• Adomah
    • Abraham
    • Kodjia (Adomah 74)
    • Carroll (Whelan 74)
    • Jedinak (McGinn 89)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/02/19 at 23:59

3 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I think in some ways Smith us a victim of his own success. Had we not performed so well at the start of his reign I don't think there would be so much negativity towards an average display away at Reading. 

Really? I think there'd be a lot more negativity, and even hostility if we hadn't had that great few games, and instead turned in more of the recent performances. 

I think there'd be calls for his head already. The promise of what could be has earned him a lot more patience than he'd get if we'd played shit since he took over. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Disappointing result. Reading out a decent first 11 out imo so don’t agree that they are “the worst team in the division” or that we’ve faced etc etc.

MOTM Elphick for me closely followed by Mings. There were some positives, the defence looked much more solid, Hutton was his usual committed best and despite some naysayers on here Taylor didn’t play that badly and isn’t half as bad as he’s sometime made out to be. Elphick was more assertive in his play and a couple of good sliding challenges caught the eye and Mings looks a class act. If this is the start of a solid settled defensive line up then today is a good first step. Thought Kalinic looked better today and his kicking was mostly accurate.

The main problem for me, and a constant theme with the current midfield three, is how easily we concede control of the middle of the park in games. The first half today was a prime example. McGinn bless him (and he was great again today) goes off chasing the ball meanwhile hourinahe and whelan are dropping off way too deep behind and then standing off players when they have the ball. In general the lack of athelitism and physicality of the midfield causes me massive concern. Hourinahe just coasts for me, choosing the easy option time and again with or without possession. Whelan’s legs have gone, so whilst it’s clear he wants to get close to people and put a foot in, so simply can’t get there so is forced to jockey. Really don’t think Carroll is the answer either, on first view, albeit a brief sub appearance, he looks so slight and weak. Hope he picks up.

second half we stepped onto them more, pressing together and upped the tempo, it was better and we definitely shaded the half but still no real chances creates expect Tammys header.

for me there’s definitely goals in this team so if we can continue the theme of being more solid and resolute, whilst also creating and scoring chances then the playoffs are still very much in reach. A win vs sheff Utd is a must now 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I think in some ways Smith us a victim of his own success. Had we not performed so well at the start of his reign I don't think there would be so much negativity towards an average display away at Reading.

Had he not performed so well at the start of his reign i think we would be looking for a new manager around about now.

Some tough games this month & honestly can't see us winning any of them at the moment

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, southcoastvillan said:

Disappointing result. Reading out a decent first 11 out imo so don’t agree that they are “the worst team in the division” or that we’ve faced etc etc.

MOTM Elphick for me closely followed by Mings. There were some positives, the defence looked much more solid, Hutton was his usual committed best and despite some naysayers on here Taylor didn’t play that badly and isn’t half as bad as he’s sometime made out to be. Elphick was more assertive in his play and a couple of good sliding challenges caught the eye and Mings looks a class act. If this is the start of a solid settled defensive line up then today is a good first step. Thought Kalinic looked better today and his kicking was mostly accurate.

The main problem for me, and a constant theme with the current midfield three, is how easily we concede control of the middle of the park in games. The first half today was a prime example. McGinn bless him (and he was great again today) goes off chasing the ball meanwhile hourinahe and whelan are dropping off way too deep behind and then standing off players when they have the ball. In general the lack of athelitism and physicality of the midfield causes me massive concern. Hourinahe just coasts for me, choosing the easy option time and again with or without possession. Whelan’s legs have gone, so whilst it’s clear he wants to get close to people and put a foot in, so simply can’t get there so is forced to jockey. Really don’t think Carroll is the answer either, on first view, albeit a brief sub appearance, he looks so slight and weak. Hope he picks up.

second half we stepped onto them more, pressing together and upped the tempo, it was better and we definitely shaded the half but still no real chances creates expect Tammys header.

for me there’s definitely goals in this team so if we can continue the theme of being more solid and resolute, whilst also creating and scoring chances then the playoffs are still very much in reach. A win vs sheff Utd is a must now 

I see many of the things you do....The midfield is not right and the wingers passive as opposed to aggressive.

as for carroll, when you see that, it don't usually change, it was a weird signing for me....glad its just a loan.

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Really? I think there'd be a lot more negativity, and even hostility if we hadn't had that great few games, and instead turned in more of the recent performances. 

I think there'd be calls for his head already. The promise of what could be has earned him a lot more patience than he'd get if we'd played shit since he took over. 

It's weird that you can see it both ways, but I think you can. At least I can see where PompeyVillan is coming from. Just like I believe you're right too.

Yet another chance to creep closer to the top wasted. Excuses and clean sheet mean nothing without the points.

While half the teams above us are dropping points, we are not taking any kind of advantage of this.

Instead we are looking worse. Terrible result, one of several over the last 6 weeks.

I get the frustration by some when it’s argued but there are some over reactions on here that are unjustified just for point scoring.

Thought Mings, Elphick and Taylor played very well. If the header goes in for Elphick that is a very efficient  workman like performance, unfortunately not to be on this occasion.

I don’t want another season in the Championship and still think we can make the play offs and for me Dean Smith is the man to take us forward, promotion or not this season.

UTV

• Like 1

14 hours ago, southcoastvillan said:

Hourihane just coasts for me, choosing the easy option time and again with or without possession.

Been saying this all season. He is a HUGE liability and a HUGE weakness in our side. Replacing him alone would massively improve us in all areas of the field. A very horribly average player and Smith needs to get rid of him asap ...... along with Adomah !!! 

Edited by Paul33

On 04/02/2019 at 22:22, The Fun Factory said:

Personally I thought getting a clean sheet is a big bonus. Shame we couldn't get a goal. We now need to look at this as a 18 month project as there is zero chance of promotion this year. But we all knew that since about Christmas time.

I don't think there is "zero chance of promotion this year". We are four points off the playoff places and Jack and Axel will be back soon. Keep the faith :)

Edited by Ouchmefoot

• 2 months later...
Â