Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Most of our players have never played in the Prem before. Most are new to the team. Most have probably played in several positions throughout their careers and are well versed in different positions. Certain players also transition to reaching their potential in positions unlikely earlier in their careers due to good coaching and hard work with obviously, quality. Also with good management foresight in seeing something in a players abilities that others haven't. How do you know that Guilbert isn't capable of making this transition? FWIW I'm not saying he can however don't be shortsighted in saying at this point he could never. How many players have found themselves in this same situation in the Prem?!  

Just to add to this I'm not in anyway saying we should put him in a front 3 s that ridiculous but what has concerned me in the 2 games we have played is the lack of delivery from the bylines on both sides. We don't have a huge squad or many wide options and maybe a times during the season will need to look at options not necessarily first choice. We have to look at ways of getting the most out of our width for the middle to work imo. If we don't ask questions out wide the midfield lose outlets, momentum, delivery and becomes easier to contain for opponents. We have to start learning to stretch teams again to create space in the middle like last year. 

9 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

The missing villa man, I do wonder why this guy isn't atleast on the bench 

As said purely a numbers game Dean Smith addressed this at one of the press conferences when asked about Guilbert, his bench will be a a GK, two defenders, two midfielders and two strikers.

I can't see him starting in the PL until Elmo really messes up.

On 18/08/2019 at 16:05, DCJonah said:

He's played rb for his career. Coming to the hardest league in the world and you want him to play in a completely new position? Good right wingers struggle in this league, i dread to think how a converted right back with no prem experience or experience of the position would get on. 

Didn't Gareth Bale started his career as a full back?

9 minutes ago, Dave_jW said:

he was moved to the wing because he was useless at LB. the famous story of blues being able to sign him for 800k and turned him down, he was that bad.

even from little i've seen, guilbert is a better RB now than bale was at LB. it wasn't that bale became a winger, he was just out of position in the first place. i dont think that to be the case with guilbert

7 hours ago, Dave_jW said:

So did Neil Taylor, doesn't mean he'd be any good on the wing

9 hours ago, av1 said:

So did Neil Taylor, doesn't mean he'd be any good on the wing

Or he’s twice the player Bale is on the wing and we’ve wasted the worlds best player all this time.

Joking aside I think Taylor comes in for some harsh criticism on here. He’s been decent ever since Smith arrived. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tomav84 said:

he was moved to the wing because he was useless at LB. the famous story of blues being able to sign him for 800k and turned him down, he was that bad.

A pity as McLeish could have got the best out of him. Be probably be playing at Hartlepool now

21 hours ago, tomav84 said:

even from little i've seen, guilbert is a better RB now than bale was at LB. it wasn't that bale became a winger, he was just out of position in the first place. i dont think that to be the case with guilbert

Bale played LB for southampton and for spurs in his first season after a 5m move Redknapp moved him to the wing because he was such a threat going foreward 

23 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Numbers.

Smith doesn't want or need 2 fullbacks on the bench.

I think potentially when we start Targett and Guilbert. The bench would look like this:

Steer, House/Konsa, Konsa/Elmo, Nakamba, Hourihane, Jota, Kodjia

With Davis and Lansbury on and off depending on circumstances, Taylor the same.

Depending on formation changing El Ghazi could go to the bench too.

I also agree with some, that it would be a wise choice to try Guilbert as a winger in a cup match. Maybe next week at Crewe. He could be helpful there. We're seeing him a much attacking threat in RB than Elmo who's originally a RM.

25 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Bale played LB for southampton and for spurs in his first season after a 5m move Redknapp moved him to the wing because he was such a threat going foreward 

Don't listen to Harry's lies.

John Toshack had played Bale further forward months before Harry. He was immense to Wales every game going forward.

Harry persisted at LB for a while before giving it a go.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't listen to Harry's lies.

John Toshack had played Bale further forward months before Harry. He was immense to Wales every game going forward.

Harry persisted at LB for a while before giving it a go.

And Bale also played there for Southampton on occasions

Bedding in players by playing them in unfamiliar positions is not the way to go IMO.

Guess one can argue that Tuanzebe came good at CB because Bruce tried to make him a RB, but I strongly feel that's not why.

I think it was because he is a CB that was moved to CB.

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Bedding in players by playing them in unfamiliar positions is not the way to go IMO.

Guess one can argue that Tuanzebe came good at CB because Bruce tried to make him a RB, but I strongly feel that's not why.

I agree about playing them out of position isn’t best. Especially Guilbert who doesn’t look to have any tricks to play as a winger, but has got pace needed for an overlapping fullback 

Not wishing to derail the thread, but Personally think Bruce only played Tuanzebe rb to get match fitness where he thought he was less of a risk in conceding. Once fit he was always going to move  to cb 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I agree about playing them out of position isn’t best. Especially Guilbert who doesn’t look to have any tricks to play as a winger, but has got pace needed for an overlapping fullback 

Not wishing to derail the thread, but Personally think Bruce only played Tuanzebe rb to get match fitness where he thought he was less of a risk in conceding. Once fit he was always going to move  to cb 

Perhaps so, was still a terrible idea since we didn't have any CB's. One of the main reasons that cost him his job.

So, you know. Silver lining I guess.

2 hours ago, sne said:

Yes playing a right back on the wing at this stage would be very concerning. Fully expect Guilbert to be starting at right back by October.

Â