Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Tough to decide what to do with Guilbert. He has two years left on his contract and has just had a great loan spell. It purely comes down to his character and Smith's view on him.

His value is going to be at his highest right now if the club want to sell him. I believe we would need to bring someone in as backup if Fred was sold as it's too early for Kesler (who would definitely benefit from a loan spell out somewhere). 

My opinion would be to keep Fred one further year, send Kesler on loan, then reassess the position next summer.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Wes said:

Tough to decide what to do with Guilbert. He has two years left on his contract and has just had a great loan spell. It purely comes down to his character and Smith's view on him.

His value is going to be at his highest right now if the club want to sell him. I believe we would need to bring someone in as backup if Fred was sold as it's too early for Kesler (who would definitely benefit from a loan spell out somewhere). 

My opinion would be to keep Fred one further year, send Kesler on loan, then reassess the position next summer.

But can you get better value at the right price? That's the issue really, as the priority spending shouldn't be on Cashy's back up option 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WooJung said:

But can you get better value at the right price? That's the issue really, as the priority spending shouldn't be on Cashy's back up option 

Agree with you completely.

I had a general search around at likely available options this summer and I think you would be looking at someone like Djibril Sidibe from Monaco for a similar value (who was on loan at Everton for a year so would tick the prior Premier League player box) if you want an experienced player as backup.

If you went for a younger backup there's plenty more options, but then you're adding another potential obstacle to Kesler's pathway to the First Team down the road and Cash is pretty young himself anyway.

Unless a real potential talent becomes available (maybe someone from Barcelona B who are desperate for money) I personally would rather stick with Guilbert. He knows how we play and what Smith will ask of him. That's just my personal preference though. It'll be interesting to see what the powers that be at the Club decide.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Really like him. Showed promise in his few appearances for us, showed a real fighting spirit, and has the right attitude (liked posts about Cash so doesn't seem bitter).

He's got 5 goal contributions in 13 games in France for a team that were well below average. Which is one area I thought he looked weakest in for us, so there is definitely a player in there.  Feel he'd be a wasted opportunity if we let him go,  although i'd hope we recoup more than what we paid if we did let him go. 

• Like 3

Not sure about Fred.

He's a likeable bloke and has ability, but I didn't like his positional awareness in games, or the fact he rarely seemed to win any aerial duals (particularly whilst defending set-pieces), both of which are basic requirements for a full back.

I think some fans overlooked his shortcomings because he always tried hard and came across well on social media. 

If he has addressed these flaws, then sure, let's have him back in the fold, if he hasn't, the game's up for Fred in a Villa shirt I'm afraid.

Edited by Lerner's Driver

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Not sure about Fred.

He's a likeable bloke and has ability, but I didn't like his positional awareness in games, or the fact he rarely seemed to win any aerial duals (particularly whilst defending set-pieces), both of which are basic requirements for a full back.

I think some fans overlooked his shortcomings because he always tried hard and came across well on social media. 

If he has addressed these flaws, then sure, let's have him back in the fold, if he hasn't, the game's up for Fred in a Villa shirt I'm afraid.

What are you talking about he always wins aerial duels? He has got a great leap in him and there was at least once a game where he won the header from an opponents goal kick because he got a run up and got up higher than everyone else. 

Yes he struggles in the box but that's because you can't run onto it as a defender. Look at the goal Benteke scored against us vs Palace. Hause who is undoubtedly the best cb in the air in the league got about 1/3 as high as Benteke. If the ball is behind the defender then 9/10 times its the attackers balls. 

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He could well improve to the degree Targett has… would be a useful member of the squad, good attitude, competition for Cash.

Can we not sign a new RB for once? And concentrate on more pressing areas for improvement…

Agreed. I’d like to see how Fred can perform in the current Villa team, not the one that nearly went down the season before. So many players made great strides in terms of progress last season - notably Targett and Konsa, and It would be interesting to see how Fred would be in the far stronger defensive unit we have now. Im sure he could provide capable back-up to Cash if he’s prepared to accept that role. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Agreed. I’d like to see how Fred can perform in the current Villa team, not the one that nearly went down the season before. So many players made great strides in terms of progress last season - notably Targett and Konsa, and It would be interesting to see how Fred would be in the far stronger defensive unit we have now. Im sure he could provide capable back-up to Cash if he’s prepared to accept that role. 

I thought Guilbert was probably our 3rd or 4th best player last season. Grealish, Mings, hourihane and then in par with mcginn, targett and Heaton. 

And he's clearly improved. He was the best player in France for a month and best defender the entire time he was there. 

