Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I'm surprised he isn't in the team given his performances in pre-season. I know some people rate Elmo, but he isn't particularly good at anything, I would much rather Guilbert get a chance. He looks to have some real potential.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

He probably isn’t in the team because he can’t defend. 

We don’t see the behind the scenes, day to day work. He looked good pre season in an attacking capacity but looked a little suspect in defence.

sigh. 

This isn’t anything new though. It’s the same with Targett. By all accounts he is good offensively but questionable defensively - Which is why when we signed both I thought sure we would leak goals but at least pin back teams like Bournemouth etc bizarre really. 

19 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He probably isn’t in the team because he can’t defend. 

We don’t see the behind the scenes, day to day work. He looked good pre season in an attacking capacity but looked a little suspect in defence.

sigh. 

In pre-season he was pretty much playing that right wing on his own as Jota kept coming on the inside and not staying on the wing like a traditional winger so Fred has got to do a lot more in that set up than the Elmo-Trez set up.

I used to look at the likes of Elmo at Hull and Taylor at Swansea and think what bang average players they were; never the type of player you'd want at your club. That was about 7 or 8 years ago. Then we did sign them in the championship, fair enough, they did a job and we couldnt really be choosy. But if you have any ambition, im sorry, these 2 just arent good enough to be PL fullbacks in 2019.

Not sure if a guy who got relegated last year in France and someone who couldnt break into a struggling Saints side are the answer, but as an attacking force, at home especially, id like to give them a try.

I wouldn't mind having a look at him in a wide right role. He's got a great engine, good pace, can cross a ball and is a terrier in the tackle. He might add a bit more bite and a more natural right sided outlet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I wouldn't mind having a look at him in a wide right role. He's got a great engine, good pace, can cross a ball and is a terrier in the tackle. He might add a bit more bite and a more natural right sided outlet. 

He's played rb for his career. Coming to the hardest league in the world and you want him to play in a completely new position? Good right wingers struggle in this league, i dread to think how a converted right back with no prem experience or experience of the position would get on. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's played rb for his career. Coming to the hardest league in the world and you want him to play in a completely new position? Good right wingers struggle in this league, i dread to think how a converted right back with no prem experience or experience of the position would get on. 

Most of our players have never played in the Prem before. Most are new to the team. Most have probably played in several positions throughout their careers and are well versed in different positions. Certain players also transition to reaching their potential in positions unlikely earlier in their careers due to good coaching and hard work with obviously, quality. Also with good management foresight in seeing something in a players abilities that others haven't. How do you know that Guilbert isn't capable of making this transition? FWIW I'm not saying he can however don't be shortsighted in saying at this point he could never. How many players have found themselves in this same situation in the Prem?!  

Â