Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

16 hours ago, TRO said:

full backs that can defend well are a major asset.

Of course they are. Defenders that can defend well, attackers that can attack well....all invaluable. Obviously the very best do "the other side of the job" at least competently too. Some full backs are decent going forward, but not so good when put under pressure, others can defend really well, but don't offer much going forwards, and some are below par at both. It's going to depend a great deal on managerial tactics which type a club has to settle for - someone whose intent is to try and win every game, even though they don't have a top 6 type squad of quality players will prefer a FB who can attack competently, with defensive flaws over a defender who is a liability with the ball, perhaps. And the reverse might be true for a "park the bus, get a point if we're lucky" minded manager.

For a newly promoted, play-off winning side such a us, or in previous seasons, they're already at a disadvantage over every other side in the Prem, because of the lateness of knowing what league they'd be in, and because their ability to spend will be reduced compared to most of the 17 established ones (whether the others choose to use it or not). Villa has also had some particular bad luck with injuries - long term injuries to key players and their back-ups too, as well as some self inflicted flaws. In essence to lose, for the season or a long time, your spine of Keeper (plus back up), a centre half, Centre mid and centre forward is a bit of a blow to most sides. Do that in a squad that had to be rapidly assembled and...well, it's massively disruptive and doesn't help with establishing cohesion and understanding and continuity.

Going back to Guilbert, he's one of many players who've had a dip. At his best, he's decent and definitely PL standard. Ditto Targett. Over time, given the chance I think they'll both show that benefitting from (aside from the pandemic halt) a full season or two in the league to get to grips with it and develop. Other areas for me are more pressing. I'd have a Snodgrass, for example, over Trez any day of the week. Both wingers are massively and repeatedly inconsistent. We're short of Prem standard midfielders. Jack, and McGinn, obviously, but then...? Hourihane is really excellent in some areas, but falls short in others, Luiz & Nakamba still adapting, so like the FBs this season isn't the one to judge them on stand alone basis. CF Wes, not for me, not as a lone forward, but he might prove me wrong. If we stay up, by whatever means, we'll have a decent chance to benefit from this season's learning next season. IF we don't a lot of the players have improved and if it weren't for a likely drop in all transfer values due to the virus, then their value will have gone up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blandy said:

Of course they are. Defenders that can defend well, attackers that can attack well....all invaluable. Obviously the very best do "the other side of the job" at least competently too. Some full backs are decent going forward, but not so good when put under pressure, others can defend really well, but don't offer much going forwards, and some are below par at both. It's going to depend a great deal on managerial tactics which type a club has to settle for - someone whose intent is to try and win every game, even though they don't have a top 6 type squad of quality players will prefer a FB who can attack competently, with defensive flaws over a defender who is a liability with the ball, perhaps. And the reverse might be true for a "park the bus, get a point if we're lucky" minded manager.

For a newly promoted, play-off winning side such a us, or in previous seasons, they're already at a disadvantage over every other side in the Prem, because of the lateness of knowing what league they'd be in, and because their ability to spend will be reduced compared to most of the 17 established ones (whether the others choose to use it or not). Villa has also had some particular bad luck with injuries - long term injuries to key players and their back-ups too, as well as some self inflicted flaws. In essence to lose, for the season or a long time, your spine of Keeper (plus back up), a centre half, Centre mid and centre forward is a bit of a blow to most sides. Do that in a squad that had to be rapidly assembled and...well, it's massively disruptive and doesn't help with establishing cohesion and understanding and continuity.

Going back to Guilbert, he's one of many players who've had a dip. At his best, he's decent and definitely PL standard. Ditto Targett. Over time, given the chance I think they'll both show that benefitting from (aside from the pandemic halt) a full season or two in the league to get to grips with it and develop. Other areas for me are more pressing. I'd have a Snodgrass, for example, over Trez any day of the week. Both wingers are massively and repeatedly inconsistent. We're short of Prem standard midfielders. Jack, and McGinn, obviously, but then...? Hourihane is really excellent in some areas, but falls short in others, Luiz & Nakamba still adapting, so like the FBs this season isn't the one to judge them on stand alone basis. CF Wes, not for me, not as a lone forward, but he might prove me wrong. If we stay up, by whatever means, we'll have a decent chance to benefit from this season's learning next season. IF we don't a lot of the players have improved and if it weren't for a likely drop in all transfer values due to the virus, then their value will have gone up.

Lots of ifs buts and maybe's in there Pete.

I wasn't talking about the why's.....Was just merely saying they can't defend and I will stay with that......If they learn and settle in time, I will be quick out the traps, to say i was wrong......not wrong in what I saw, wrong in the the long term view.

I accept a lot of what you say, but when we decide what style we want to procede with whatever it is, we have to accept the consequences.....above all else, I want winning football, if that means sacrificing some of the spectacle, I would take it.

I appreciate the finer arts of defending and find it fascinating to watch, just like i do attacking football, that does not mean "park the bus " football.....just class players who can defend.

I must say ....I usually talk about the here and now, when I comment on players....what happens next year won't save us now.....and more importantly, can't be quantified, either.

• 4 weeks later...

Asked during an Instagram Q&A if he would hope to stay if Villa are relegated, Guilbert has said: "The important thing for me in football is not money or division. So why not?" Nice to hear that. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John said:

Asked during an Instagram Q&A if he would hope to stay if Villa are relegated, Guilbert has said: "The important thing for me in football is not money or division. So why not?" Nice to hear that. 

Well he signed for us before we got promoted so that makes sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well he signed for us before we got promoted so that makes sense.

It's positive that a taste of the big time, hasn't made him think of calling his agent yet though. 

• Like 2

It worries me that he always finds him in a struggling team. Don't think it's good for him at all.

In a way the Championship would be good for him. Not having to worry about relegation and focus on developing.

Guilbert: “Now it's three months I haven't had an English lesson. It's difficult. I stay at home. I have a gym in my home. Every day I run and I do gym. It's not the same, we don't touch the ball or see our friends.” [Daily Mail] via @villareport 

Link

(Villareport I know - probs not even true) You would have thought now would be a perfect time to learn English with a tutor? Club could have helped him out a bit here?

3 minutes ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Guilbert: “Now it's three months I haven't had an English lesson. It's difficult. I stay at home. I have a gym in my home. Every day I run and I do gym. It's not the same, we don't touch the ball or see our friends.” [Daily Mail] via @villareport 

Link

(Villareport I know - probs not even true) You would have thought now would be a perfect time to learn English with a tutor? Club could have helped him out a bit here?

Yeah I was going to post that.

3 months without any English lessons???, he could have had numerous lessons a week via online?!?!?!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Missed him today would of been better at marking Mount I feel. Not even is the squad is questionable?

Depends which Freddie we get. The absolute machine and athletic specimen we bought or the flat footed lard arse Freddie we turned him into 

• Like 1

“Frederic Guilbert has been training for the past few days, so he comes into contention again but we'll take another look at him in training today (Monday).” via the OS

We need this guy firing on all cylinders and flying down that right hand side again. I'm hoping, like with Douglas, the break will have done him some good.

Edited by AV82

Â