Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

On 15/06/2019 at 12:40, MaVilla said:

this is actually the most i have managed to find on him so far, 5 minutes of effective play.

looks pretty decent, but some of those slide tackles he likes might get him in trouble in the Prem, either by foul or losing his man while hes on his ass, might need to learn to stand up a bit more.

Just want to give this a boost as I'm really looking forward to this lad playing for the Villa. 

We've been raving about the Wesley and potential Mings signing etc but this is/was our first summer signing really and I think we may have unearthed a little gem here. 

He does go to ground quite a lot in that video but, at least he tackles! He gets stuck in, looks quite pacy, has some good footwork and can certainly play some great long-range passes - with both feet! 

As excited as I am by any new signing - I can't help but feel this guy wasn't signed with 'Premier League quality' in mind.  We did the deal for him in Jan, at which point we were around 10th (?) in the Championship.. highly doubtful we were even contemplating being a Premier League team at this point back then.

Whilst I'm sure they're not going to sign players they didn't think could be good enough, I have my reservations about him being thrown in the deep end.  Hopefully he surprises me and is more than ready though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

As excited as I am by any new signing - I can't help but feel this guy wasn't signed with 'Premier League quality' in mind.  We did the deal for him in Jan, at which point we were around 10th (?) in the Championship.. highly doubtful we were even contemplating being a Premier League team at this point back then.

Whilst I'm sure they're not going to sign players they didn't think could be good enough, I have my reservations about him being thrown in the deep end.  Hopefully he surprises me and is more than ready though.

I've been thinking the same thing, which is why I'd like a defensive utility player that can play rb/lb/cb. But if we absolutely have to Elmo can play a part. At least until the january window 

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He is not Alan though, and he will never be Alan.

Sure we can pretend, we can try to kid ourselves that we have moved on, but for how long can we keep that up, living a lie, hiding behind a fake smile. It is not fair. It is not fair on us and it's not fair on Guilbert.
You can't build a relationship on a lie.

I will never get over Alan. Never.

"...go on Alan!!!.....unlucky Alan."

I’m over Alan.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sure we can pretend, we can try to kid ourselves that we have moved on, but for how long can we keep that up, living a lie, hiding behind a fake smile. It is not fair. It is not fair on us and it's not fair on Guilbert.

Guilbert just needs to shave his head and speak in a Scottish accent and he be fine

37 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

Look at Kalinic. 

If they didn't feel he was good enough we would be buying a new rb

7 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Just want to give this a boost as I'm really looking forward to this lad playing for the Villa. 

We've been raving about the Wesley and potential Mings signing etc but this is/was our first summer signing really and I think we may have unearthed a little gem here. 

He does go to ground quite a lot in that video but, at least he tackles! He gets stuck in, looks quite pacy, has some good footwork and can certainly play some great long-range passes - with both feet! 

Is that Kodjia going through on goal at 1:53 ;)

50 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's over, you just have to accept it.  

I say he will never leave us, and he never will. But, he's got a job to do, too. Where he's going, we can't follow. What he's got to do, we can't be any part of, @rodders0223. I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of us fans don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that.  We will always have 25 November 2018 though.

14 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Bloody hell is he a full back? he's nearly on the opposition's goal line most of the time. Hopefully he will fit in with the way Deano sets up. 

I like the look of him from the video, seems to have a bit of everything. His switching of the play from deep and wing to wing could be a major asset with El Ghazi and Targett. He can tackle, play in tight spots and also bomb down the line and attack himself. Very positive. 

9 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Gill-Bear has a really combative attitude, loves a tackle and has decent technique. We need to add this sort of aggression to our team.

Agreed, one thing I didn't like last season was how much space, backing off certain players did, cost us some goals it did and silly ones at that too. Need to be charged down soon as possible this season and taken care off to cut the danger out.

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

I like the look of him from the video, seems to have a bit of everything. His switching of the play from deep and wing to wing could be a major asset with El Ghazi and Targett. He can tackle, play in tight spots and also bomb down the line and attack himself. Very positive. 

So is he like a wing back then??

17 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

So is he like a wing back then??

It looks like but the majority of full backs these days need to have the attributes of wing backs regardless of whether they're in a back 4 or 5. They're expected to attack like a winger and somehow be covering the opposition's winger at the same time. The thought of all that running makes me feel sick. 

Certainly likes to play an early ball over the top, and taking on opposition full backs. That natural confidence and aggressive attitude as a player is a very good trait. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â