Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Christ, you literally replied to me demanding data about how many mistakes he's made. Quite happy to ignore you from here on in. Up the Mings.

You said he made 4 mistakes in 89 games. That sounds like complete BS to me and you say I have an agenda LOL

I said in August that I thought Mings, Luiz and McGinn would need to have a decent season or they would have to look over their shoulder, I still think this is the case. I note that McGinn and Luiz both look improved this season already. I don’t think the Captains armband means much, I am certain we will look to improve our defensive game next summer and that would be a DM and Centreback. If we are going to spend big, that’s an area that would provide the biggest gain for us.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I note that McGinn and Luiz both look improved this season already.

I agree, it is very good to see. Particularly McGinn. He looked so promising and then since his ankle injury he wasn't the same player. But I like his recent form for Scotland and now he is starting to look like his old self for Villa. If we can get him performing as a lot of us think he can perform he will be a huge positive for us 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Sacking Lange for that would be very harsh, I think CP has more sense than to be that stupid 

They've both got more sense than to start selling players willy nilly thankfully.

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We should sell McGinn and buy someone better for £3m.

If Lange can't do it, sack him.

😂 I like this meme. 

Sell Martinez for £60 million and find someone better.  If Lange can't do it, sack him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

😂 I like this meme. 

Sell Martinez for £60 million and find someone better.  If Lange can't do it, sack him. 

That's the plan!

Hope no one else cottons on.

Just sell your players and buy better ones.

• Haha 1

All this ignores that of we want to improve on Mings in any significant manner we'll need to a.) break the bank, because these players don't come cheaply and b.) convince a player who likely plays European football to play for Aston Villa. I'd say we're a ways away from realistically achieving this. He's perfectly good enough for us until we get to that stage.

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

All this ignores that of we want to improve on Mings in any significant manner we'll need to a.) break the bank, because these players don't come cheaply and b.) convince a player who likely plays European football to play for Aston Villa. I'd say we're a ways away from realistically achieving this. He's perfectly good enough for us until we get to that stage.

the centre backs from the teams that didnt make Europe last season. Luiz, Pablo Mari, Holding, Keane, Mina, Godfrey. Llorente, Cooper, White, Dunk, Webster, Coady, Cahill, Lascelles, Clark

hardly huge upgrades floating about

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think we need to break the bank. People like to use the Ben White signing as an example of how much money we would need to spend but we already have an example of the opposite in Konsa who cost only 10 million and we managed to tempt him to come to us way before European football seemed like a possibility. Players like these are out there and I'm sure there are players who are or who have the potential to be significantly better than Mings who would come to us for non-ridiculous fees.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think we need to break the bank. People like to use the Ben White signing as an example of how much money we would need to spend but we already have an example of the opposite in Konsa who cost only 10 million and we managed to tempt him to come to us way before European football seemed like a possibility. Players like these are out there and I'm sure there are players who are or who have the potential to be significantly better than Mings who would come to us for non-ridiculous fees.

When you're trying to improve on a position you don't buy someone who potentially could be better at some indeterminable point in the future though, you buy someone who's better now. Like we did with Watkins, Bailey, Buendia etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not sure that's a good thing.

If you are having to do last ditch tackles/blocks it means you have not properly dealt with the initial attack.

The best defenders doesn't even have to make a lot of tackles because of fantastic positioning, anticipation and interception.

Maldini famously said "If I have to make a tackle I have already made a mistake"

Haha. 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not sure that's a good thing.

If you are having to do last ditch tackles/blocks it means you have not properly dealt with the initial attack.

The best defenders doesn't even have to make a lot of tackles because of fantastic positioning, anticipation and interception.

Maldini famously said "If I have to make a tackle I have already made a mistake"

Our own 'God', McGrath was of similar approach to the game. That's how quality defenders play

• Like 1

Â