Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I know it is early... but i want say this ...

I'm glad that smith and suso go get him last janaury and sent loan back to Caen are genius "Masterstroke" move as if we go for him this summer he is more likely not move to us..

smash and grab move is likely best janaury transfer business for long time equal as loan mings! 

i couldn't imagine how many club will quote for him after his perform in last year season and friendly match show how he is good at attack and defence....

Marathan runner i wonder who fittest both Mcginn and Guilbert ? 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Haven't read all the comments, but seen a lot of love for this guy, which bodes well - but I was a little concerned defensively, especially in the opening period of last night's game.

I must say though, he looked very capable going forward, quick and looks to have a decent delivery on him.

Do people think he will start against Spurs? I have a feeling it may be Elmo.

I think Guilbert has already nailed down that right back spot, he’s been great so far for me. Elmo would be dominated in the Premier League in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Guilbert has already nailed down that right back spot, he’s been great so far for me. Elmo would be dominated in the Premier League in my opinion 

Captain of Egypt that just played in AFCON Elmo?

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Captain of Egypt that just played in AFCON Elmo?

He has pedigree, there’s no denying that but I think Guilbert already looks a huge upgrade. I thought Elmohamady at times struggled last season in The Championship, he will he back up this season in my opinion 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He has pedigree, there’s no denying that but I think Guilbert already looks a huge upgrade. I thought Elmohamady at times struggled last season in The Championship, he will he back up this season in my opinion 

I don't mind that but saying Elmo would be dominated is over the top 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

I think we are in good shape for right back now. Two strong players competing to start. Left back is a far bigger concern imho. Targett will start i assume by default, but if he gets injured with all the best will in the world, Neil Taylor doesnt seem Premier League quality to me, even in rotation.

16 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think we are in good shape for right back now. Two strong players competing to start. Left back is a far bigger concern imho. Targett will start i assume by default, but if he gets injured with all the best will in the world, Neil Taylor doesnt seem Premier League quality to me, even in rotation.

One for next summer I think. Think we can get away with it this season even though I’m still not 100% convinced on Targett.

I wonder if it’s something the academy can look at going forward though, I don’t think we have produced any decent full backs in recent years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Totally agree re: Taylor - he is the definition of 6 out 10 when playing at his absolute best. Never better than just above average, which as you say, is not good enough for the Premier League, so let's pray Targett doesn't get injured.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Kind of shocking that we have almost no decent youth players who are good enough to be back up or reserve options, particularly at LB. The few/handful that we have desperately need loan moves and full seasons at a lower level. We’ve released a fair few youngsters too.

I would’ve thought maybe Mitch Clark would’ve been at least decent for us but we let him go too.

Our Academy has been quite poor for a long while despite being fairly lauded a while ago...it’s poor, especially compared to other teams such as Southampton maybe.

Hopefully that won’t be the case for much longer since the recent changes we’ve made.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Hause

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you say that? Imagine him up against someone like Lucas Moura, it doesn’t bear thinking about 

You said dominated in the PL. We're not playing Spurs every week. Every dog has its day. Reo-Coker played Ronaldo out of the game once at RB from memory

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You said dominated in the PL. We're not playing Spurs every week. Every dog has its day. Reo-Coker played Ronaldo out of the game once at RB from memory

We’re not playing Spurs every week, no, we’re playing against other top quality opposition in the best league in the world. We took it for granted the last time we were in it, I don’t think we will this time. I remember that match, Reo-Coker was outstanding 

It's interesting that after watching him in 3 friendlies while people on here have been impressed, they have concerns about him defensively. His stats from last season suggested his style was more as a tough tackling defensively minded player rather than an attacker. He even played CB last season. It is going to take him a bit of time to bed in and get his positioning right within the system we play. His highlight reel shows a player who loves a sliding tackle (which is great) but also suggests perhaps he isn't always in the right position defensively. Having seen him, that might be because he gets up and down the pitch an incredible amount. Maybe the coaching team at Villa have been focusing on developing his attacking skills. Caen got relegated so he probably didn't focus on attacking that so much. One thing is for sure, he is a huge upgrade on Hutton!

He also looks like he will need some time to get used to the physicality of the English game but I think he will relish that aspect.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't mind that but saying Elmo would be dominated is over the top 

He would, he was tore apart by any pacy or skilful winger in the Championship

81:50 into the actual game, watch the ball from Lansbury out to Guilbert and the way he takes it down with his left foot - absolutely brilliant. 

Edited by Villarocker

11 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

81:50 into the actual game, watch the ball from Lansbury out to Guilbert and the way he takes it down with his left foot - absolutely brilliant. 

the who section of play immediately after that also is slick as hell in the lead up to McGinns goal, between Guilbert, Jota & Grealish.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Â