Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Since the beginning of last season he's been referred to as a "donkey" and "arrogant" on a time where nobody else has, particularly on this forum, nevermind beyond.  If that is to refuse to acknowledge his mistakes then coloure me guilty  but fair play to anyone refusing to acknowledge otherwise. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Awful mistake. Decent game otherwise.

Good player. Very good Captain. Great man.

♥️

This is nail on head for me.

He's good, he's at our level, he's a role model off the pitch, and he is an inspirational captain. Those non-player elements give him a bit of leeway, and so they should for the time being. We wouldn't be challenging for champions league with JUST someone better than him anyway.

He could be better and more consistent, but if he was he would be playing for a champions league team already. Either he needs to improve his consistency and reduce those fairly serious occasional mistakes, or we need to upgrade him if we want to progress. But for where we are, those 5 or so mistakes per season are par for the course when he gives you a massive performance otherwise.

• Like 1

He isn't average and he isn't top either. There's plenty of room between those descriptions. He's above average.

We've only had two truly world-class players in recent times: Grealish and (maybe) Martinez (who also makes the occasional bad error). Above average describes much of the rest of the team.

If we can sign two centre backs like Dias, Thiago Silva (brilliant today), Chiellini, Van Dijk, Stones, Maguire, then great, let's have Konsa and Mings sit on the bench as cover.

Until then, they're good enough for us to take the next step forward. Then hopefully we'll be in a position to start attracting a few truly world class players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

He isn't average and he isn't top either. There's plenty of room between those descriptions. He's above average.

We've only had two truly world-class players in recent times: Grealish and (maybe) Martinez (who also makes the occasional bad error). Above average describes much of the rest of the team.

If we can sign two centre backs like Dias, Thiago Silva (brilliant today), Chiellini, Van Dijk, Stones, Maguire, then great, let's have Konsa and Mings sit on the bench as cover.

Until then, they're good enough for us to take the next step forward. Then hopefully we'll be in a position to start attracting a few truly world class players.

Tbf even if we signed all of those, Konsa would still be starting alongside van Dijk ;)

As good as he may be, Martinez isn't world class. At least can't be considered so yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's weird because he cost us a goal but then I think if he played centrally rather than Axel we may have dealt with Lukaku a bit better.  Not that he did much other than score twice mind you.  It just seemed a bit odd that the junior of the 3 played in the middle, we could have played Hause on the left and I'd have fancied him to score one of Mings's or Konsa's chances in the box.

I'd have thought Konsa in the middle would've made the most sense. Mings was a LB so the LCB makes sense. Whilst Konsa and Axel have both filled in at RB in their careers, Axel has played there the most by far and Konsa is the most experienced CB of the two. Not to mention a better partnership and understanding with Mings.

Mings-Konsa-Axel for me

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Okonokos said:

The pass from Tuanzebe to Mings was probably worse than Mings' to Steer but it won't get picked up on.

Absolutely no chance.

He let it across his body because sometimes he's too casual. Then he shat himself and gave a crap backpass. All on Tyrone that one sadly.

Could be inventing this, but I swear he makes these gaffs more when he's captain. Don't know if it puts him off or something.

You can see them coming as well which is annoying. He's a very strange mix of fairly elegant, but technically poor on the ball. Can't think of many times I've seen that combination.

Getting rinsed on the second was so so poor. Honestly annoyed me more. Just a mess. Made a couple of bad decisions in quick succession and just got stuck going too quickly in a kamikaze challenge. Shame, we played well today and didn't deserve to lose 3-0. 

Not really much we can do because he's one of our best two CBs and captain. He just, again, needs to do his best to concentrate better.

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again because I honestly believe it is the case, had Mings not had that half a season with us in the Championship where he was immense he would be viewed very differently by our fan base.

I think that spell and to an extent how he has conducted himself as a Villa player papers over the cracks in his game. 

At times, particularly when the ball is in front of him to win he is immense. At other times he makes utterly needless mistakes.

Today he cost us the second goal with a lapse of concentration followed by a woefully short back pass when totally off balance, those trying to shift focus or a portion of the blame onto Steer are kidding themselves.

