game.

So getting back to Carroll - I liked him when he was breaking through at Spurs, and I'm willing to give him a chance. But he'll do a lot better if he has the freedom to play his natural game. A good DM would give him that freedom.

A very good post and one I endorse.

The tragedy for me....Is the stone blind obviousness of it.....why successive managers have not dealt with it adequately and as a priority is beyond me....they have just fannied about with the position IMV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

A very good post and one I endorse.

The tragedy for me....Is the stone blind obviousness of it.....why successive managers have not dealt with it adequately and as a priority is beyond me....they have just fannied about with the position IMV.

Your assumption is that the coaching/recruitment staff can’t see it. The truth may be just the opposite, but the right one wasn’t available in the last window. Successive previous regimes to this of course have no such excuse. Let’s see what happens in the summer. 

• Like 1

Â