5 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Yes good point.

I guess the question is, can he now replace Elmo?  Can he even be better than Elmo? If so it's one position we don't need to recruit for this summer.

If we're spending £35m odd million on Buendia, say £45m on JWP (or similar) we could have probably £20m to spend on a new left back/left back cover for Targett to make our usual £100m spend.   That's before we even look at anything we might earn from player sales and what we've made up in saved wages from the departures.

Depends on if we then need a striker, but having Guilbert back instead of a £20m odd spend in this position would be handy.

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes good point.

I guess the question is, can he now replace Elmo?  Can he even be better than Elmo? If so it's one position we don't need to recruit for this summer.

If we're spending £35m odd million on Buendia, say £45m on JWP (or similar) we could have probably £20m to spend on a new left back/left back cover for Targett to make our usual £100m spend.   That's before we even look at anything we might earn from player sales and what we've made up in saved wages from the departures.

Depends on if we then need a striker, but having Guilbert back instead of a £20m odd spend in this position would be handy.

Yes he was lightyears ahead of elmo in 19/20 and he improved further in regards to his attacking potency whilst still being an elite ball winner. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

He could well improve to the degree Targett has… would be a useful member of the squad, good attitude, competition for Cash.

Can we not sign a new RB for once? And concentrate on more pressing areas for improvement…

Not against this especially if Cash can stay fit for the majority of the season,  He’s average a grafter  yes but average in terms of football ability , there’s nothing wrong with being average he can fill the Neil Taylor spot and then eventually can bring someone in to push Cash be it Kessler or a new signing 

36 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think you are just being negative here.  I have been re-educated, in a football sense, this summer by our glorious leader and national coach and now realise that you can never have enough right backs, especially when some of them are really right wing backs, and that right backs can be deployed all over the pitch. 🤔😉

51 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Not against this especially if Cash can stay fit for the majority of the season,  He’s average a grafter  yes but average in terms of football ability , there’s nothing wrong with being average he can fill the Neil Taylor spot and then eventually can bring someone in to push Cash be it Kessler or a new signing 

Exactly. What people seem to forget is that a back-up player is generally not as good as the starter, hence being back-up. I'd argue that Fred isn't far off being as good as Matty, so as a back-up player I think we'd struggle to find better. If he works hard and pushes to start that can only serve us well as it keeps MC on his toes and SHOULD reduce complacency.

Cash seems prone to the odd injury and or suspension, so plenty of opportunity for him.  Not to mention the ability to rest and rotate for cup games, lesser opposition, etc... Plus he can play on the left if needed to give Targett 15 mins rest at the end of the game given his ever presence this season.

He's ideal for what we need, and honestly I think it's more on Fred whether he wants to accept this role, more than it is on us whether we want to keep him. 

Some seem to think he's already done here, and I can see their view on it,  but posts above give me some confidence that's that's minority view.

We absolutely could have shipped him out on loan because it made financial sense for us last season. Get his wages off the books, keep him sharp, and adding to his value rather than watch it depreciate. Rely on Elmo for the season, as he's in the last year of his contract and management thought he'd be capable for the few occasions he's needed.

its quite simple for me, i like Freddie, he is adequate competition for Cash, he can even play LB at a push if needed.

Absolutely no need or reason to not have him in the squad now Elmo has left the club, why would we spunk X million on a new RB and reduce our spend elsewhere on the squad (where it is actually needed"), for a position that is basically already covered, and a youth team player in Kesler who may be also pushing for the position in a year or two????, would make zero sense.

Guilbert can play LB aswell, which we need if we aren't signing a back up for Targett.

I like him, agree sometimes he lacks positional awareness, but he has pace and can tackle well.

to be fair sometimes Cash gets completely bypassed for almost an entire 90 mins, you can tell he has undertaken a steep learning curve.

Cash is clearly first choice and rightly so but Guilbert deserves another chance, even if it's just as back up.

20 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Exactly. What people seem to forget is that a back-up player is generally not as good as the starter, hence being back-up. I'd argue that Fred isn't far off being as good as Matty, so as a back-up player I think we'd struggle to find better. If he works hard and pushes to start that can only serve us well as it keeps MC on his toes and SHOULD reduce complacency.

Ideally I’d prefer no “backup” players and rather 2 competing in every position on the pitch, but we can’t do that atm, and I think we have other areas that need strengthening currently rather than buying a right back, hopefully in time time we have at least the match day squad good enough to be starters.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

with konsa also stepping in more than adequately to cover, i think it's safe to say we won't be signing a RB this summer

Â