On the third Mings had no choice but to go out and press the ball but if you commit yourself as fully as he did you either need to get the ball or stop the man. Being beat so easily was to me as big a mistake as the second goal.

Had Mings joined us in the Premier League I honestly think he would be viewed very differently, he is miles off the level of Konsa but gets picked for England ahead of him because he plays on the left.

The defeat today isn't all on him, far from it but it was the sort of performance we see from him far more often than a very big chunk of our fanbase are willing to accept.

Agreed completely.

I'll also add that the way Villa fans views Mings and the way the wider premier league fanbase views Mings is night and day. Whether that's an indication that our fanbase is overrating him or that everyone else is underrating him is another issue(although I personally think its a mix of both), but I do think that the strong negative response towards Mings by others fans makes our fans more defensive of him. We want him to succeed to show them that they're wrong. So we subconciously perceive his game to be better than it actually is. Same thing happened with him being "overpriced". We wanted him to succeed to prove to others that we weren't wrong Bouremouth that fee. On the topic of his fee, jesus christ the amounts of money being suggested if he were to be sold are an absolute joke.

People only really see what they want to see. They'd rather see this mistake here in other players like Steer and Tuanzebe which I think is just absolutely ridiculous. I didn't even notice Steer being at fault here and Tuanzebe definitely contributed to it but Mings was completely the main culprit. I don't think people realize how big of an effect this bias has on our perception but its very very real. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again because I honestly believe it is the case, had Mings not had that half a season with us in the Championship where he was immense he would be viewed very differently by our fan base.

I think that spell and to an extent how he has conducted himself as a Villa player papers over the cracks in his game. 

At times, particularly when the ball is in front of him to win he is immense. At other times he makes utterly needless mistakes.

Today he cost us the second goal with a lapse of concentration followed by a woefully short back pass when totally off balance, those trying to shift focus or a portion of the blame onto Steer are kidding themselves.

On the third Mings had no choice but to go out and press the ball but if you commit yourself as fully as he did you either need to get the ball or stop the man. Being beat so easily was to me as big a mistake as the second goal.

Had Mings joined us in the Premier League I honestly think he would be viewed very differently, he is miles off the level of Konsa but gets picked for England ahead of him because he plays on the left.

The defeat today isn't all on him, far from it but it was the sort of performance we see from him far more often than a very big chunk of our fanbase are willing to accept.

I think your last line is your undoing here, Trent.

If that performance against Chelsea was "the sort of performance we see from him far more often" then he's not only got the fanbase fooled. He's managed to fool Southgate. He's managed to fool Dean Smith. Heck, he's even managed to fool the stats from last season that show we allegedly* lose far more than we win when he's not in the team

*I can't find stats to back this up, but believe it's 2 wins from 12 games without Mings

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

If that performance against Chelsea was "the sort of performance we see from him far more often" then he's not only got the fanbase fooled. He's managed to fool Southgate. He's managed to fool Dean Smith. Heck, he's even managed to fool the stats from last season that show we allegedly* lose far more than we win when he's not in the team

*I can't find stats to back this up, but believe it's 2 wins from 12 games without Mings

Fooling a fanbase isn't that difficult. Fanbases collectively underrate or overrate players all the time. Remember when Lyon fans swore up and down that Bertrand Traore was the worst thing to ever step on the football pitch?

Fooling Southgate isn't difficult. Its Gareth Southgate for christ's sake. The man who thought arguably England's best player last season didn't deserve to start for them in the euros. And its not like the England squad is teeming with quality left-footed CB options nor is he first choice or anywhere near to threatening Maguire's spot.

We don't know how highly Smith rates Mings. There's never been a good enough left-footed CB in the squad to properly challenge him for the position. There's been more important positions in the squad to reinforce these past couple of years. No one is saying Mings isn't good enough to start for us, just that he's no where near as good as the fanbase makes him out to be. Us losing a lot more without Mings than with him doesn't mean that Mings is an amazing CB. It means that Mings is simply much better than our other options which I don't think even the most ardent Mings critic denies at this point. Hause, his direct competition was a disaster on the ball at times 2 seasons ago which is likely where that 2 wins from 12 games stat comes from if true. It couldn't have been last season because Mings played almost every game last season and I remember we did okay the couple of games without him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

I think Mings can't help him self making these amateur mistakes and it costs us points, we need someone better as soon as we can upgrade him and highlight someone who can come in and do what he does but without those mistakes.

