Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

You don't know what would have happened if he didn't make that mistake.

1-0 and it's a different game.

I know that, once we conceded the first, we were never winning Yesterday as our finishing wasn't good enough.

I'm well aware of the difference between 1 and 2, without needing punditry clichés.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If he keeps making these mistakes every season that's a 6-7 points dropped potentially.

Could be the difference between making top 6 or not.

What about Ollies 1st touch more than once yesterday, Lukaku scores Ollies opportunity yesterday, we should have been 1/2 up before they scored, our defence needs Martinez, period.

It was a poor error for the second goal, but bad passes happen. For me, his error on the third goal was probably worse as it was bad defending - you don’t get beaten there, but I wonder if he was mindful of already being on a yellow as he seemed to pull out of making a challenge.

I put it down to a bad day at the office, for me his positives still outweigh the negatives.

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

What about Ollies 1st touch more than once yesterday, Lukaku scores Ollies opportunity yesterday, we should have been 1/2 up before they scored, our defence needs Martinez, period.

Funny how conceding a goal is jumped on much more than not scoring at the other end. I see little difference. You have to improve both areas. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, birdman said:

Funny how conceding a goal is jumped on much more than not scoring at the other end. I see little difference. You have to improve both areas. 

Correct, its a team game and for 50 minutes we were better then the best. Rome wasn't built in a day but I'm confident we will improve on last year and that's with losing losing the best player we've had for a generation. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

, our defence needs Martinez, period

Yes, we need Martinez. But we also need better quality defenders. Our GK and help us win games but if he is also required to cover up the cracks in the defence we will concede more goals than necessary.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes, we need Martinez. But we also need better quality defenders. Our GK and help us win games but if he is also required to cover up the cracks in the defence we will concede more goals than necessary.

As I just mentioned in that other reply, that extra quality includes consistency too, Targett and Cash are not up to speed with their versions of themselves from last year yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Strange, still haven't seen any of the really critical fans admit they were wrong to have a go at him for that city game.

He's literally never been wrongly criticised though so this just can't have happened.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Poor mistake but we move on, can happen to the best of defenders.

Maguire for example made a huge mistake yesterday for Newcastle goal it happens 

But is happens far less frequently to the better players. Elimination of mistakes is a huge part of what makes a great player great. 

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But is happens far less frequently to the better players. Elimination of mistakes is a huge part of what makes a great player great. 

But does a version of Mings that rarely makes mistakes play for a club like Aston Villa?

7 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

But does a version of Mings that rarely makes mistakes play for a club like Aston Villa?

Suggesting that we can't get better than Mings is a fruitless argument. I wholeheartedly disagree. For example, Konsa is a better CB albeit not left footed. It is up to Lange and Co to find the right person but it is imo naive to believe that better doesn't exist

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Suggesting that we can't get better than Mings is a fruitless argument. I wholeheartedly disagree. For example, Konsa is a better CB albeit not left footed. It is up to Lange and Co to find the right person but it is imo naive to believe that better doesn't exist

But that wasn’t what I asked mate.

I like Ty and think he offers priceless leadership and communication, but his concentration levels are poor. Makes too many errors across a season.

In fact out of all our defenders the player I trust the most is Konsa. God knows why beaky won't pick him for England. 

Is it just me but do we only buy defenders that are English and have played for Smith before? Our scouting seems non-existent in this area.

Truth is we need to start targeting a higher calibre of defender, not just at CB but also at FB. We have likeable defenders who always put a shift in, but who are not quite at the level we need them to be at IMO if we are to break top 6. 

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I like Ty and think he offers priceless leadership and communication, but his concentration levels are poor. Makes too many errors across a season.

In fact out of all our defenders the player I trust the most is Konsa. God knows why beaky won't pick him for England. 

Is it just me but do we only buy defenders that are English and have played for Smith before? Our scouting seems non-existent in this area.

Truth is we need to start targeting a higher calibre of defender, not just at CB but also at FB. We have likeable defenders who always put a shift in, but who are not quite at the level we need them to be at IMO if we are to break top 6. 

Agreed, but we haven't upgraded our defenders is quite a while. All of our current defenders came in when we were forced to buy a new team and couldn't splash too much cash on a single player. They are all doing a good job but Konsa is clearly the standout performer and has the ability to move up a level. The same way we have significantly upgraded our attacking players with expensive quality, we need to do this to our defence and get some real quality to play with Konsa and Martinez

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Agreed, but we haven't upgraded our defenders is quite a while. All of our current defenders came in when we were forced to buy a new team and couldn't splash too much cash on a single player. They are all doing a good job but Konsa is clearly the standout performer and has the ability to move up a level. The same way we have significantly upgraded our attacking players with expensive quality, we need to do this to our defence and get some real quality to play with Konsa and Martinez

We signed Cash last summer with Emi

@Peter Griffin Konsa is a cracking defender no doubt, but what we don’t know yet is whether he can lead our defence. That is not a knock on Ezri, he has not had the opportunity to prove this as he has not had a prolonged spell in defence without Tyrone bar the odd game. Tyrone is the leader of our defence, mistakes and all, and he’s a bloody good one.

To answer your questions, a club like Villa is a mid table club which in fairness we only barely have the rights to call ourselves even that, as we have finished mid table in the PL once in the last 10 years. I said a version of Mings that doesn’t make mistakes, for me of Mings didn’t make the occasional errors that he does for us, then he plays for a top 6 club simple as that.

Edited by Woody1000

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yep, for me Konsa and Martinez are the top dogs in our defence. Every other player can be improved upon, including Mings.

As I said, Konsa not being picked for England is silly. if I were him I'd declare for Portugal, they'd actually pick him to start too. 

We have depth in midfield and up front, I'm not sure why we can't have the same in defence.

It's almost like Smith doesn't want to tread on any of his current first choice defenders' toes. As you say, we haven't really invested anything in this area apart from bringing in Cash last summer when we just scraped survival.

Â