Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

On 02/03/2020 at 23:10, MaVilla said:

Interesting interview with guilbert about settling in, trying to learn English and the difficulty of making friends (said English stick together- not sure if he meant villas English players?).

Think it can be easy to underestimate how difficult it can be to settle in to a new team and country.

is that the same one that he said something along the lines of jack is an incredible player, will go to the euros and could join a big club in the summer

to which our social media muppets have jumped on him and are insulting him because jacks already at a big club?

and yeah that is a shame because he does seem a bit of a character that you'd think if it wasn't for the language would fit in well

Frédéric Guilbert (Aston Villa):

If he lost in the final of the League Cup with Aston Villa against Manchester City, Frédéric Guilbert enjoys his new English life. He tells. In all relaxation.

“In the League Cup final, you faced Raheem Sterling. This is an illustration of what is happening to you this season: you have changed dimensions.
Every weekend, we know we have customers. Even when we play against so-called low-ranking teams, we still play against very, very good players. When you play against "small" teams, it is even where it is the most complicated, we do not necessarily really know the level of the players. This is perhaps where we are most in trouble.

Which opponent has impressed you the most so far?
(Ilkay) Gündogan (Manchester City). He does things that I don't know how to do. It is not talked about, it is simple, effective.

But Frédéric Guilbert also does things that Gündogan cannot do ...
Also ! But he is in City, me in Aston Villa (He smiles.).

How do you feel in this new English adventure?

I didn't expect to play as many matches (Editor's note: 22 league appearances in 27). I knew I was going through a very, very big landing. Now I have seized my chance. I hope to continue to keep this rhythm, and to improve myself further.

In fact, when your transfer to Aston Villa was formalized in winter 2019, you hadn't really imagined playing in the Premier League six months later. Villa was in the Championship and was not really in the uphill race.

No (He smiles.)! It was not what was planned. A miracle has happened. No offense to some.

We can still see you in tears on D'Ornano's lawn during the relegation of Stade Malherbe Caen at the end of last season. How long did it take you to digest this?

To tell you the truth, I still have it bad. I had Rolland Courbis two weeks ago on the phone and we discussed this again, because even he has it across his throat. I always have trouble digesting this descent. It is not the subject that I like to speak the most (He smiles.).

When French or Ligue 1 players go abroad to discover abroad, and in particular England, the fashion is to say that it works much more and better. Have you noticed that?

(He blows.) Frankly, it depends on how you interpret it. But, no, no more than that. I think it's working well in France. The mentality is not at all the same (in England), it has nothing to do, I cannot even compare. It would be to compare the incomparable. You will see a Premier League match and a Ligue 1 match: the difference is huge. It also translates into forums. Mentality ? When you take a hit in training, it doesn't matter in itself. Then there is the match, which is the most important, afterwards, during training, it works, it works, it works, it is silent. But there are lots of different things: there are things that are good in France but not in England. So I'm not here to say to myself: "Ah, in France, they do that, in England, they do that, it's better ..." Each country has its specificities. Today, I'm in England, it's going well, it's the most important.

At Villa, you evolve in a straight line in a defense of five: how do you feel in this role?

I had already played in a 3-5-2 with Patrice Garande (in Caen). I adapt. Tomorrow, I am attacked, I play attacking, there is no problem. I am not a breaker. It allows you to create more offensive opportunities. I managed to score against Leicester in the Cup semi-final thanks to the system.

Earlier you said not to imagine playing as much: you thought to arrive as a lining?

No, no, I say that because there is always a period of acclimatization. There are some for whom it is more or less complicated. It was the first time I went abroad. I did not know the country, I did not know the culture. I could very well have adapted badly. I assumed that if I didn't play, I had to work harder and hope.
How's it going with the English language?
It's okay (He smiles.)! It's hard here. The accent in Birmingham is very prononcé, it is not obvious. But it's OK. I am not bilingual.

Soon !

I speak franglish there, you see?

Not too much mockery for your accent?

It's possible. But when they speak French, it's even worse than us.

Besides, adaptation level, it could be a little more complicated: at Aston Villa, there are few French speakers ...

