Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

53 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Speaks volumes that he buries a finish like that, weak foot, and he's not really that bothered or got anyone to really celebrate with. Just don't think he's settled into the club at all. 

Or it's 5-0 against a league 2 club and he has cramp. Because that was the situation tonight. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

we haven't seemed to have had much luck with French speaking players in recent years have we? Benteke was an obvious exception, but the 2015 intake bombed out and went onto success, although that was with a toxic atmosphere too. Engels went earlier in the season, who is probably someone Guilbert would have been friendly with. We haven't treated him the best tbh, there is definitely a player in there and im confident that if he does leave he will find his way back to the prem at some point. I just hope he gets given oppirtunities because whilst cash is usually solid enough, there are times when we could use another option.

Engels was Flemish not sure if he spoke French, Kodjia did OK

1 hour ago, Newry_Villan said:

Didn't acknowledge the young lad he replaced. Disappointed in that. 

I think he’s just done and in a bad mental space. I’ve no doubt in other circumstances he would have as he seems very professional. 

24 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I think he’s just done and in a bad mental space. I’ve no doubt in other circumstances he would have as he seems very professional. 

Plus he’d just been hacked down earlier 

Going off his recent Twitter posts, he’s following Strasbourg closely… a fan asked if he was returning and he responded with a “crystal ball” gif… liked a reply calling for the club to pay the money for him…

Been following their games and liking club content, fans are calling for his return…

Maybe he’s heading back there, may as well sell him and get a fee rather than just another loan.

Don’t know the circumstances but I always felt he could make a good contribution here… just never really seemed in favour… always seemed a likeable guy with good attributes, a pacy and tenacious RB.

Just guessing, but I feel we will sell Conor & Fred and possibly Nakamba…

Then make at least another signing or two…

Dean did say that the club is working on outgoings… the latest is Wesley, been sent back to Brugge on loan

42 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He had a decent game, but the player I remember is an absolute train wreck defensively at Premier League level and not that good going forward that you can stomach it. 

Just not good enough for a mid table Premier League club looking up IMO, and honestly not a patch on Matty Cash when you compare the two in any kind of form. Of course, he may have improved whilst he has been away and mug me off, I hope so, but I'm not seeing it. 

maybe but he would be an OK back up to Cash who is also not perfect, Guilbert is miles better than Elmo for example. I think Kesler will be the long term right back but could take  2 seasons before he gets into the squad

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

maybe but he would be an OK back up to Cash who is also not perfect, Guilbert is miles better than Elmo for example. I think Kesler will be the long term right back but could take  2 seasons before he gets into the squad

Today, probably. Not sure I agree he’s better than the Elmo we had for 3/4 years mind you. Certainly not miles better. Elmo had his flaws and his legs had gone by the end of last season, but he at least understood the position.

I would much rather see Konsa at right back and Hause/Tuanzebe in the middle, or Young and Targett, then Guilbert starting in the Premier League.

Cash has a lot to learn yet still, he’s so much better than Guilbert at the basics of defending, the bit a full back has to get right first and foremost in a mid table team, that it’s not even close. 

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He had a decent game, but the player I remember is an absolute train wreck defensively at Premier League level and not that good going forward that you can stomach it. 

Just not good enough for a mid table Premier League club looking up IMO, and honestly not a patch on Matty Cash when you compare the two in any kind of form. Of course, he may have improved whilst he has been away and mug me off, I hope so, but I'm not seeing it. 

Train wreck defensively? What are you talking about? 

it would be a complete farce if we let him go for any less than £10m. Guilbert has similar stats in 19/20 as Cash did in 20/21 - Stick Guilbert in a better team and I have little doubt hed do better. The way Smith has treated him is a disgrace IMO.

He was the best defender in Ligue 1 since he joined (whoscored), and in the top 20 players overall. It'd be no surprise whatsoever if he moved for £20m in a couple years time. 

I think Guilbert is easily better than Cash, I appreciate others feel differently, but surley he could be kept and gien a real chnace to compete with Cash? 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Siby, former teammate: “Come back”

Fred: “Haha if only”

He could be off soon…

Nothing against him personally but I haven’t much patience for this kind of stuff he’s under contract at Villa and he really shouldn’t be entertaining this kind of stuff on Twitter best he kept his mouth shut

• Like 1

Â