Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Can someone shed some light on why Mings would stand goal side of the attacker when they're countering? I'm stunned.

He was watching the game and not the man unfortunately. It was a great break regardless, simply caught out by a better team. 

Edited by birdman

17 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Can someone shed some light on why Mings would stand goal side of the attacker when they're countering? I'm stunned.

I think he steps up the midfielder whoever it was, he's drawn in to him because it's an obvious piss easy 10 yard pass that's very Man City 

Theres 2 problems with that... Firstly he's not getting anywhere near that man, secondly just let him have it there, he's not the danger, he'd have been completely unmarked and could have countered but he'd still have had 3/4 of the pitch to run

He cannot win that ball, drop off and let him have it

Instead he steps up and they ping it over the top of him, made that look piss easy too but it was mings who made it obvious 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm growing increasingly tired of him just aimlessly hoofing it every time he has the ball

Only three Villa players had a higher passing accuracy than him tonight.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm growing increasingly tired of him just aimlessly hoofing it every time he has the ball

Today that was the best thing for him to do, especially in the first half. Every attempt to build something from the back was a disaster. 

Another good game from him, we have no-one else to win headers on either end.

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

Was just him Konsa back, McGinn helped. Full backs were nowhere at the time

Silva was McGinn’s man and he let him run off the back. He was 10metres away before McGinn realised he’d gone. Three on three turned into 2 on Konsa. As mings pushed onto other before realising he had to drop, because McGinn wasn’t tracking his runner. If you don’t track runners against city you’re dead as they move and move and move. We can’t afford lapses in concentration like this, but it had nothing to do with mings positioning as far as I can see it. 

7 hours ago, May-Z said:

Something wasn't quite right about our set up on the break from City's second, but I don't think that's down to just Mings.

He was good tonight. Very good in fact.

Watch it again when the ball breaks free and Fernandinho gets it and plays the forward pass.

In that moment, the closest Villa player to the loose ball is Targett. But he second guesses himself, backs off to cover a possible small pass. That gave Fernandinho the time and space to find the through ball.

Just a couple of steps forward from Targett towards the loose ball - a bit of desire, a bit of belief, a bit of conviction - and it blocks the opportunity for the long ball.

Small things like that can turn a game.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Watch it again when the ball breaks free and Fernandinho gets it and plays the forward pass.

In that moment, the closest Villa player to the loose ball is Targett. But he second guesses himself, backs off to cover a possible small pass. That gave Fernandinho the time and space to find the through ball.

Just a couple of steps forward from Targett towards the loose ball - a bit of desire, a bit of belief, a bit of conviction - and it blocks the opportunity for the long ball.

hadnt spotted targett and what he does but agree on the possible small pass, its cancelo he's wide open for an easy 10 yard pass and its such an obvious man city pass that its what i think has got mings too

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There are a few times where I actually wished he would just hoof it.

Yesterday was one of those games. I don't see what he did wrong yesterday if I'm honest.

I've been a critic in the past as well, but I'm liking his attitude and leadership these days.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There are a few times where I actually wished he would just hoof it.

Yesterday was one of those games. I don't see what he did wrong yesterday if I'm honest.

I've been a critic in the past as well, but I'm liking his attitude and leadership these days.

I thought generally he was quite good yesterday. I think he was caught out for their second goal but overall it was a good performance.

The hoofing thing is just something that annoys me

11 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Will have a look to see what you're describing. 

I actually think Luiz maybe could have given a free kick away to kill the break before Fernandinho reviews the ball.

Â