Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Tough to judge a full back on a half each against Minnesota United and Shrewsbury. I'd like to see him defending against a top flight winger with movement coming from full back / midfield / striker.

My sense is that he'll be good going forward, but I reckon he possibly has some defensive weaknesses. Happy that we signed him, as he's a clear upgrade on Bree and Hutton, but not clear to me whether he'll be an upgrade on Elmo.

Edited by KentVillan

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

Impressed. Thought he stood out with RHM and Wesley yesterday.

Does he have a song yet? I'm not one for lyrics, but given the similarities in this last name, perhaps:

"He is the very model of a modern right back footballer"

Very good, a bit of Guilbert  (see what I did there) and Sullivan.

Lowton I always rate him even some people hate him and scrapgoat him all of the time.

I am sure guilbert will brilliant player. He keep impressive me every time I watch him player (beside first 5 mins Vs Shrewsbury) good things about him and he quick adopt to British football.

With big tackle in him so dribbler might got wrath by him to put mental pressure on dribbler beside only grealish can get away this .. 

Good thing about we have grealish so guilbert in training against him will improve his tackle and tradeskill and learn it. Along el ghazi now Hassan come there so more learn as all 3 different type dribblers. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Wish we had this kind of competition on the left side.

We don't. Targett is really competing against himself.

Hause played lb wouldn't be suprised to see him as no 2 behind targett.

Doubt we will ever play mings lb

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Hause played lb wouldn't be suprised to see him as no 2 behind targett.

Doubt we will ever play mings lb

Think it was because we were short in options at the time.

From what i've seen Smith doesn't like to play players out of position and i think it's really important to have 2 backup centre backs, they tend to get injured over a season.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

The obvious quality benchmark for any right back is Mattew Lowton v Sunderland in 2012 (I think) when we won 6-1.  If he can perform to that level, have that much impact in any of the games he plays I'll be delighted. 

For what it's worth, I've never seen a right back run an entire game in a 6-1 win, with your centre forward getting 3 goals and still being not being the best player on the pitch. 

It's a weird benchmark, considering Lowton hasn't gone on to do much, other become a solid player for Burnley, but **** me, he was special that night. 

I remember this game so well, it was my mates birthday and we literally bought tickets for it on a whim a few days before. Lowton and Gabby were absolutely immense in that game. That was the best right back performance I've ever seen so if Guilbert can put in a few even close to that he'll be one hell of a signing 

• Like 2

On 22/07/2019 at 12:48, lapal_fan said:

The obvious quality benchmark for any right back is Mattew Lowton v Sunderland in 2012 (I think) when we won 6-1. 

Is it really 7 years ago? I would have guessed 2015 or something. Feels like yesterday 

On 22/07/2019 at 11:48, lapal_fan said:

The obvious quality benchmark for any right back is Mattew Lowton v Sunderland in 2012 (I think) when we won 6-1.  If he can perform to that level, have that much impact in any of the games he plays I'll be delighted. 

For what it's worth, I've never seen a right back run an entire game in a 6-1 win, with your centre forward getting 3 goals and still being not being the best player on the pitch. 

It's a weird benchmark, considering Lowton hasn't gone on to do much, other become a solid player for Burnley, but **** me, he was special that night. 

Really weird you bring this up because I remember at the time how well he played. What a strange thing that all of what you mentioned happened and he was still MOTM.

On 22/07/2019 at 11:48, lapal_fan said:

Benteke was so class

• Like 1

I have no idea what the lads had before that match but everybody was absolutely fired up, Lowton's missus stopped him from developing into a top player though IMO. All that nonsense with him not moving like he was supposed to and being late to training etc. was so daft.

Guilbert looks a player and that Lowton performance should definitely be the benchmark, I do think Hutton was immense last season though. 

• Haha 1

Â