I have no French in my club (He smiles.)! There are no French speakers. I had Jonathan Kodjia, who went to the Emirates. I find myself a little lonely. But I'm easy going so it's fine.

For someone who had never gone abroad, what could have been the most complicated?

Where it's complicated is to make friends. (He picks himself up.) Finally ... Since we don't speak the language very well, the English often stay together. It is the human being who is like that.

Is it more difficult in terms of social life?

Yes, this is where it is most complicated. We are only among ourselves, as a family. So sometimes we get a little bored ...

Yeah, there can be times when you're bored, but as long as you're with family is ok... You had a little talk about yourself last November by posting a message on social networks about VAR and the evolution of the relationship with referees.

This is something that I noticed and which I think can serve everyone. Sometimes it's good to give ideas. VAR is a great tool, but it may not be used in the best way. What it would be "good" is to put a small microphone to the referees, to hear what is going on. Beyond VAR, we can understand what they have in mind, how they say things, how it can be interpreted. And it could also allow us, players, to pay attention to our words. Because we can sometimes have inappropriate lyrics.

On arriving at Villa, had the people there already heard of the best tackler in Europe? (Editor's note: In 2018, a statistic revealed that Frédéric Guilbert was the player who tackled the most in the five major Championships, while being the one who managed the most tackles.)

The people of Caen maybe, yeah (He smiles.). No I do not know.

Do you always tackle "as much"?

If I can avoid tackling, I will, of course. It depends on what type of team we play. When you have a defensive team, a team that takes risks ... At the start of a match, I do not leave with the idea of saying to myself "You are going to make so many tackles". If it is an appropriate choice, yes, if not, no.

In your team, there is a player who makes a lot of talk by his talent, it is Jack Grealish. What can you tell us about it?

He's a top player. I think he has the ability to go to a big club this summer. The Euro, clearly, it will go. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 02/03/2020 at 23:10, MaVilla said:

Interesting interview with guilbert about settling in, trying to learn English and the difficulty of making friends (said English stick together- not sure if he meant villas English players?).

Think it can be easy to underestimate how difficult it can be to settle in to a new team and country.

Think from his interview its more his level of English that maybe its hard to meet people

He is a cult hero already 

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I must admit I don't love the talking about our best player moving to a "big club" in the summer, whilst we have 11 crucial games to go, to survive, in the Premier League.

That being said, I do like Guibert alot. I have a feeling some of these might have been lost in translation, also wouldn't surprise me if the interviewer set him up with certain questions, and have selectively quoted him for effect here.

He needs to seek out a French Ex Pat club or something. I am sure there must be something like that in Birmingham. 

Edited by sidcow

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He would have had plenty of company had he signed 3 years ago.  I’m struggling to think who else might speak French in the squad. Kodija left too. Engles maybe?

He said nobody does since Kodjia left, maybe that's why we loaned Kalinic to Toulouse 😂

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He would have had plenty of company had he signed 3 years ago.  I’m struggling to think who else might speak French in the squad. Kodija left too. Engles maybe?

El Ghazi might, and possibly our Egypt ones (but likely not)

Konsa has Congolese heritage but was born in England, right?

23 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I must admit I don't love the talking about our best player moving to a "big club" in the summer, whilst we have 11 crucial games to go, to survive, in the Premier League.

That being said, I do like Guibert alot. I have a feeling some of these might have been lost in translation, also wouldn't surprise me if the interviewer set him up with certain questions, and have selectively quoted him for effect here.

He was very rude about the Birmingham accent too. That’s almost a bigger sin! 🤪

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looks like Engels comes from a Flemish community although he played in France.  It's sometime easy to forget players take longer to settle than others and at least the club seems better at helping than in the Sherwood days.  I really like Guilbert and have no problem with him giving honest interviews like this.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Is his English really that bad? Can't he have a basic conversation?

I've seen Nakamba and Trezeguet getting along really well. And Nakamba doesn't speak Arabic as far as i know.

Both could speak Flemish

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm more concerned with how he plays, not what he says.

not a great fan, if I'm honest.

Why not?
He works his arse off, is good at the overlap, defensively very solid (joint 7th best tackler in the league, number 14 for interceptions) - sure he's not the best passer in the world but he's notched a couple of assists. 

• Like 3

Â