Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

On 12/05/2019 at 09:50, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Its a very good sign that we were admittedly under-par and so many had uncharacteristic off-days yet we still had 70% posession and 21 shots while overturning a deficit into a lead 😎 

Watching that game, I felt we weren't playing at a high enough tempo - hence we looked too casual - and that's why we were making unforced errors, we weren't "in the zone". Maybe the players were holding something back knowing there was another game coming on Tuesday night, keeping something in reserve? 

With two weeks until the play-off final, I'm expecting our lads to play at a higher tempo tonight and to give their all. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Watching that game, I felt we weren't playing at a high enough tempo - hence we looked too casual - and that's why we were making unforced errors, we weren't "in the zone". Maybe the players were holding something back knowing there was another game coming on Tuesday night, keeping something in reserve? 

With two weeks until the play-off final, I'm expecting our lads to play at a higher tempo tonight and to give their all. 

It can be difficult in pressure games against a team that has parked the bus. Look at City against Burnley and Leicester. They kept having to try and force it leading to misplaced paces and errors. Frustration kicks in but you have to remain patient and just keep probing.

Tonight there should be so much more space for us to play our game. 

Edit: in the past we would have resorted to aimlessing crossing the ball at any opportunity. Food and drink for the Albion defence. 

Also just realised this is the Mings thread! Really need him on his game tonight. Especially the first 10-15 minutes.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

This. We lacked tempo the entire match and there was very little movement off ball at times. For some reason we started hoofing it and playing straight into the hands of albion. That's what they wanted. 

We just got to keep the ball on the pitch, increase the tempo and let the football do the talking. If we play it wide I hope the crosses can come in flat and low. If we avoid hoofing it, it will be to our advantage. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I never understood why he seems to always play in the Championship. Whenever he played he seemed to score. I remember him scoring a cracker against us in the top flight. 

Maybe he just prefers playing down here and gets a Premier League wage to go with it.

As for Mings he looks like a Premier League defender. Hopefully we find out next season with him as our player.

I've just totalled it up. He has 21 goals in 4,704 minutes in the Prem. A goal every 224 minutes. 

Not bad for somebody who only started 50 games. One for the transfer thread, but I would personally be happy with Tammy and Gayle as a strikeforce in the Premier League season one should we make it. 

Wasn't his best game but he still organised the back 4 to keep a clean sheet (I'm discounting the goal as it was not a back 4 error in any way)

I think people have overlooked how key he was in stopping Gayle slotting in the rebound from Steer's save.

Possibly too casual in games, but that comes from playing against poor teams in recent weeks. I imagine he will have learnt from this and be a lot more switched on tonight.

Having a player like Mings at the back is a huge calming factor in the side and allows the defence to hold onto the ball and look to distribute the ball out in a smart fashion from the back. Over recent seasons we have been so poor at this, launching the ball forward at every opportunity or making ridiculous errors to concede goals.

• Like 1

Great to see a player connect so much to a club that doesn't own him. I don't think he was at his best over the semi final, although after a shaky first 30 minutes he did ok tonight. Was certainly a foul on him before their goal.

He was our best outfield player on the pitch tonight imo. He dragged us through some of that almost single-handedly at times. Kept his head. Drove us forward at times. Dragging McGinn away from Brunt when he was rightly enraged. Goal-line clearance. Absolute boss.

I've never seen a loanee I've wanted us to purchase more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This. We lacked tempo the entire match and there was very little movement off ball at times. For some reason we started hoofing it and playing straight into the hands of albion. That's what they wanted. 

We just got to keep the ball on the pitch, increase the tempo and let the football do the talking. If we play it wide I hope the crosses can come in flat and low. If we avoid hoofing it, it will be to our advantage. 

Seems we did this again tonight :)

• Like 1

Massively impressive. He never loses his cool it seems. Even when the defence had that period where everyone seemed desperate to drop a clanger, even when he's having to do last ditch tackles or when he's being rushed down and pressured, he looks completely composed.

Good on the ball, good at the bread and butter defending, good in the air, athletic. He's superb. A priority signing.

He's an inspiration for sure, what a player couldn't fault anything he did and kept us solid when at times we made what could of been some costly errors.

Let's not get carried away, I love Mings and think he's up there with some of our best ever loan signings, but the first leg he was horrific and tonight he made plenty of mistakes, especially in the first half. He was slightly above a lot of them but surprisingly poor by his own standards. He gave the ball away very cheaply a few times, one was nearly a Whelen error repeat. The handball for yellow was embarrassing and he has to be stronger when defending what led to the corner/throw in sequence that resulted in their goal.

I think he's fantastic but tonight he was a 5 or 6 out of ten.

• Like 2

It's a pleasure watching Mings and Tzuanebe handle the ball. Always control even when pressured. Makes a quite stark comparison to a few of the other CBs we've had during later years.

anyone rewatched his "injury" at the end?

Looks like he stood on one of their players, thought shit i'm off here so had better roll around to make it look like i am injured.

Forgot to go and have another look last night but watching it live and the replays it looked that way to me rather than he had twisted anything/fell awkwardly like the way he was holding his knee implied

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

It's a pleasure watching Mings and Tzuanebe handle the ball. Always control even when pressured. Makes a quite stark comparison to a few of the other CBs we've had during later years.

Clark & Baker for example? 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

anyone rewatched his "injury" at the end?

Looks like he stood on one of their players, thought shit i'm off here so had better roll around to make it look like i am injured.

Forgot to go and have another look last night but watching it live and the replays it looked that way to me rather than he had twisted anything/fell awkwardly like the way he was holding his knee implied

It was a knee to Dawson’s head and I thought the exact same thing. Looked accidental but given his reputation, and with reffing mentality of evening the odds, looked like he feigned the severity.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Â