Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Stones doesn't have to defend because Man City normally have 65%+ possession. When he does have to defend its usually against a sporadic attack. Same with Maguire.

Look at Mings for England never looks troubled. Clean sheets for the last few games he has played dating back to the Euro's maybe before that too but I can't remember.

I believe you are on to something here.....Its a feasible explanation.

I am not saying he is blameless, but too exposed for me....Ty is not gifted with the ball control of say Van Dijk or even Maguire, so we should factor that in, when we set up.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Stones doesn't have to defend because Man City normally have 65%+ possession. When he does have to defend its usually against a sporadic attack. Same with Maguire.

Look at Mings for England never looks troubled. Clean sheets for the last few games he has played dating back to the Euro's maybe before that too but I can't remember.

Brilliant thinking, doubt anyone ever takes this in to consideration.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I disagree with this because we had lots of chances that we should have scored. Mendy's keeping however was sublime. Jorginho was good coupled with the second goal that nullified us a bit. But we still had good chances in the second half too.

Mendy is a part of the defending.....Silva was as sharp as a razor in blocking and cutting out threats, their discipline at forming a line, when we was in the ascendency, was impressive, too.

On another day, facing a less impressive back line, we would have scored IMO.....we did a lot of offensive work, we was good value in many things we did.....Chelsea had a few counters and undone us.

Had we had the defensive capabilty, they did, we would have got a point imo.....That is no way criticising the plucky way we took the game to them.

Much credit has to go to Aston Villa in my book ( trying to keep a lid on my bias) they made a spectacle of it...it was never a typical 3-0 defeat....arguably the best 3-0 reversal, I have ever seen from us.

That is in no way condoning defeats as ok, because you start that game and you are toast.....but there was plenty of positives to take home with us.

But..........We have to start picking up points, don't care how we do it.... we don't want to start getting cut adrift, don't matter, who we play, we can't gift them goals....Chelsea, was a tough encounter,and a bit of slack required,  but we conceded poorly against Watford and Brentford, it has to be rooted out.

We have to go in to the Man U game looking for something, no matter how daunting the task....its no good, looking to the so called lesser teams for solace, we have to seek points in every game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree with that. But I would also ask, Can we do better than Mings? and I believe the answer to that is Yes

you could say that for practically the whole team though. currently for where we are as a team we are blessed to have a player of the quality of Mings in the team imo.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

this is going round in a circle...

Ben white was £50m and is behind mings in the england set up

i'd love to know who the better player is that us in 11th last season could buy 

we're not there yet, we wont be there next summer either

Yeah but blah blah blah accounting profit blah blah blah Mings is old.

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

you could say that for practically the whole team though. currently for where we are as a team we are blessed to have a player of the quality of Mings in the team imo.

I agree completely. But isn't the plan for us to move into competing for European positions. To do that I think we need to improve our overall quality and particularly at the back. And due to Mings age and length of time at Villa it would make most financial sense to sell him next summer. We need him with us this season but to move up I think we need better.

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree completely. But isn't the plan for us to move into competing for European positions. To do that I think we need to improve our overall quality and particularly at the back. And due to Mings age and length of time at Villa it would make most financial sense to sell him next summer. We need him with us this season but to move up I think we need better.

I don't really agree. He is our captain and a phenomenal leader on the pitch. He does have a mistake in him, but he plays in a position where this is more common and leads to more serious consequences. Tons of other quality defenders do this too. As others have already mentioned he more than makes up for this with other qualities. I think that strengthening the midfield and wide defensive positions would be higher on the list than replacing Mings. 

There are plenty of less important players we could make a profit on if that's the kicker to why you would get rid. We don't need to make a profit on every player too to get by financially.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Someone put this lovely lowlight reel together. I love Tyrone, but he really needs to cut out all these errors. Seems he’ll never iron them out his game

The youtube highlights of Tonev made him look decent.

This is a highlight reel in reverse. I could make Christiano Ronaldo look bad with one of those.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Mendy is a part of the defending.....Silva was as sharp as a razor in blocking and cutting out threats, their discipline at forming a line, when we was in the ascendency, was impressive, too.

On another day, facing a less impressive back line, we would have scored IMO.....we did a lot of offensive work, we was good value in many things we did.....Chelsea had a few counters and undone us.

Had we had the defensive capabilty, they did, we would have got a point imo.....That is no way criticising the plucky way we took the game to them.

Much credit has to go to Aston Villa in my book ( trying to keep a lid on my bias) they made a spectacle of it...it was never a typical 3-0 defeat....arguably the best 3-0 reversal, I have ever seen from us.

That is in no way condoning defeats as ok, because you start that game and you are toast.....but there was plenty of positives to take home with us.

But..........We have to start picking up points, don't care how we do it.... we don't want to start getting cut adrift, don't matter, who we play, we can't gift them goals....Chelsea, was a tough encounter,and a bit of slack required,  but we conceded poorly against Watford and Brentford, it has to be rooted out.

We have to go in to the Man U game looking for something, no matter how daunting the task....its no good, looking to the so called lesser teams for solace, we have to seek points in every game.

Yes a good performance but we still lost 3-0. I don't like 3 at the back but understood why he went with that formation. He will go back to back 4 against Everton. We need to win that!

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

This is a highlight reel in reverse. I could make Christiano Ronaldo look bad with one of those.

Its different for a defender. When an attacking player makes a mistake as they so often do, the other team gets the ball and there's not so much in the way of direct consequences. You're going to get lots of "lowlights" for any attacking player. Defender mistakes happen less and when they do, the consequences can be disastrous. This is even worse for goalkeepers.

I'd go so far as to say attackers are judged by what they do(scoring goals, assiting etc), but defenders and goalkeepers are judged.more but what they don't do(in terms of mistakes and errors).

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Seriously, what a joke. You could build a lowlight reel 10 minutes long of any elite striker missing chance after chance after chance. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Seriously, what a joke. You could build a lowlight reel 10 minutes long of any elite striker missing chance after chance after chance. 

Like Mane yesterday, got his goal but it took about 20 shots in an utterly dominant display.

58 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Someone put this lovely lowlight reel together. I love Tyrone, but he really needs to cut out all these errors. Seems he’ll never iron them out his game

One of the worst 'Villa' accounts out there. 

But. 

Mings does make a lot of mistakes. I do worry about him when he's on the ball and what he'll do next 😞

Highlight and lowlight reals are crap and any clips can be edited to make a player look better or worse.

A mings highlight real could make him look like the world's best defender.

He's sound enough for us until the time is absolutely right for someone else to take over.

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

Exactly.

For some reason, Mings just seems to get it in the neck a lot more and it really isn't fair tbh. Fans have their favourites, though, I suppose.

It's because of the nature of the mistakes. For some reason, switching off at the backpost seems more palatable to fans than underhit backpasses or being caught in possession.

Â