Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

More likely it's a position we will look to recruit in. He's not going to play for Villa again methinks. 

I'd find it odd if we did.... possibly getting rid of 2 backup rightbacks to buy another one? Guilbert is good enough for being a back up IMO

Still, I trust the management and coaching team, they have been proved right most of the time this year! 

loan watch: 2-0 home defeat on debut. had a quick glance on their forum and there are a lot of pissed off fans, but fred escaped criticism. sounds like he was far from the worst player today

• Like 2

We were awful defensively last season as a unit and I thought he was decent overall. In a much better team and more organised defence I will take him over Elmo all day long. More energy, gets up and down the pitch, I really don't understand why he's not first choice back up.

I even said a few months ago when we were struggling with a RW option why we don't use him and Cash together down that side, similar to what Leicester did today. 

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

We were awful defensively last season as a unit and I thought he was decent overall. In a much better team and more organised defence I will take him over Elmo all day long. More energy, gets up and down the pitch, I really don't understand why he's not first choice back up.

I even said a few months ago when we were struggling with a RW option why we don't use him and Cash together down that side, similar to what Leicester did today. 

Cash is actually a competent winger as well unlike the elmo thing who can't take a man in or overlap. I'm surprised we didn't try the Guilbert Cash duo at least once against someone like city. 

26 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Cash is actually a competent winger as well unlike the elmo thing who can't take a man in or overlap. I'm surprised we didn't try the Guilbert Cash duo at least once against someone like city. 

Exactly esp as cash was a winger till last season at forest, I think them 2 on the right would work well together

• Like 2

On 21/02/2021 at 16:18, MotoMkali said:

Looking like a terrible decision to send him out on loan now. 

Why Elmo has done ok ?

And he is only loan - so if your opinion of him his shared in the football world - he should be commanding a £20m fee - or will be starting for us next season......(neither of those things will happen imo).

Probably another loan next season.

13 hours ago, hippo said:

Why Elmo has done ok ?

And he is only loan - so if your opinion of him his shared in the football world - he should be commanding a £20m fee - or will be starting for us next season......(neither of those things will happen imo).

Probably another loan next season.

Elmo has done pretty poorly in my opinion. Was arguably at fault for both the goals against Leicester although barkley was also culpable. Also Elmo was getting torn to shreds in the first half but for whatever reason they didn't really play through raphinha in the second half so we got off lucky there imo.

Guilbert has got 2 assists in 3 games for strasbourg and is a much better defender than elmo. If elmo isn't better at attacking then guilbert what does he offer? 

Against Lille he made 6 tackles and 5 interceptions. And has made 11 tackles and 7 interceptions through 3 games. He is clearly performing well and in my opinion has been harshly done by. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 3

Fred wants to play but Dean Smith favours Cash, although I love Fred I think Cash edges him out. That's why Fred went out on loan so he can play the game he loves.

Sad for me as I really like him and hoped he would buy in to this project that requires a strong squad, hope he has a change of thinking and he comes back in the summer to replace Elmo who is surely off.

27 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Elmo has done pretty poorly in my opinion. Was arguably at fault for both the goals against Leicester although barkley was also culpable. Also Elmo was getting torn to shreds in the first half but for whatever reason they didn't really play through raphinha in the second half so we got off lucky there imo.

Guilbert has got 2 assists in 3 games for strasbourg and is a much better defender than elmo. If elmo isn't better at attacking then guilbert what does he offer? 

Against Lille he made 6 tackles and 5 interceptions. And has made 11 tackles and 7 interceptions through 3 games. He is clearly performing well and in my opinion has been harshly done by. 

And 2 times in team of the week

• Haha 1

Fred isn’t as good as Cashy, but he’s a better back up than Elmo IMO. I can’t envisage Elmo remaining a Villa player beyond this season, and so as things stand we have a player who can fit straight into the 1st team squad for next season. We don’t have to worry about a replacement for Elmo. We also have Kessler waiting in the wings. We’re ok at RB for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

Fred isn’t as good as Cashy, but he’s a better back up than Elmo IMO. I can’t envisage Elmo remaining a Villa player beyond this season, and so as things stand we have a player who can fit straight into the 1st team squad for next season. We don’t have to worry about a replacement for Elmo. We also have Kessler waiting in the wings. We’re ok at RB for the foreseeable future. 

i think this is why fred went on loan. play plenty of football, we'll get reports/videos on how he's doing, and assess in the summer whether he's suitable as our backup RB or if we need to recruit once elmo goes.

elmo did just fine on saturday, so is perfectly capable of filling cash's shoes until he's fit which doesn't seem like it's too far away

On 21/02/2021 at 16:44, rodders0223 said:

Guilbert is no better than Elmo just quicker. I still recall his last game before lockdown against Leicester and it was one the worst individual performances I can recall.

When we beat Arsenal to stay up after the restart he came on and was absolutely superb. Obviously needs to find a bit of consistency with his performances.

34 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think this is why fred went on loan. play plenty of football, we'll get reports/videos on how he's doing, and assess in the summer whether he's suitable as our backup RB or if we need to recruit once elmo goes.

elmo did just fine on saturday, so is perfectly capable of filling cash's shoes until he's fit which doesn't seem like it's too far away

You'd like to think Kessler would be in the mix rather than automatically looking to bring someone in. 

I don't think Smith is particularly a fan, and wouldn't be surprised to see him move on.

I think Fred is OK back-up, and can play both sides.

He's not as good as Targett or Cash, but we aren't going to be getting players as good as them to sit on the bench for 80% of a season. 

He does seem to have a decent attitude and can be shown very clearly where Cash is doing better than him, because it's pretty much everything.

No matter the future, getting him out on loan and playing well is a good thing right now.

44 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

You'd like to think Kessler would be in the mix rather than automatically looking to bring someone in. 

it depends how far off kessler is from being ready for the first team. i can see us either keeping fred or bringing someone else in. then we can loan kessler out and get him playing regularly

Â