Thing is everyone singing his praise yet to be a successful team you have to stop these mistakes and theres no way Mings is going to do that now. It's no different to what AEG does at other end of the pitch who defensively bad a d who loses the ball, here we have two players innings and AEG that the club and squad has to move on from to progress.

It's so funny reading some of these ridiculous posts. It's almost like a healing circle jerk in here. People beating off their frustrations that some fans just choose not to define Mings by his mistakes. Any objective fan sees he's a solid CB but will never be one of the top CBs in this league with the amount of awful mistakes he makes.

And to @TrentVillafor thinking Konsa is "far superior" at this point... 

11ab070e67b5042d319f75eb6e20e28e0817e6db

Thanks for the laugh, good buddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

It's so funny reading some of these ridiculous posts. It's almost like a healing circle jerk in here. People beating off their frustrations that some fans just choose not to define Mings by his mistakes. Any objective fan sees he's a solid CB but will never be one of the top CBs in this league with the amount of awful mistakes he makes.

And to @TrentVillafor thinking Konsa is "far superior" at this point... 

11ab070e67b5042d319f75eb6e20e28e0817e6db

Thanks for the laugh, good buddy.

Laugh all you want, you are still wrong.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

No, it isn’t it is totally accurate.

Southgate has a limited number of CB’s to pick from even less that are left footed. He is one of England’s best left footed CB’s.

I don’t think Smith or Southgate are fooled, I think they see his strengths and his weaknesses.

If he has people fooled its a section of Villa fans who don’t.

Strange, still haven't seen any of the really critical fans admit they were wrong to have a go at him for that city game. No surprises that they jump at the chance to double down when he actually does make a mistake. 

Also ridiculously quiet when he has a great game, which is far more regular than him making mistakes like yesterday.

• Like 3

Hope Tyrone got it out of his system with that error. Even if it put a fork in us yesterday, we didn't lose any points because of it.

I'm still "a fool" for Tyrone. I think we need him dearly when he's out. He's the backbone of our defense, not Ezri. Ezri is very good at playing second fiddle though.

This thread is crazy, the guy is far from perfect we all know that. Some love him and put up with his lapses of concentration and others think he's very good until he makes a mistake and then think the guy is fooling the whole world that he is a footballer, ffs.

Some of you push an agenda like stubborn babies, some laugh at people for thinking he's crap and the rest snap at them for laughing and state that everyone with a view different to theirs is wrong.

Not one of you would drop him against Everton next week.

We played Chelsea yesterday not Charlton. Although we were edging it, the whole world knows that you will get punished for everything against this level of opposition and thats what happened for all 3 goals yesterday.

1. World class assist but why did Axel check his run, if thats on Ming's side that doesn't happen, he's all over him and Lukaku doesn't get the easy shot off in the end, why has no one mentioned Axel in this.

2. They pressed us well for the 2nd, Axels pass to mings was a tad overhit and angled to give mings one option, mings **** it up and under hits it back to Steer who was poorly positioned, should steer have anticipated the back pass and known that his clearance would be closed down quickly?  so should he have run on to it and cleared rather then hang back, the whole sequence is a bit of a calamity, but on here its all on Mings.

3. Targett and Mings were caught not being at the races and boom a good player scores a good goal, cos they're good, remember? they're chelsea.

Someone said it yesterday, we are work in progress, some players will become better versions of themselves and save us money and the rest will be upgraded until we start winning things or qualifying for euro regularly. We replace based on priority and opportunity and we probably have 3/4/ maybe 5 that will get us there, the rest that will be upgraded are not all called Tyrone Mings.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No, it isn’t it is totally accurate.

Southgate has a limited number of CB’s to pick from even less that are left footed. He is one of England’s best left footed CB’s.

I don’t think Smith or Southgate are fooled, I think they see his strengths and his weaknesses.

If he has people fooled its a section of Villa fans who don’t.

Fewer.

• Haha 1

Â