Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

He does add something going forward when he plays well, the issue is if he replaces Konsa will we go back to clown college style defending? I say back to that Gayle goal was all kinds of comedy and Konsa was partly responsible although I blame the rest more than him for being so out of position.

Edited by VillanousOne

9 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I have a feeling he was a lot more important to our attack than he was given credit for.

Yep even if he wasn’t providing a cross or assist, his overlapping runs would cause a distraction for defences pulling them out of place

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

What's happened to him ? Injured?

He arrived as the white Michael Johnson and over the course of a year turned into Michael Macintyre. That is what is wrong.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep even if he wasn’t providing a cross or assist, his overlapping runs would cause a distraction for defences pulling them out of place

He hasn't made an overlapping run since before Christmas. Guy was a machine last year. Now you are lucky if he can muster the energy to reach the half way line.

He's a championship level full back. We're probably kidding ourselves if we think he isn't. He's one of our more likeable players as he gives 100% and loves a tackle but to kick on and survive in the premier league, you need better than him and Targett. 

He'll be fine next year, as will Targett. Our aim needs to be to bring in a centre half to partner Konsa or bring in two depending on how much you rate Konsa/Hause/Engels etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's a championship level full back. We're probably kidding ourselves if we think he isn't. He's one of our more likeable players as he gives 100% and loves a tackle but to kick on and survive in the premier league, you need better than him and Targett. 

He'll be fine next year, as will Targett. Our aim needs to be to bring in a centre half to partner Konsa or bring in two depending on how much you rate Konsa/Hause/Engels etc. 

Nah guilbert is good. He is only 25, still learning the English game and Smith completely changed our style of football after Christmas. He has struggled since then yes but he has made the 3rd most tackles of any full back (5th total despite being out for like 6 or 7 games).

We really need his aggression, he loved to foul around the halfway line to break up play which we have missed without him we don't make it hard for the opposition to move up the pitch and get penned into our own third. It is quite noticeable how much better our wingers looked when he was playing because of his ability to draw one or 2 players away with his runs. 

• Like 1

I saw only Wan-Bissaka and Pereira have made more tackles than him at FB and those 2 cost a combined 100 mil

He has done ok for first season and yes his pace is greatly missed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nabby said:

He has done ok for first season and yes his pace is greatly missed.

This can't be underestimated. Slightly OT but I still think Adama is a headless chicken sometimes irrelevant if the media love in. 

He causes mayhem because of his pace, even in the modern game of wonderfully technical players, pace is still key. 

Edited by av1

We've only conceded four goals in four games since returning, that's a vast improvement to our defensive record before the season was postponed, Smith might be tempted to leave things as they are at the back.

• Like 1

Always think back to that early Everton game, guy was a machine up and down the line all night making fantastic last ditch tackles. Reminded me of Delaney. Saw him v West Ham and he kept Felipe Anderson quiet although that hasn't been too hard as season has gone on.

Him and Engels looked really good early on but form plateaued from December onwards.

They only cost just over 10m combined so miles away from being our worst value signings of the summer so I'd keep both if they want to stay (suspect not with Engels).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, useless said:

We've only conceded four goals in four games since returning, that's a vast improvement to our defensive record before the season was postponed, Smith might be tempted to leave things as they are at the back.

That is a valid suggestion. I imagine he probably will for Liverpool at least as it’ll be a park the bus job to try keep the shoreline respectable. But after that we need to be braver going forwards and take risks to try win games. Guilbert is much more positive than Konsa going forwards so I expect he’ll be given reduced game time via sub appearances at Liverpool and possibly against United before starting against Palace. 

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Praise the lord. I don't think I could stand another game of Konsa at RB

I think for a centre back playing out of position, he’s done quite well there, it doesn’t surprise me, I think he’s excellent 

• Like 2

Â