Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

100% this. 

"I'd pay £15m but not £20m for him" isn't really an understandable position anymore. They're basically the same number for all intents and purposes now. 

Yep, I guess it would be sort of like quibbling over half a million/million quid in the late 90’s, early 00’s.

And we know full well what it was like with an owner quibbling over that sort of figure around the turn of the century.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

We are absolutely weaker at the minute

Out

Tammy, Adomah, Mings, Axel, Hause, Hutton, Whelan and Jedinak from the first team squad on matchdays (even if Jedi didn't get many minutes)

A few more too that're unlikely to have made appearances either way.

In

El Ghazi (not an improvement, was already here)

Jota - hopefully an improvement on the Adomah we had this season.

Wesley - none of us know if he'll be as good as Tammy was for us. It's a big fee and we have hope/trust in Dean and Suso, but we have no clue.

Guilbert - technically as was on loan, hopefully he's an upgrade on Hutton but none of us have seen him either.

So assuming the two we haven't seen play come off. We still need 3 CBs and 2 Defensive midfielders to net out what we had last year.

To strengthen what we had, we'll then need a GK, a LB, a Winger, a Striker and maybe somebody to deputise to Jack. And if Guilbert was bought with the Championship in mind, potentially a RB. Lots to do. So we probably need to hurry up with the 'easy' / obvious ones like Mings and Hause

Edited by HalfTimePost

10 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep, I guess it would be sort of like quibbling over half a million/million quid in the late 90’s, early 00’s.

And we know full well what it was like with an owner quibbling over that sort of figure around the turn of the century.

Robbie Keane 😥

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

100% this. 

"I'd pay £15m but not £20m for him" isn't really an understandable position anymore. They're basically the same number for all intents and purposes now. 

Well to our Owners an extra 5 mill would be change, the money is there obviously so let's see the Mings and Hause transfers done.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Bournemouth paid 21 million euro for Solanke. Some people need to get their heads around how crazy the figures are now

Or how crazy Bournemouth are now

It’s way too early in the transfer window to be concluding a lot of business at the moment.

we’ll have a list if targets, and will move down the list accordingly.

choice 1 might be on holiday, or be weighing up options. Do we move on to choice 2,3, or even 4 because fans are getting a little panicky? No.

we wait for choice 1.

rather go for our top priorities at the end of the window than panic buy now.

Patience peeps!

Mings was really good for us bit I was watching a few games like the Wednesday game where he made some really bad mistakes.

Let's not forget he made errors like getting sent off vs Rotherham, have a pen to Sheffield Wednesday and did a really shocking lazy pass that led to a goal (I can't remember who that was against) 

I want him but he can make big mistakes and we certainly can't afford a huge volume of those above. I don't think we should en3 held to ransom either.

10 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah circa £5m today is 3 places in the league (5.4m) or 4 live games (4.8m) 

• Like 1

I wonder if, Bournemouth are playing silly beggars over Mings because both clubs are also in for butland.

I can imagine Bournemouth being small time enough to be like, ‘well you can have Mings for x amount but only if you pull out of the butland deal’.......can just imagine purslow shaking his head in bewilderment saying this just isn’t how things are done lads! 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

100% this. 

Can you lend me some money?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

If say the Hause transfer had been confirmed by the club and the Mings one not, then it would pretty much confirm that there are more hurdles in Mings's transfer. The fact that Hause is widely believed to have signed but the club haven't announced it means there is a chance that the Mings deal is also done, and they for whatever reason are waiting to announce them.  The logic works in my head, which isn't to say I'm making any sense.

I see, I can follow that. However, it could be equally true that Hause is not done, which I believe is the most likely reason. Honestly, I think these won’t be settled either way until the players return from holidays. There is no need to disrupt their breaks.  Which is what I guess your reasoning kind of alludes to. 

What is clear to me is that the Mings transfer does contain more huddles than Hause’s, which was a pre-arranged fee. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
Format

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Mings was really good for us bit I was watching a few games like the Wednesday game where he made some really bad mistakes.

Let's not forget he made errors like getting sent off vs Rotherham, have a pen to Sheffield Wednesday and did a really shocking lazy pass that led to a goal (I can't remember who that was against) 

I want him but he can make big mistakes and we certainly can't afford a huge volume of those above. I don't think we should en3 held to ransom either.

Why would you want to pick out the error's, such a strange point to make, he was an absolute rock for the most part. All the top teams have players who make mistakes it's human nature, if they want £25m for him then I say pay it. It's the going rate now specially if Palace are valuing Wan-Bissaka at £70m after 1 decent season (now that's being held to ransom) Dunk £30m 🤣 With us still only having Chester as a CB I think it should be priority getting Mings in and Hause.

Adding 20-30% onto 1 transfer to get it done might not be the biggest issue in history, but it adds up if you keep doing it.

£20m instead of £15m for Mings? Fine I guess, bit pricey for me.

£14m or £20m for Philips, £15m or£20m for Bennybanana £17 or £25m for Butland...

That's money for another signing right there, we have to be smart and don't act like lottery winners.

Think/hope we have the right people in to realize that this time.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, floody555 said:

Why would you want to pick out the error's, such a strange point to make, he was an absolute rock for the most part. All the top teams have players who make mistakes it's human nature, if they want £25m for him then I say pay it. It's the going rate now specially if Palace are valuing Wan-Bissaka at £70m after 1 decent season (now that's being held to ransom) Dunk £30m 🤣 With us still only having Chester as a CB I think it should be priority getting Mings in and Hause.

What is 'strange' about picking up on a defenders errors? You are aware he is a defender right so of course those mistakes will be highlighted.

Dunks quality not sure why your laughing at that. 

I agree we should get Hause  and kings but I don't think we should be playing stupid money for sale of it of it came down to it.

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What is 'strange' about picking up on a defenders errors? You are aware he is a defender right so of course those mistakes will be highlighted.

Dunks quality not sure why your laughing at that. 

I agree we should get Hause  and kings but I don't think we should be playing stupid money for sale of it of it came down to it.

You have to also remember he hadn't kicked a ball in anger for ages before he came to us and was expected to hit the ground running. You can expect a few errors in that situation, but for the most part he was an absolute beast. I doubt he would make as many mistakes next season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Nothing strange about it - you just have to put it in context:

- Trippier's horrible back pass vs Chelsea that lost spurs the game.

- Van Dijk's error against Fulham that put Liverpool behind.

- David Luiz... well... take your pick :trollface:

Point being, all defenders make mistakes - even those that would cost more than double the price of Mings. His positives far outweigh any mistakes he brings.

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

getting abit worried about the lack of movement on this. 

I wouldn’t worry about the general lack of noise for this transfer or any others. The Hause deal has looked like a nailed on certainty since the before the play offs and has only just been confirmed.

Â